So 'The Witcher 3' gets announced tomorrow...

• 91 results
#51 Posted by ArtisanBreads (9107 posts) -

Some are speculating this is going to be the Game Informer cover, which would be awesome.

I'd love for W3 to be a big time success.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
#52 Posted by colourful_hippie (5896 posts) -

More Witcher sounds great to me.

#53 Posted by JohnLocke (752 posts) -

@Dacnomaniac said:

@Maystack: I much preferred The Witcher 2, story-wise at least. Although, i'd say DO NOT PLAY IT IN SHORT BURSTS. Please don't.

What do you mean by playing it in short burts? I tend to play a game for a bit and then leave it a while (days/weeks, maybe longer sometimes) and then go back to it depending on how much it sucks me in (so some games I get done very fast and some take a long time if they even get finished at all).

Thanks.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
#54 Edited by colourful_hippie (5896 posts) -

@JohnLocke said:

@Dacnomaniac said:

@Maystack: I much preferred The Witcher 2, story-wise at least. Although, i'd say DO NOT PLAY IT IN SHORT BURSTS. Please don't.

What do you mean by playing it in short burts? I tend to play a game for a bit and then leave it a while (days/weeks, maybe longer sometimes) and then go back to it depending on how much it sucks me in (so some games I get done very fast and some take a long time if they even get finished at all).

Thanks.

The fiction is dense as hell with a lot of subplots and characters to keep track of, you're most likely going to lose the thread and be lost by only playing it sparingly and coming back to it a lot later. Same goes for the gameplay and the general mechanics.

#55 Posted by Zooey74 (59 posts) -

Word on the street is that its a 'cross' game with the blood on the sand series entitled 'Get Witcher; Die trying'

#56 Edited by Jeust (11739 posts) -

Witch3r for the Wii U, with Mario and Luigi as recruitable characters and Princess Peach as a love interest.

#57 Posted by triple07 (1268 posts) -

Damn it I still need to finish the first Witcher! I have such a huge backlog of games.

#58 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2038 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

@MildMolasses said:

@ShaggE said:

@TopSteer said:

@ShaggE said:

I'll be excited if they call it The Witcher 3: For Witcher or Poorer.

How about The Witcher 3: Every Witcher Way but Loose

Sorry about that, I'm bad at puns but that was the first thing that came to mind after reading your comment.

All good, I chortled.

A bad one would be The Witcher 3: You'll Witcher Pants If You Don't Go To The Bathroom Before We Leave.

Also: Witcher 3: Pig in the City. Because every sequel should use "Pig In The City".

You know what, I was all set to consider you my favourite poster when you did the Amnesia: Pig in the City joke, but you just killed it. For shame

Anyway, what if Geralt has a twin and we get The Witcher 3: Which Witcher's Which?

I couldn't let the "Pig in the City" thing go, sadly... :P

Personally, I'd hope he gets 99 evil twins, and one is devoured by a creature. The Witcher 3: I've Got 99 Problems, But a Witch Ate One.

(I have no idea if you fight witches in these games)

For fuck's sake I need more Witcher puns. This thread sucks, there's only like two of them. Here's one.

The Witcher: That One

This thread sucks until we get a 90% pun rate going.

#59 Posted by Animasta (14948 posts) -

@HaltIamReptar said:

@ShaggE said:

@MildMolasses said:

@ShaggE said:

@TopSteer said:

@ShaggE said:

I'll be excited if they call it The Witcher 3: For Witcher or Poorer.

How about The Witcher 3: Every Witcher Way but Loose

Sorry about that, I'm bad at puns but that was the first thing that came to mind after reading your comment.

All good, I chortled.

A bad one would be The Witcher 3: You'll Witcher Pants If You Don't Go To The Bathroom Before We Leave.

Also: Witcher 3: Pig in the City. Because every sequel should use "Pig In The City".

You know what, I was all set to consider you my favourite poster when you did the Amnesia: Pig in the City joke, but you just killed it. For shame

Anyway, what if Geralt has a twin and we get The Witcher 3: Which Witcher's Which?

I couldn't let the "Pig in the City" thing go, sadly... :P

Personally, I'd hope he gets 99 evil twins, and one is devoured by a creature. The Witcher 3: I've Got 99 Problems, But a Witch Ate One.

(I have no idea if you fight witches in these games)

For fuck's sake I need more Witcher puns. This thread sucks, there's only like two of them. Here's one.

The Witcher: That One

This thread sucks until we get a 90% pun rate going.

fuck that

I don't want this place to be like RPS :(

#60 Posted by Dchao (60 posts) -

I got to the town after fucking around in the sewers and stopped playing. I don't know if I like the Witcher series.

#61 Edited by Animasta (14948 posts) -

@Dchao said:

I got to the town after fucking around in the sewers and stopped playing. I don't know if I like the Witcher series.

the second one is much much better than the first, I'd honestly try that before writing it off entirely (I gritted my teeth through 1 but I played through 2 a total of 3 times)

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
#62 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8734 posts) -

Witcher 2 came and knocked all my favorite titles on their ass and took its throne as the best game ever for me personally.

So I'm quite stoked for Witcher 3.

#63 Posted by Dchao (60 posts) -

@Animasta: Does the first Witcher game pick up the pace and get interesting at any point?

How open world does the game end up, the start had little to no exploration, these people love their fences.

#64 Posted by Zooey74 (59 posts) -

In answer to the OP's question. If it turns out like the first 2 acts of The Witcher 2 I'm very excited, act 3 less so.

#65 Posted by PillClinton (3603 posts) -

I wonder if this one will also be a given as a Presidential gift from Poland to Obama.

#66 Posted by Animasta (14948 posts) -

@Dchao said:

@Animasta: Does the first Witcher game pick up the pace and get interesting at any point?

How open world does the game end up, the start had little to no exploration, these people love their fences.

honestly, not really, not until chapter 5/6/epilogue, and knowing that stuff isn't really that relevant to the story in 2. (other than the wild hunt stuff)

I mean I liked some of the stuff in the earlier chapters, but that first game is definitely a slog.

#67 Posted by Marz (6095 posts) -

yup, witcher 2 was my game of the year in 2011 and  knew that the story had to continue so it wasn't unexpected for them to make this announcement.

#68 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19845 posts) -

No one's posted this yet...?

Commentor in the NeoGAF thread posting info:

Ok wow, the text is small. I don't want to miss anything good. Here's a small few things I got that I loved.
World supposedly 20% bigger than Skyrim's
30-40 minutes to cross world on Horseback
New streaming technology (CDRED Engine 3)
Geralt's Memory is restored
No chapters/acts
Dude is fucking DONE fighting for everyone else
Everything from solving MYSTERIES to slaying monsters
Coming out on "all top-of-the-line" consoles - I'd say that confirms next-gen is in.
I'll be back with more.
#69 Edited by ArtisanBreads (9107 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ

YES!

That beard is badass. Wow can't wait to read more. I hope horse back riding is part of gameplay.

Also from NeoGAF:

• World supposedly 20% bigger than Skyrim's
  • 30-40 minutes to cross world on Horseback
  • New streaming technology (CDRED Engine 3)
  • Geralt's Memory is restored
  • No chapters/acts
  • Dude is fucking DONE fighting for everyone else
  • Everything from solving MYSTERIES to slaying monsters
  • Coming out on "all top-of-the-line" consoles - I'd say that confirms next-gen is in.

Really interested to see how Geralt being his own man will turn out this time. I really loved choice in Witcher 2 but it was still a bit A or B. With this being open world and Geralt more independent... could be very interesting.

#70 Posted by RadixNegative2 (547 posts) -

Sweet :D

Please release a trailer soon! I need to see this game running!

#71 Posted by DaMisterChief (612 posts) -

More Computer boobs and butt

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
#72 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2429 posts) -

Oh man, can't wait to see some gameplay.

#73 Posted by JZ (2342 posts) -

tell us about what really matters, the boneing.

#74 Edited by ArtisanBreads (9107 posts) -

From Indigo Cyclops on NeoGAF:

So it's saying that they had to change up their design philosophy when developing TW3, due to the open world structure. So NARRATIVE comes in three forms:

• Lowest level = free form activities like crafting, monster slaying (seems to be much more extensive this time around) and questing.
  • Next level = Political situation of Nilfgaardian invastion is resolved through a core plotline for each area. These areas? -> Skellige, Novigrad and No Mans Land!
  • Final level = Geralt's main plot line, his search for his loved ones, and the chase of the Wild Hunt.

Sounds like a lot of interwoven plotlines, decision making. You can skip things if you really want, but there will be consequences to your actions if you do so.

#75 Edited by Dacnomaniac (493 posts) -
#76 Posted by lukos (105 posts) -

I'm still playing trough The Witcher but from what I saw of the second game I'm anxious to see what they can do with the third one.

#77 Posted by Abendlaender (3075 posts) -

Yes, Geralt is back and is now rocking a Gabe Newell beard!

Man I'm pumped for this game, I looooooove The Witcher I, really, really like The Witcher II and now it's time for The Witcher III!

....well, in a year or so.

#78 Edited by Nefarious_Al (279 posts) -

Nice, a must get for me. Only question now is PC or next gen system?

#79 Posted by Sooty (8193 posts) -

@Dacnomaniac: 0:26 LOOK AT THAT MANE

#80 Edited by Dacnomaniac (493 posts) -

@Nefarious_Al: Might wanna take a look at the article I linked... :)

#81 Edited by Castiel (3473 posts) -

@SlashDance said:

@Dacnomaniac: TwR : The Witcher. Geralt now has dark hair.

And I already hate him. Lets make a petition so the developers can see that we don't like it. We want the old Geralt back goddammit!

#82 Posted by Dacnomaniac (493 posts) -

@Castiel said:

@SlashDance said:

And I already hate him. Lets make a petition so the developers can see that we don't like it. We want the old Geralt back goddammit!

> MFW: Geralt now has a beard

#83 Posted by OfficeGamer (1119 posts) -

@Castiel said:

@SlashDance said:

@Dacnomaniac: TwR : The Witcher. Geralt now has dark hair.

You have every right to try and keep The White Wolf you've grown to love, a freaking white wolf.. What's with the cynicism?

#84 Posted by Dacnomaniac (493 posts) -

@OfficeGamer: D-d-dante? His hair changed colour...everyone flipped shit...remember?

#85 Edited by OfficeGamer (1119 posts) -

@Dacnomaniac said:

@OfficeGamer: D-d-dante? His hair changed colour...everyone flipped shit...remember?

Yes, and I'm defending people flipping shit over Dante through my comment about Geralt. Clearly I wasn't actually talking about Geralt himself because they're keeping his hair white.

#86 Posted by boj4ngles (302 posts) -

@MarkWahlberg said:

@boj4ngles said:

Witcher 1 was a mixed bag, but I liked it. Absolutely loved the Witcher 2. I played it on 360 and it was without a doubt my favorite game of 2012. Like all great sequels, it improved on its predecessor in critical areas. It had brilliant combat, an outstanding artistic design, great voice acting, and a serious story. The story was at times a little jumpy, and I can understand how some people prefer a more "sandboxy" RPG, but I personally loved the more scripted experience and all the careful attention to detail that came with it.

I also want to point out how much of a technical achievement Witcher 2 was. It is without any doubt the best looking game on the 360 today and maybe forever. So from a purely technical standpoint, you could argue it is that generation's best port.

So yeah, I am very excited to play Witcher 3.

I take it the 360 port is pretty solid then? I was wondering whether it would be worth waiting till I had a proper PC to run it or not.

Well from what I've seen, the pc version does look better, but is it worth waiting for? I don't think so. The 360 version looks amazing for what it is. It looks better than many current PS3 games. As I said, it looks better than ANY other 360 title. As long as you're cool with a controller (and they did an excellent job porting controls) then I highly recommend the 360 version. And an HD tv. Oh, and make sure you have like 15 gb of free hard drive because you'll need to do the game installation.

#87 Posted by dr_mantas (2558 posts) -
Loading Video...

Man, how far they've come. I remember watching previews about the first Witcher, and they were showing off dynamic weather systems and motion capturing cool swordfighting...

Wait, they're still doing that! And also an open world... Never change, CD Project!

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
#88 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4569 posts) -

Witcher 3 : Monster Hunter

#89 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4713 posts) -

@boj4ngles said:

Well from what I've seen, the pc version does look better, but is it worth waiting for? I don't think so. The 360 version looks amazing for what it is. It looks better than many current PS3 games. As I said, it looks better than ANY other 360 title. As long as you're cool with a controller (and they did an excellent job porting controls) then I highly recommend the 360 version. And an HD tv. Oh, and make sure you have like 15 gb of free hard drive because you'll need to do the game installation.

Hmm. When you say 'need to install', are we talking, like, to get rid of long-assed load times? Or need to install as in, game is basically unplayable otherwise? Because I'm rocking one of the old 20 gig hard drives...

#90 Posted by boj4ngles (302 posts) -

@MarkWahlberg said:

@boj4ngles said:

Hmm. When you say 'need to install', are we talking, like, to get rid of long-assed load times? Or need to install as in, game is basically unplayable otherwise? Because I'm rocking one of the old 20 gig hard drives...

I just checked my xbox, the install for disc 1 was 7.7gb, so I assume the total install will be 15.4gb. The load times are not too bad, even without the install and the game does a good job of including seamless transitions when it can. The real reason you want the install is because the texture detail is noticeably better. But it might be kinda hard to get it all on a 20gb hard drive as you're going to need another gig for saves.

#91 Posted by Dixavd (2895 posts) -

"Everyone likes an open world game"...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.