Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witness

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 26, 2016

An exploration-focused puzzle-adventure game led by the creator of the 2008 indie game Braid. While exploring a quiet but colorful island, players must solve a series of maze-like puzzles on numerous electronic puzzle consoles.

[Solved] The Witness: First 30 minutes....I have no idea what to do [Spoilers!]

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By clagnaught

For the record, I know I shouldn't do this. I wasn't even going to seek outside help for this game, but I thought that for an 80 hour game with hundreds of puzzles, I would have plenty of stuff to work on, so who cares if I get stumped. But I wasn't expecting to get stumped like this, let alone so early.

So here's the situation:

• I walked around the garden after I escaped the tunnel. Cleared those puzzles.
    • I figured out the sun with the beam light puzzle. Opened the door which lead to the resort like area.
    • I walked up the stairs and kept going through the only path I could see.
    • I walked through the cave like area. Didn't see any puzzles I could interact with. Kept walking.
    • Walked through the next resort like area. Didn't see any puzzles. Kept walking.
    • Entered the dark hallway. Saw one puzzle with the 2 suns at the bottom and the four black dots and four white dots, but couldn't figure out the mechanics. Tried a few random things and made guesses on what to do. Couldn't figure out. Assumed I wasn't ready to do it. Kept walking.
    • Went through the...cosmos hallway(?)...where there was stuff floating in space(?)...and went through a door that randomly appeared(?), and...
    • HOLY SHIT THERE'S FMV IN THIS GAME?!?!?!!
    • And then the game crashes, I load up the game again, and I'm back at the sun puzzle, and nothing seems to change.

I ran through those areas 3 times now and I have no clue. Nothing has changed with the FMV. I only saw one more puzzle I could interact with. If I walk through the door again, I get the same FMV scene.

So yeah, I don't want to know the solution exactly, but...am I missing something that's really fucking obvious? I don't want to know any "spoilers" about future stuff and I don't want to Google anything about this game or look at any spoiler threads on the site until I feel done/satisfied with it. But still, the way things are right now, I don't feel like I can even play this game and get pass 1% completion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5be09b084ef21
    deactivated-5be09b084ef21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@clagnaught: That's the ending. To play the actual game open the first gate using the panels instead of the sun.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clagnaught: That's the ending. To play the actual game open the first gate using the panels instead of the sun.

And I thought I was being clever. What a weird game.

Thanks for the help!

Avatar image for deactivated-5967fc912058b
    deactivated-5967fc912058b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy crap I sort of stopped reading at FMV because I'm gonna go ahead and say first 30 minute spoilers is kind of inaccurate. I'm a few hours in and haven't seen anything like that but good luck.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whoops too much info stopped reading partway but too late, wanted to help out cuz im a couple hours deep but man wtf (obviously not OPs fault).Note to self: Im staying off this games forums till I beat it myself. I saw some fmv too like an hour in but not endgame stuff.

Id definitely have appreciated some spoilertags, especially due to the nature of just calling this a first 30 min spoiler

glok1132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really wish this game had a demo. I will either love this game or completely bounce off it. $40 is relatively cheap for a great game, but a lot of money for something I dislike.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can you edit this post title or something? I came in here wanting to help a bro through the tutorial but ended up reading stuff I feel I shouldn't have =/

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By clagnaught

@icil: @lestephan: @doenut:

Hey guys, I am truly sorry about all of that. Just to reiterate, I assumed more people saw what I saw. I guess not everyone stumbled up that, but all of that was within the first 30 minutes of me playing the game (like that was the time played on Steam and everything). Again, sorry.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clagnaught: No worries man, it's an honest mistake. I'm more a journey > destination kind of guy so I'll still have my fun.

Damn tempting to go back and do what you did though...

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LeStephan

@clagnaught: yeah man, no need to feel bad about it haha could have happened to anyone. Who would have thought that one could just stumble upon one of the endings so fast :')

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

The same exact thing happened to me - I'm in the same boat as you OP.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By BBAlpert

Fuck, I'm way more than 30 minutes in and I haven't run into what you mentioned in one of those tags. I mean, I can't really blame you for it, it's more on me than anything else. And what I just read wasn't THAT big in the grand scheme of things. But still...

FUCK

*edit: That's probably what Jeff was talking about on the Bombcast, isn't it? Fuck! I did this to myself...*

Avatar image for deactivated-5967fc912058b
    deactivated-5967fc912058b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clagnaught: Yeah, no worries. Looking forward to just beating this game so I can just read some wiki. I don't see myself 100 percenting this thing.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

I saw the FMV spot after maybe 30 minutes too. I don't think I was supposed to see that so early.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.