Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witness

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 26, 2016

An exploration-focused puzzle-adventure game led by the creator of the 2008 indie game Braid. While exploring a quiet but colorful island, players must solve a series of maze-like puzzles on numerous electronic puzzle consoles.

The Witness: How many have you solved? (NO SPOILERS)

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

263 +2, 13 hours according to steam. I just found my first + thingy, and then found another one now that I know what to look for.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Still playing. I'm up to 438+56. Some of those +s are really annoying to get. I'm also still missing a couple of honeycomb blueprints. I've only watched two of the videos though. I kinda can't be bothered watching them :|

Avatar image for washablemarkers
    washablemarkers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think I'm at 150.

Nordom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#204  Edited By Nordom

I am at 269 with no +'s, I have no idea what that is:-)

Quite an amazing game.

I think it is really interesting how the game teaches you how to solve puzzles through solving puzzles and not a block of text.

Edit: 334 in and found my first +. :-)

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#205  Edited By Sessh

I'm at about 21 hours or so and have now finally cleared the fucking jungle area. Took me almost 7 hours to finish it and I've not hated anything in a game quite as much as that area in years. Ugh.

Now I'm stuck in the village.

347+35

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm only at 145 or something like that after six hours, though I tend to fixate on hard puzzles instead of deciding to go back to them at later times. That said, I had this amazing moment with one of the marsh puzzles this morning. I couldn't get the answer after quite a bit of playing yesterday and then when I woke up this morning I was thinking of the puzzle in my bed and the answer came to me. So I loaded up the game to make sure I wasn't making up fake solutions and it worked. That's the kind of shit that makes this game really something special.

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By Nime

Still trying to poke around for my last few puzzles. I think I'm at 518 or something and the highest count I've read is 523.

Also following along with the people going way deep into trying to 100% the entire game and figuring out if there are any other secrets.

@beachthunder I got all of them now and I think only watched one all the way through and didn't watch 3 at all. *shrug* Guess I should do that.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm 10 hours in, 282 +4. I got super stuck on the house with the colored lights, it took me way too long to figure out what was going on there. Otherwise this game's puzzles are so perfectly paced and constructed, some really impressive design going on in this game.

I think I'm in a spot where I can move on to the ending, but I have a few spots I'm stuck on that I'd like to complete first, specifically the puzzle chain outside the village that connects up to the solar panels, and the Egyptian tomb thing or whatever it is. Absolutely clueless on what to do in those two spots.

DFL017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sessh: The jungle area was really the only time i got frustrated at the game. I got mad and just looked up a couple puzzles.

katiedey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

229 +34. dunno about those camo sound puzzles

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dfl017 said:

@sessh: The jungle area was really the only time i got frustrated at the game. I got mad and just looked up a couple puzzles.

I was too stubborn to look up solutions, but in retrospect I probably should have, since even though I know what I should be doing, I'm too tone-deaf to actually do it. Now I'm confused with the same style of puzzle in the village area. It's annoying.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@katiedey: I'd say they're the worst puzzles in the game. Those kind of puzzles are usually bad, but somehow they managed to make them even worse here :|

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finished the game with 348, +10. May go back and complete more puzzles later on but I'm all puzzled out for now.

enemymouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#214  Edited By enemymouse

Just finished at 420 +29. 10 lasers. 24 hrs.

cityfires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sitting at 490 +94 +2, with 36 hours played

Not sure how long 100% will take, but I'm gonna go the distance with this one.

ElixirBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

427, +58 around 25 hours played.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

516 +81 +2, with the 2nd steam achievement. I know where there are more +1s but at least one of them is a pain...steam says 33 hours, though actual playtime is probably about 2 hours less.

I also got to the credits & saw post-credits ending. No idea if there'll be anything more for finding everything or if the remaining stuff is just for funsies.

Avatar image for konstantin_orlov
    Konstantin_Orlov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

395 +113 +2 (10 lasers, no mountain)

Haven't finished the game yet, struggling to get all remaining "environmental thingies" before going to the end zone.

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

158 and starting to feel like a moron. It's been slow going the last few hours.

StrawHat_NPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

So I just finished the mountain and was wondering if someone could help me out if they've finished it already.

So I finished the mountain and got in the elevator and then had to start a new game. I still had puzzles and stuff I wanted to do though and the only saves I can load are either in the elevator with the doors closed or over 100 puzzles ago. Is there seriously not a way for me to go back and keep playing?

cityfires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

250 +1 about 6 hours in, I've found that something in this clicked with me in a way the majority of puzzle games don't really liking it so far.

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Caved and looked up the location of the last few triangle panels I was missing, so now I'm at 523 - the current known total for the game. Next I'll probably work on the audio recordings to finish up the lake progress.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By Sessh

After just about 24 hours I've now cleared the village and am inside the mountain. I'm at 384+36 now.

The moving puzzles are the worst and are actually making me nauseous.

LionsLinden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sitting at about 400 panels and roughly +55 (know the location of like 20 others but haven't found the right angle yet). Playtime is something like 10 hours. While I certainly really enjoy the game, I find most of the puzzles not that difficult at all except for some of the more ... strange "languages" the puzzles employ. Oh and I finished all zones or at least the main "path" of them.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woo, just realised that I reached 500 (+71).

l3reak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

284+47 puzzles in, my most satisfying moment wasn't actually solving a puzzle or even really figuring anything out. I had found one of those (windmill spoiler) papers with the honeycomb route drawn on them early on and had no idea what it was, so I just left it there. When I figured out what to do with it, it was much later and I had totally forgotten where it was. I bet it took me two hours total to find it again. I found a ton of shit while looking for it, even another windmill paper. When I finally found it again, my god, so much relief & satisfaction.

I think it actually was worth it though - I've seen others point out that getting hints when you're stuck just hamstrings you further since it prevents you from learning the lesson that you were supposed to learn. This wasn't even a case where the game was trying to teach me something, but I did end up learning the layout of the island really freakin' well. In the end it wasn't really wasted time at all.

mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By mortal_sb

204 + 16. 7 hours played. when you find out what the "+" puzzles are, you see the island in a whole different way. game is superb

solorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

493 +29... These last few panels are a bit of a pain.

Memu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am at 441 and I seriously cannot find any more puzzles. I scoured the island and know of only 2 puzzles I didn't do. One I can't figure out and the other I can see but cannot click on it. I also found 4 doors where the puzzle is on the other side. Stuck.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@memu: I'll relay you a hint from @nime: Go back to the top of the mountain and think about what the lasers accomplished, and what might have changed after getting more.

Memu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: Thanks. I have been following you in the other thread because I could see we were stuck at the same spot. Crawled all over the Mt. Picked up a couple more +'s. But I still don't see it. Never went to Mt. before having all the lasers. I am guessing ice melted?

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#234 sgtsphynx  Moderator

@memu: What is a thing that you normally don't do as you walk down a set of stairs that you do do when you walk up?

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mortal_sb: it's killing me that I don't know what the + is!! I'm at 213 and I haven't found a single one. I have found and "solved" a few panels on the ground but to no avail. My guess is that it's something to do with the black pillars. I don't know if I should look it up or keep going and hope I find it????

alphasquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pompouspizza: Don't look it up. It's a real surprise when you figure it out. There are a few spots where if you're paying any reasonable amount of attention they're pretty hard to miss.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

276+2

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pompouspizza: Just pay close attention and you'll start finding them left and right

Memu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, I got inside. So for all the game up to that point (with one minor exception) the game did a great job of telegraphing what you are supposed to do. Whenever I was stuck I would take a step back, look around a little and voila! But this seems really arbitrary. I was stuck on this for many hours with no clue how to go about it.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

518+72. I assume the other + number is obelisks. Is there a good guide around for the locations of the triangle puzzles / any hard to miss puzzles?

Dunchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, I'm done. Steam says I've had the app running for 33 hours. Final count is 485+66. I did not get the 2nd achievement, though I did find the area and fiddled around with it - I might go back eventually to see if I am up to the challenge but right now, I've had my fill of The Witness. But I did cheat to get the "reward" that comes with that achievement: listening to that lecture was a much better "ending" than the standard one - I'm going to have to go and look up Brian Moriarty's other lectures now.

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: this thread has a lot of them - the +s, triangle puzzles, and audio recordings. I'm sure there are plenty of other lists online at this point, but this is what I used.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nime:Ahh, lots of audio logs I've missed.

Also, I...I think I might go through the + list and just do them. I really don't think I have it in me to wander around and look anymore :|

@dunchad: Did you find the plus from Brian's video...?

Avatar image for atomicpineapple
    atomicpineapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

144 +16. Going through it with the wife and it is awesome. It kicks our butts pretty good in some spots, but figuring stuff out is just the best feeling. I really love the environmental stuff.

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By Nime

@beachthunder: The lake is a map of your progress, with the flowers being all the audio logs. The open ones are the ones you've found.

And yeah I was thinking about doing that too. It's either that or just stop playing - don't really have the patience to look for them myself after all of this time.

Dunchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By Dunchad

@dunchad: Did you find the plus from Brian's video...?

I got it since I wanted to stick around until the end anyway, but I didn't discover it myself - saw a mention of it when I was hunting down the pattern. Crazy stuff.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nime:What a crazy lake. A pretty interesting mechanic. I'll still probably just do the remaining stuff with a walkthrough. I'm more interested in getting 100% than having to haphazardly explore around any more. I feel like I've gone to each location a hundred times each already...

@dunchad: Great. It would be a shame to watch it without getting that +.

mrroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By mrroach

436. Got the ending once and then reloaded to finish up the village. Planning on doing absolutely everything. Only thing I have looked up is how to reach the bonus area which I probably wouldn't have noticed on my own.

Edit: Steam says 25 hours. I have been playing it in my head every moment that I'm not actually at the computer though, so factor that in?

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I finally got to start this on Saturday. I'm currently 146 +17. I think I was around 135 +3 when I realized there were environmental puzzles that began with any disc-shape and ended up backtracking. I don't know why, but the puzzle with the yellow flowers at the start isn't triggering completion with the puzzle in the background filling in the gap, so I'm probably missing something obvious that will eventually click -- hopefully.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergio: You are missing something, but it's not exactly obvious. Look around, do more puzzles, then come back later - you might have some more inspiration then.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.