Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witness

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 26, 2016

An exploration-focused puzzle-adventure game led by the creator of the 2008 indie game Braid. While exploring a quiet but colorful island, players must solve a series of maze-like puzzles on numerous electronic puzzle consoles.

All Audio Logs in the Witness

deachem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deachem

Edit: Hot tip thanks to @yellownumber5:

You can also find transcripts of sorts in the game directory under data\strings. They are scripting for the subtitles, in multiple languages and timestamped.

After hearing Austin was going to be doing a thinkpiece on the Witness, I decided to jump back in and hunt down all of the audio logs I was missing to see what interpretations I might come up with for myself. There weren't any guides that I could find when I started, so I figured I'd make one myself. Sure, you could use the flowers in the lake as a map, but if that sounds like too much work, keep scrolling!

Altogether, there are 49 logs. This guide begins at the starting area, moves East to the Monastery, then moves clockwise around the island. Apologies if the recorders are too hard to see in some places: I adjusted the FOV in some shots to show more of the surroundings for context, but this can shrink the audio recorders themselves. Keep an eye out for the glowy green and yellow lights!

Also, if you're still working on figuring out all of the puzzles for yourself, many screenshots below spoil various solutions across the island. You've been warned!

Starting Area (4)

Walled Garden (Rooftop):
    Walled Garden (Rooftop): "Searching for, but never finding, the builder of this house." Unattributed (Ashley Johnson)
    Walled Garden (Above Exit):
    Walled Garden (Above Exit): "It is a complicated business." Arthur Eddington (Matthew Waterson)
    Walled Garden (In Outer Wall):
    Walled Garden (In Outer Wall): "Not one I would want to devote myself to, except for the society of true searchers." -Albert Einstein (Phil LaMarr)
    Binary Squares Tutorial:
    Binary Squares Tutorial: "We should maintain the tension resulting from these two opposites." -Werner Heisenberg (Matthew Waterson)

The Monastery (1)

Monastery:
    Monastery: "Acts of perception attach themselves only to veils, which leave traces in the owner of the eye that percieves them." -ibn Arabi

The Ruined Town (5)

Town (By Reflector Panel):
    Town (By Reflector Panel): "The clock never strikes the hour, save when the concept biddeth." -Nicholas of Cusa (Phil LaMarr)
    Town (Chapel):
    Town (Chapel): "The God of the church isn't Big Enough." -Richard Feynman"Enter thou into the joy of thy Lord." -Augustine of Hippo
    Town (Bell Tower):
    Town (Bell Tower): "They stop their ears and say they cannot hear Thee." Hans Denck (Ashley Johnson)
    Town (By Column):
    Town (By Column): "The human mind, no matter how highly trained, cannot grasp the universe." -Albert Einstein (Ashley Johnson)

Symmetry (2)

Symmetry (By Fading Line Puzzles):
    Symmetry (By Fading Line Puzzles): "Thus, my God, you are equally invisible and visible." -Nicholas of Cusa (Ashley Johnson)
    Symmetry (Near Beam):
    Symmetry (Near Beam): "It is only when you hunt for [the Inner Light] that you lose it." -Yung-chia Ta-shih (Ashley Johnson)

The Desert (1)

Desert (North of Digsite) Einstein:
    Desert (North of Digsite) Einstein: "Serious scientific workers are the only profoundly religious people." (Phil LaMarr)

The Quarry (1)

Quarry (In an alcove inside): Quote byHugh Kingsmill (Phil LaMarr)
    Quarry (In an alcove inside): Quote byHugh Kingsmill (Phil LaMarr)

Shady Trees (2)

Forest:
    Forest: "[Zen] recognizes that previously accumulated ideas and knowledge [...] block the direct perception of reality." -David Darling (Terra Deva)
    Forest (Near Beam):
    Forest (Near Beam): "Only listen to the voice of pines and cedars when no wind stirs." -Ryonen (Ashley Johnson)

The Keep and Shipwreck (5)

Shipwreck:
    Shipwreck: "He had acquired his belief not by honestly earning it in patient investigation, but by stifling his doubts." -William K. Clifford
    Keep (Alley):
    Keep (Alley): "Then [such a man] should have no time to believe." -William K. Clifford (Matthew Waterson)
    Keep (Behind Throne):
    Keep (Behind Throne): "Could an 'I' be more like an elusive, receding, shimmering, rainbow than like a tangible [...] pot of gold?" -Douglas Hofstadter
    Keep (To the side of the first glass panel maze):
    Keep (To the side of the first glass panel maze): "And you sit there smiling." -Rabindranath Tagore (Terra Deva)
    Keep (Atop parapet beyond hedge mazes):
    Keep (Atop parapet beyond hedge mazes): "Who is to construct the controlling environment, and to what end?" -B.F. Skinner (Phil LaMarr)

Treehouses (3)

Treehouses (Green bridge positioned to the right):
    Treehouses (Green bridge positioned to the right): "Don't even choose love. Choose silence, and love is apparent." -Gangaji (Ashley Johnson)
    Treehouses (NW Shore):
    Treehouses (NW Shore): "These hearts were woven of human joys and cares, Washed marvellously with sorrow, swift to mirth." -Rupert Brooke
    Treehouses (Boardwalk that connects to the dock):
    Treehouses (Boardwalk that connects to the dock):"...Niffari, circa 970."..."What?" (Ashley Johnson)

Found Via Boat (2)

Via Boat (Near Treehouses):
    Via Boat (Near Treehouses): "There hung a darkness, call it solitude, Or blank desertion." -William Wordsworth (Ashley Johnson)

Oops! There's a minor ending spoiler in this next image. Link here.

And so it is with man. If he could only roam empty through life, who would be able to injure him?" -Zhuangzi

The Marsh (2)

Marshes (Coastal path around the back):
    Marshes (Coastal path around the back): "It simply does not do to expose the workings of a joke." -Arthur Eddington (Ashley Johnson)
    Marshes (Underwater, near the beam)
    Marshes (Underwater, near the beam) "It is true that if we look at a glass of wine closely enough we see the entire universe."-Richard Feynman (Phil LaMarr)

The Jungle and Southern Peninsula (5)

Near Southern Docks:
    Near Southern Docks: "Life would be stunted and narrow if we could feel no significance in the world around us." -Arthur Eddington (Matthew Waterson)
    Southern Peninsula:
    Southern Peninsula: "You are absolute from all things that can fall within any concept." -Nicholas of Cusa (Phil LaMarr)
    Jungle Entrance:
    Jungle Entrance: "We work with being, but non-being is what we use." -Lao Tzu"The two are similar, the affair is confused." -Sahib bin Abbad
    Jungle (Near the Beam):
    Jungle (Near the Beam): "If we did not have a doubt or recognize ignorance, we would not get any new ideas." -Richard Feynman (Phil LaMarr)

Ascending the Mountain and the Greenhouse (3)

Greenhouse (5th Floor): [A super-dense quote from Arthur Eddington about color wavelengths and the inadequecies of materialistic scientific dissection]
    Greenhouse (5th Floor): [A super-dense quote from Arthur Eddington about color wavelengths and the inadequecies of materialistic scientific dissection]
    Mountain Ascent (From path starting on Southeastern face):
    Mountain Ascent (From path starting on Southeastern face): "The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious." -Albert Einstein
    Mountain Ascent (Near Parabolic Arches):
    Mountain Ascent (Near Parabolic Arches): "And you realize from that perspective that you’ve changed." -Russell Schweickart (Terra Deva)

(Endgame Spoilers Below!)

The Bunker (6)

Bunker (First Overlook):
    Bunker (First Overlook): "This is the wall of paradise, and it is there in paradise that you reside." -Nicholas of Cusa (Phil LaMarr)
    Bunker (First Crossing):
    Bunker (First Crossing): "The relationship between the controllers and the controlled is reciprocal." -B.F. Skinner (Phil LaMarr)
    Bunker (Past the first crossing):
    Bunker (Past the first crossing): "Their [Koans] common aim is to induce a kind of intellectual catastrophe." -David Darling (Ashley Johnson)
    Bunker (Second Overlook):
    Bunker (Second Overlook): "If I think while I paint, if I meddle, whoosh! Everyhing goes to pieces." -Paul Cezanne (Matthew Waterson)
    Bunker (Bottom Floor):
    Bunker (Bottom Floor): "Looked at on the astronomical time-scale, humanity is [...] a new-born babe". -James Jeans (Phil LaMarr)
    Bunker (By Exit Door):
    Bunker (By Exit Door): "Sooner or later the pieces of the puzzle must begin to fit together." -James Jeans (Phil LaMarr)

Underground Tunnels AKA The Blooper Cave (7)

Underground (First level, past the elevator): Ashley Johnson & Matthew Waterson
    Underground (First level, past the elevator): Ashley Johnson & Matthew Waterson
    Underground (Second level, past wooden floor puzzles): Phil LaMarr & Matthew Waterson
    Underground (Second level, past wooden floor puzzles): Phil LaMarr & Matthew Waterson
    Underground (Top Level)
    Underground (Top Level)
    Underground (Past elevator towards Marsh exit): Terra Deva & Ashley Johnson
    Underground (Past elevator towards Marsh exit): Terra Deva & Ashley Johnson
    Underground (In water near turn table): Matthew Waterson & Terra Deva
    Underground (In water near turn table): Matthew Waterson & Terra Deva
    Underground (Beneath the wooden town building): Ashley Johnson & Phil LaMarr
    Underground (Beneath the wooden town building): Ashley Johnson & Phil LaMarr
    Underground (Near desert exit): Terra Deva
    Underground (Near desert exit): Terra Deva"

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Badass, thanks!

Also, weird timing, lol. Was looking around online five minutes ago to find locations of the logs in the final area to see if I had missed any.

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

@deachem: You can also find transcripts of sorts in the game directory under data\strings. They are scripting for the subtitles, in multiple languages and timestamped.

deachem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Faltru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Wow, nice work! I missed a ton of these apparently.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#6  Edited By BeachThunder

Thanks. I should go back and get the ones I missed (particularly the 4th wall breaking ones).

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By davidh219

@yellownumber5: Is there anywhere online where I can just read all those transcripts? I have the PS4 version and want to read all the quotes but really don't want to go find them myself or listen to the often sub-par, monotonous voice acting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yellownumber5: Is there anywhere online where I can just read all those transcripts? I have the PS4 version and want to read all the quotes but really don't want to go find them myself or listen to the often sub-par, monotonous voice acting.

You seem like such a joy every time I read your posts.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@crazybagman: I'm sorry? Who the hell are you and what is your problem?

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Awesome thanks! Also holy crap, didn't realize there were 49 of them. I missed a bunch.

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By yellownumber5

**Update: GameFAQs denied the submission, I need to work on formatting it correctly.

@davidh219 said:

I haven't checked. Your Google search would be as good as mine. Maybe I can check Game Faqs and post something if it isn't already there.

I've added it to GameFAQs if it passes submission.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.