Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witness

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 26, 2016

An exploration-focused puzzle-adventure game led by the creator of the 2008 indie game Braid. While exploring a quiet but colorful island, players must solve a series of maze-like puzzles on numerous electronic puzzle consoles.

Release Date Announcement Tomorrow

NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

So, The twitter account for The Witness posted that they're anouncing a release date tomorrow

This has been my most anticipated game for years now so I'm bordering on unreasonably excited about it coming out. Jonathan Blow was also tweeting about going through ESRB and PEGI ratings a week or so ago so I'm pretty confident in it actually coming out this year.

I've intentionally stayed well away from looking at anything that's been shown about this game as to not spoil myself for it. Is anyone else as excited for this? Do you guys feel its long development has dropped your interest at all?

JayPB08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 4

It took almost all of Giant Bomb's lifespan for Jonathan Blow to release his next game...

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Hoping 2015 release date. Drowning in a pile of awesome video games would be the most baller death of all time.

BigDaddyTool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Pretty excited for this one still. Despite whatever opinion you might have of Blow this game looks outstanding.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Holy shit, yes.

Although, given how long I have been waiting for it, I can't help but feel that I'll end up disappointed somehow >_> Damn you hype.

But, really, Jonathan Blow has some pretty great first-person puzzle games to compete with now - both The Talos Principle and Antichamber are utterly fantastic.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I was originally uninterested, but since the original announcement I grew very much in love with Portal 2 and Antechamber (along with a greater appreciation for the slower and more mechanical game genres) so I'm quietly optimistic that this may be for me. Even when I was not wondering about it, I still remembered it due to how happy Ryan sounded talking about playing the demo a couple years ago. Here's hoping the game turned out as he would have liked.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I've been eagerly anticipating this game since its announcement. My dad and I play puzzle games together occasionally (started with Myst waaaaaaay back in the day) and we've both been waiting for this one.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Been waiting far too long.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Fall 2017.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Giant_Gamer

I still don't know a single thing about this game beside that it is "first person puzzle game" and that the "whole world of the game forms one large puzzle". That's enough for me to look forward to this game.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I really hope this game isn't just those line puzzles that they've shown in press stuff.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully it's fun/good

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cmblasko

This is great for 2 reasons:

1. The Witness is finally coming out.

2. Jonathan Blow will have more time to spend on his programming language.

Win-win!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bollard

@rongalaxy said:

I really hope this game isn't just those line puzzles that they've shown in press stuff.

That was the pitch for the game from the very beginning, at least in terms of puzzles. Obviously there is a wider world to explore and secrets to discover to work out why you are there and what is going on, if you meant you were hoping the game literally isn't just picking puzzles from a menu.

Trailer is up:

Loading Video...

26/01/16 by the looks of it, although I have to imagine there's a reason the date was written in that very specific way. 4 days after my birthday, thanks for the present Blow!

Side note: it's gorgeous.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a big preview on Polygon too, but I'm not going to read it because I want to know as little as possible about this before release.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.