Wiedźmin? I hardly know him!

#1 Edited by TheTickTockMan (11 posts) -

Hey Bombpeople, I'm really interested in getting in way deep into the Witcher lore, is there a specific place I should start? From what I understand there's a good bit of creative license taken by the different authors/game devs vis a vis how the characters develop and how magic works, that kind of world-building stuff. In your own opinion, where's the best jumping-on point? Should I straight up start with Sword of Destiny? I haven't been able to delve deep into any of the game lore really, should I start there? Really I plan to read EVERYTHING so where to start isn't really a big issue, just thought it'd be cool to get some feedback.

...sorry for the title...

[Edit] - Took off (Book Talk) cause I'm an idiot, talking about the game lore next to the book lore was one of the main reasons I even wanted to write a post...

#2 Posted by thebrainninja (377 posts) -

I haven't read any of the books, but I don't think all of them are translated? I think more of them might be now, since that franchise has gotten a bigger mind share. If I recall correctly, the games are all after the novels? Like, the event that causes Geralt's memory loss was "the end" of the novels. I could be wrong, but that was my impression (I have not yet finished Witcher 2, so this is mostly from when I was deep in Witcher 1).

#3 Posted by bigmess (458 posts) -

I just started reading The Last Wish. It's a great introduction into the character. It's mostly short stories loosely tied together as chapters rather than a novel.

Sword of Destiny I guess was published first but it takes place after The Last Wish, and is more short stories. It's also kind of hard to find an english translation at the moment, I guess a new edition is coming out this December.

And then you have all of the novels starting with Blood of Elves.

But The Last Wish is reeeeeaaaallly good so far. I've never had to look up so many words while reading a book, and it's awesome.

#4 Edited by nophilip (681 posts) -

You should definitely start with the first collection of short stories, The Last Wish. It's the starting point of the series chronologically (in-world, not by publish date), and is a really great introduction to who Geralt is, what Witchers do, and what kind of world The Continent is. The cutscene at the beginning of the first game is actually a depiction of the first proper story in the book, titled "The Witcher", which details Geralt's fight with a Striga.

I started by playing the first two games. Totally fell in love with the world and Geralt as a character, so I picked up The Last Wish. From there I read the first 3 novels: Blood of Elves, Time of Contempt, and Baptism of Fire. Books 4 and 5 aren't due out in English until 2016 and 2017, respectively.

@bigmess: Most of the stories from The Last Wish were published before the stories in Sword of Destiny, but Sword of Destiny as a collection was published before The Last Wish was.

#5 Posted by Zeik (5185 posts) -

Read The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny. They're both collections of short stories based around Geralt and introduces the majority of the major recurring characters. They're relatively self-contained, unlike the later novels, but I wold start with The Last Wish.

I know they're finally releasing Sword of Destiny in English, but if you don't want to wait there's a solid fan translation online that I read.

#6 Posted by TheTickTockMan (11 posts) -

@nophilip: Thanks for all the info! Sounds like The Last Wish is the way to go! I'm pretty excited to get into a series of books, haven't had anything to read for a while.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
#7 Posted by President_Barackbar (3639 posts) -

I've read all the currently available books that have been officially translated (The Last Wish, Blood of Elves, Time of Contempt, Baptism of Fire) and they're all definitely worth your time, fantastic reads. I'm kind of salty that I finished Baptism of Fire already since the next one isn't due to be released until next year.

#8 Edited by Karkarov (3385 posts) -

You read them in this order, and all of the books I am about to name are available in English via official release. They are on Amazon.com even.

1. The Last Wish
  2. The Sword of Destiny
  3. Blood of Elves
  4. Time of Contempt
  5. Baptism of Fire

There are two books after those, but they haven't been translated to English yet. At least not in an official capacity.

#9 Posted by csl316 (14946 posts) -

@karkarov said:

You read them in this order, and all of the books I am about to name are available in English via official release. They are on Amazon.com even.

1. The Last Wish
  2. The Sword of Destiny
  3. Blood of Elves
  4. Time of Contempt
  5. Baptism of Fire

There are two books after those, but they haven't been translated to English yet. At least not in an official capacity.

Yes, that is the order. You're in luck because Sword of Destiny just got translated. I had to read online fan translations, with characters having all sorts of different names. Those first two are short story collections and give you a ton of insight into the world and characters.

Witcher lore is more accessible than ever!

#10 Posted by DookieRope (303 posts) -

The real question here, is it Dan-dill-Leon or just dandelion.

#11 Edited by Karkarov (3385 posts) -

@dookierope said:

The real question here, is it Dan-dill-Leon or just dandelion.

It is Dandelion, just like the flower. Specifically "Dandy - Lion"

#12 Posted by FlashFlood_29 (4393 posts) -

The short stories... they're such a slow charring burn, then all of a sudden towards the end just flashover in an instant lol Every time a story is disappointing, all of a sudden it turns into drama and action and leaves me dumbfounded and wanting to read on lol

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.