So 'The Witcher 3' gets announced tomorrow...

  • 91 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for dacnomaniac
#1 Edited by Dacnomaniac (493 posts) -

Yeah, remember that announcement CD Projekt RED are supposed to make? It's tomorrow, and they've already given away the fact it's probably The Witcher 3. So, what are your thoughts, you excited?

Sauce: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-11-secret-witcher-3-message-in-lavish-new-cyberpunk-2077-cgi-video

EDIT: It's been announced!

Interview/Trailer thing:

Some links...

Avatar image for maystack
#2 Posted by Maystack (941 posts) -

Slogged through the first Witcher and enjoyed it. Also kind of hated it. Haven't played Witcher 2 yet. Still kind of excited to see what they reveal, if anything.

Avatar image for shagge
#3 Posted by ShaggE (9215 posts) -

I'll be excited if they call it The Witcher 3: For Witcher or Poorer.

Avatar image for ersanven
#4 Posted by Ersanven (96 posts) -

I hope they fix the UI. The clumsy UI made it really hard for me to get into the second game.

Avatar image for dacnomaniac
#5 Posted by Dacnomaniac (493 posts) -

@Maystack: I much preferred The Witcher 2, story-wise at least. Although, i'd say DO NOT PLAY IT IN SHORT BURSTS. Please don't.

Avatar image for daneian
#6 Posted by Daneian (1308 posts) -

Can't wait. The Witcher 2 is one of my favorite games.

Avatar image for jay_ray
#7 Posted by jay_ray (1569 posts) -

I've tried to play both Witchers multiple times and I just never could, maybe the third time is the charm?

Avatar image for thehbk
#8 Posted by TheHBK (5672 posts) -

They better call it THE WITCH3R

Avatar image for dacnomaniac
#9 Posted by Dacnomaniac (493 posts) -

@Jay_Ray: Honestly? If you didn't like them straight away, especially the story, don't bother. It's just one of those games, get bored with the story, every other thing wrong with it look even worse.

Avatar image for mikkaq
#10 Posted by MikkaQ (10296 posts) -

I got stuck early in The Witcher 2 and gave up when it was brand new. Now I should just restart it, especially with a new one on the way.

Avatar image for topsteer
#11 Posted by topsteer (742 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

I'll be excited if they call it The Witcher 3: For Witcher or Poorer.

How about The Witcher 3: Every Witcher Way but Loose

Sorry about that, I'm bad at puns but that was the first thing that came to mind after reading your comment.

Avatar image for ravenlight
#12 Posted by Ravenlight (8057 posts) -

What's better than The Witcher? That's right, The Witchest.

Avatar image for slashdance
#13 Posted by SlashDance (1867 posts) -

It's a reboot.

The The Witcher.

Avatar image for shagge
#14 Posted by ShaggE (9215 posts) -

@TopSteer said:

@ShaggE said:

I'll be excited if they call it The Witcher 3: For Witcher or Poorer.

How about The Witcher 3: Every Witcher Way but Loose

Sorry about that, I'm bad at puns but that was the first thing that came to mind after reading your comment.

All good, I chortled.

A bad one would be The Witcher 3: You'll Witcher Pants If You Don't Go To The Bathroom Before We Leave.

Also: Witcher 3: Pig in the City. Because every sequel should use "Pig In The City".

Avatar image for cptbedlam
#15 Posted by CptBedlam (4557 posts) -

I really liked Witcher 2 so yeah, I'm looking forward to the third game. Must buy for me.

Avatar image for chop
#16 Posted by Chop (2013 posts) -

I'm pretty excited. The Witcher 2 was such a massive improvement over the first, in both writing and mechanics, if they can pull that off again...

Avatar image for dacnomaniac
#17 Posted by Dacnomaniac (493 posts) -

@SlashDance: Nope. If it was a reboot it would be called:

The Witcher: The Witcher

Avatar image for jay_ray
#18 Posted by jay_ray (1569 posts) -

@Dacnomaniac: Yeah, these type of games I usually love but for whatever reason I just can not get into them. Very frustrating since I know I should like them but I just end up feeling "meh" about them.

Avatar image for nefarious_al
#19 Edited by Nefarious_Al (279 posts) -

If it's just Witcher 2 in an open world. GOTY contender for sure.

Avatar image for slashdance
#20 Posted by SlashDance (1867 posts) -

@Dacnomaniac: TwR : The Witcher. Geralt now has dark hair.

Avatar image for superfriend
#21 Posted by Superfriend (1743 posts) -

I tried liking the second game so damn hard. It just didn´t click. Story and setting were amazing, as were some of the characters, but I just couldn´t get past some of the issues I had with the structure of that game.

I like to explore a world and Witcher 2 seemed to actively punish me for doing that. If I didn´t follow their artificial path laid out for a quest, there was nothing I could do with, for example, the body in the back of that cave that was obviously murdered. Goddamnit.. one day I´m gonna come back to this game. That would be the third time trying to make it through..

That said, maybe they make the third game a little more open and don´t force you to pick up every single quest before at least something interesting happens out in the wild.

Avatar image for chop
#22 Edited by Chop (2013 posts) -

@Jay_Ray said:

@Dacnomaniac: Yeah, these type of games I usually love but for whatever reason I just can not get into them. Very frustrating since I know I should like them but I just end up feeling "meh" about them.

You know, I went through the exact same thing. RPGs like that are my bread and butter so I was determined to try The Witcher. When I first tried it, I fucking hated the game. So much so, that I ignored 2 when it first came out.

Eventually, I ended up with the short story collection Witcher book; I read through it and really got attached to Geralt. So I decided to try the games again and, yeah the first one is really rough and hard to get through, but 2 ended up becoming one of my favorite games in recent years.

Avatar image for spacepenguin
#23 Posted by SpacePenguin (497 posts) -

I've been really trying to get into the first Witcher for the few months. I really want to finish it so I can play the second one but at some points it just gets kinda boring.

Avatar image for dacnomaniac
#24 Posted by Dacnomaniac (493 posts) -

@Nefarious_Al: Well, when they presented their new engine, they said one of their main focuses was Open-World elements. So YAY!

Avatar image for president_barackbar
#25 Posted by President_Barackbar (3639 posts) -

@Maystack said:

Slogged through the first Witcher and enjoyed it. Also kind of hated it. Haven't played Witcher 2 yet. Still kind of excited to see what they reveal, if anything.

You should play The Witcher 2. It's not a game you will have to slog through.

Avatar image for officegamer
#26 Posted by OfficeGamer (1119 posts) -

Can't wait

Avatar image for shookems
#27 Posted by Shookems (479 posts) -

I'm more excited to see their next gen engine in action

Avatar image for boj4ngles
#28 Edited by boj4ngles (302 posts) -

Witcher 1 was a mixed bag, but I liked it. Absolutely loved the Witcher 2. I played it on 360 and it was without a doubt my favorite game of 2012. Like all great sequels, it improved on its predecessor in critical areas. It had brilliant combat, an outstanding artistic design, great voice acting, and a serious story. The story was at times a little jumpy, and I can understand how some people prefer a more "sandboxy" RPG, but I personally loved the more scripted experience and all the careful attention to detail that came with it.

I also want to point out how much of a technical achievement Witcher 2 was. It is without any doubt the best looking game on the 360 today and maybe forever. So from a purely technical standpoint, you could argue it is that generation's best port.

So yeah, I am very excited to play Witcher 3.

Avatar image for maystack
#29 Posted by Maystack (941 posts) -

@President_Barackbar said:

You should play The Witcher 2. It's not a game you will have to slog through.

Yeah I keep meaning to get it, but I always seem to have loads of other games to play whenever it's on sale. I'll get around to it eventually, especially if the third one looks good.

Avatar image for jakob187
#30 Posted by jakob187 (22947 posts) -

I still haven't finished the first game, and I've got the second game on the computer at the moment. A lot of it just has to do with not having the time to dedicate to them. There's probably 30 some-odd games on my computer that I still need to get through, but League of Legends and Guild Wars 2 keep taking up all of that time.

...and XCOM. That goddamn XCOM is too good.

Nonetheless, I'm excited about the reveal...and I'm also curious when the release date will be. I would assume this year, but then again, Cyberpunk 2077 isn't until 2015, so who knows?

Avatar image for seppli
#31 Edited by Seppli (11232 posts) -

@Maystack said:

Slogged through the first Witcher and enjoyed it. Also kind of hated it. Haven't played Witcher 2 yet. Still kind of excited to see what they reveal, if anything.

You should play The Witcher 2 ASAP. It's the Bioware game, Bioware wishes it could make. If that sounds like something for you, you'd better jump through any and every hoop that's between you and playing this game.

The progress CD Projekt Red has made from the first Witcher to the second, in every way - it's almost unbelievable. The Witcher 2 is a top shelf game by any standard.

Ontopic: I am excited for anything CD Projekt Red touches. The Witcher 3's gonna be great.

Avatar image for random45
#32 Posted by Random45 (1805 posts) -

I really hope they adjust the difficulty some. Normal mode felt like I was playing Demon's Souls all over again, but easy mode was so ridiculously easy that it was a bore.

I must also be one of the few people who REALLY enjoyed the first game. I actually think I liked it more than the second one, but that may be because I died every twenty seconds in the second game... Regardless, the stories in both were great, and I really look forward to seeing where it'll all go in the third game.

Avatar image for jacdg
#33 Posted by JacDG (2187 posts) -

That's a stupid question, hell yes I'm excited! The Witcher 2 was one of the best games I've played in the past 5-6 years, played it while I was on break, 30 hours in 3 days, I never do that, never. I just hope that my decent laptop will be able to run it, it ran Witcher 2 pretty well on medium/high, but this might be a challenge.

Avatar image for humanity
#34 Posted by Humanity (18592 posts) -

Witcher 2 was excellent I am excited to play the third one if they continue refining the formula. Also more hot-springs action is also a bonus.

Avatar image for onyxghost
#35 Posted by onyxghost (387 posts) -

Witcher 2 was fantastic. I can't wait to visit Geralt of Rivia again.

Avatar image for markwahlberg
#36 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4713 posts) -

@boj4ngles said:

Witcher 1 was a mixed bag, but I liked it. Absolutely loved the Witcher 2. I played it on 360 and it was without a doubt my favorite game of 2012. Like all great sequels, it improved on its predecessor in critical areas. It had brilliant combat, an outstanding artistic design, great voice acting, and a serious story. The story was at times a little jumpy, and I can understand how some people prefer a more "sandboxy" RPG, but I personally loved the more scripted experience and all the careful attention to detail that came with it.

I also want to point out how much of a technical achievement Witcher 2 was. It is without any doubt the best looking game on the 360 today and maybe forever. So from a purely technical standpoint, you could argue it is that generation's best port.

So yeah, I am very excited to play Witcher 3.

I take it the 360 port is pretty solid then? I was wondering whether it would be worth waiting till I had a proper PC to run it or not.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
#37 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (1712 posts) -

I loved both of the Witcher games. I wish the third one would have more of the smaller adventures and not go the "savior of the world" -route.

Avatar image for john1912
#38 Posted by John1912 (2504 posts) -

So where is the secret in the video? Anyone have a still? I didnt see shit on the Neogaf link. Looks like some random stills of and some Shannon Elizabeth photos as entertaining as those are.

Avatar image for dacnomaniac
#39 Posted by Dacnomaniac (493 posts) -
No Caption Provided

@John1912: There you go...

Avatar image for mooseymcman
#40 Posted by MooseyMcMan (12627 posts) -

Cool.

Avatar image for ghost_cat
#41 Posted by ghost_cat (2241 posts) -

Hope it's using that sweet new tech they have been touting about lately.

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
#42 Posted by NoCookiesForYou (856 posts) -

Really enjoyed the first one and the second one was even better. I welcome this announcement.

Avatar image for vitor
#43 Posted by Vitor (3088 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

I'll be excited if they call it The Witcher 3: For Witcher or Poorer.

That. Was genius.

Also, I'm so beyond excited it's not even reasonable. Witcher 2 is probably one of my favourite games of this generation. If they manage to fix the combat, then I 3 will certainly be something to look out for.

Avatar image for mildmolasses
#44 Posted by MildMolasses (3200 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

@TopSteer said:

@ShaggE said:

I'll be excited if they call it The Witcher 3: For Witcher or Poorer.

How about The Witcher 3: Every Witcher Way but Loose

Sorry about that, I'm bad at puns but that was the first thing that came to mind after reading your comment.

All good, I chortled.

A bad one would be The Witcher 3: You'll Witcher Pants If You Don't Go To The Bathroom Before We Leave.

Also: Witcher 3: Pig in the City. Because every sequel should use "Pig In The City".

You know what, I was all set to consider you my favourite poster when you did the Amnesia: Pig in the City joke, but you just killed it. For shame

Anyway, what if Geralt has a twin and we get The Witcher 3: Which Witcher's Which?

Avatar image for wolf_blitzer85
#45 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5455 posts) -

Oh gosh. I want it.

Avatar image for john1912
#46 Posted by John1912 (2504 posts) -

@Dacnomaniac said:

No Caption Provided

@John1912: There you go...

Ahh, I thought it was buried in a image in the middle of the trailer. Like in a reflection.

Avatar image for shagge
#47 Posted by ShaggE (9215 posts) -

@MildMolasses said:

@ShaggE said:

@TopSteer said:

@ShaggE said:

I'll be excited if they call it The Witcher 3: For Witcher or Poorer.

How about The Witcher 3: Every Witcher Way but Loose

Sorry about that, I'm bad at puns but that was the first thing that came to mind after reading your comment.

All good, I chortled.

A bad one would be The Witcher 3: You'll Witcher Pants If You Don't Go To The Bathroom Before We Leave.

Also: Witcher 3: Pig in the City. Because every sequel should use "Pig In The City".

You know what, I was all set to consider you my favourite poster when you did the Amnesia: Pig in the City joke, but you just killed it. For shame

Anyway, what if Geralt has a twin and we get The Witcher 3: Which Witcher's Which?

I couldn't let the "Pig in the City" thing go, sadly... :P

Personally, I'd hope he gets 99 evil twins, and one is devoured by a creature. The Witcher 3: I've Got 99 Problems, But a Witch Ate One.

(I have no idea if you fight witches in these games)

Avatar image for jimbo
#48 Posted by Jimbo (10472 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

@TopSteer said:

@ShaggE said:

I'll be excited if they call it The Witcher 3: For Witcher or Poorer.

How about The Witcher 3: Every Witcher Way but Loose

Sorry about that, I'm bad at puns but that was the first thing that came to mind after reading your comment.

All good, I chortled.

A bad one would be The Witcher 3: You'll Witcher Pants If You Don't Go To The Bathroom Before We Leave.

Also: Witcher 3: Pig in the City. Because every sequel should use "Pig In The City".

The Witcher 3: Witcher Talkin' 'Bout, Willis?

Avatar image for theht
#49 Posted by TheHT (15797 posts) -

another reminder that i must finish the witcher 1.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
#50 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3413 posts) -

Neat. I never played the others but they seemed cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.