Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher

Franchise »

Fantasy RPG games based on a series of Polish novels.

Next Witcher game moving to Unreal 5 along with Epic partnership

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#1 FinalDasa  Moderator

We already knew that a new Witcher game would be coming along, but details have been sparse as CD Projekt Red has focused primarily on Cyberpunk. But with that game drifting further into the past, CDPR has announced some changes with their next venture into the Witcher franchise.

No Caption Provided

The next game, possibly called The Witcher: A New Saga Begins (probably just a marketing image and not an actual name), will be utilizing a new partnership with Epic to utilize the Unreal 5 engine. Epic will be providing technical support during this "multi-year strategic partnership".

It's already been a long while since we last entered the world of The Witcher and CDPR has given no further details or timeline for any new information.

Are you ready for a new Witcher game, especially now that the REDengine will be switched out? What shape will this new game take? Will Geralt even be in them? Will we see him in a bathtub ever again?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I will always be excited for another Witcher game, I'd kinda prefer a Ciri game but I won't be upset if my boy Geralt is back.

But... I might have waited longer to announce this. I Dunno, feels soon. We have only just (mostly) fixed Cyberpunk and there's no way this game isn't a thousand years away.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I wish CDPR would take a page from other recent devs and announce stuff much closer to release.

I can't believe it's been 7 years since The Witcher 3.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 FinalDasa  Moderator

@efesell: @bladeofcreation: I assume this is more business marketing announcing a partnership rather than game marketing spinning up for the next game.

Otherwise, I'd bet this would be a stream where they'd announce the new title and at least give some concept art displayed on a dev's computer shot inside a dimly lit office.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@finaldasa: Good point, this is definitely business rather than game marketing. Maybe I should take a look at Epic stock today...

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Yea, strikes me as “you admired the Witcher franchise but heard it was hell to work on, so we’re switching to a more universal engine to ease onboarding for new hires”

I have no information on this of course but I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s been a significant turnover at mid level positions at CDPR post-CP2077.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Sure, I'd be down for more Witcher. That's a good universe, rife with potential. That insignia is...Cat, I think? If I remember right, the Cat Witcher school eventually just became a ring of assassins for hire, so a story around them could be a very different experience altogether. I'd be surprised if any characters from the original make a return, considering there's a fair bit of variance in how some of those stories go based on what choices were made.

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Doug Cockle no deal.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

CDPR is also (again) claiming they'll have zero crunch on The Witcher 4. I'll believe it when I see it. They said the same about Cyberpunk 2077 and that turned out to be far from the truth.

It's amazing how far CDPR has gone in crumbling their positive perception in the industry.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

Curious if maybe this time around they will just let you create your own character.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

So are we gonna get that Ciri game ten years after TW3?

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Cool news but not really very exciting since you could pretty much guarantee someone was shopping around development ideas for a Witcher sequel the moment 3 shipped.

I really enjoyed their rendition of Ciri but I was kind of hoping for a clean break for a new angle on the fiction. A new school, new cast of characters, new perspective, new mechanics. The star of the Witcher is its universe and even from Witcher 1 they've shown they have a deep understanding on how to tell good stories and draw out the things that make it special. Fairytales and tropes done right is the Witcher Setting.

Didnt really expect anything but I was kind of hoping for a Sorcerer or Sorceress game next. Get real bonkers wielding crazy magic with next gen hardware and interactive political systems. Find some way to make the political equivalent to the Nemesis system. Real pipe dream stuff!

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@junkerman:

Find some way to make the political equivalent to the Nemesis system. Real pipe dream stuff!

WB patented the Nemesis System until 2035 source, your never gonna see it in a non-WB title.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@junkerman:

Find some way to make the political equivalent to the Nemesis system. Real pipe dream stuff!

WB patented the Nemesis System until 2035 source, your never gonna see it in a non-WB title.

The article you sourced says that developers can purchase a license from WB. It also says there is nothing that stops a developer from creating a similar system, as long as it is distinct enough from the WB Nemesis system. So it is possible to see the Nemesis, or similar system, in a non-WB title.

While I think the possibility of CD Projekt buying a license from WB is pretty low, I can see them possibly coming up with a similar system.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.