Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Wolf Among Us

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Oct 11, 2013

A prequel to the Fables comic book series, The Wolf Among Us tells a tale of the reformed Big Bad Wolf of childhood folklore (who is the sheriff of a secluded community of fables in 20th century New York City) as he investigates a series of grisly murders.

Has the handling of The Wolf Among Us changed your trust in getting a Telltale Season Pass?

Jabbawocky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 16

Poll Has the handling of The Wolf Among Us changed your trust in getting a Telltale Season Pass? (226 votes)

Yes - I don't think I'll be getting one before the season is over next time 24%
    No - I don't think there is anything to worry about 41%
    Yes - I'm actually impressed and sold on future season passes 8%
    No - They sucked before and they suck now 12%
    Other - Specificy in forum please 15%

So now that we have the complete package at out disposal and our case with Bigby has finalised, has your opinion changed on getting Season Passes from Telltale changed?

Unfortunately for me it has changed in a negative light.

My past experiences with Telltale have been positive for the most part with the Sam and Max games being entertaining, Back to the Future being a lot of fun and Jurassic Park probably being the only downside to their per-consequence driven games.

However, I'll adimit that I bought all these games after the entire seasons were out and were on offer. For whatever reason when I bought The Walking Dead Season 1 on 360 I didn't get the season pass (there may have not been one, I can't quite remember) but changed consoles before the season was over and ended up getting the season pass on sale well after episode 5 had been released.

Season 1 impressed me so much that when I saw The Wolf Among Us being advertised I was convinced to get the pass and play each episode when it came out.

The first problem for me arose much like for everyone else when there was a huge delay between the first and second episode. For me I wasn't so much annoyed with the delay but with the lack of communication... the lack of communication and the announcement of two new forthcoming Telltale adventure games.

Now I understand that Telltale had the right to remain quiet, after all the season pass only entitled me to the episodes nothing else, but a little message of "hey, guys we're doing the best we can to get the episode done" would have gone a long way in my good will books.

I'm not going to complain too much about having to wait the extra week for the content sometimes due to being in Europe because I wasn't too bothered providing I knew the content was coming.

However as noted by a few others on this board, there was definitely a quality drop off after the first episode. Where we had begun to unravel a noir mystery at the beginning, we ended up playing a rather corny conspiracy with a villain who didn't really start to have much impact on the tale until the last couple of episodes.

Amid the rumors of a re-write happening (with two different theories given as to why this possibly happened) I do feel like episodes 2 onwards were hastily written (probably using some ideas they already had, which is why some areas flowed better than others). I don't blame Telltale in some regards for rushing these episodes out but in the end I personally felt short changed, especially when the episodes were reduced in length.

I'd also like to point out how often I saw the season pass on sale, with Steam selling it at half price just this week to advertise the season finale. Even in the PSN Xmas sale I saw it for the for the price of three episodes. I personally feel I was punished for being an earlier adopter especially when you have the long wait between episodes.

Now incase someone wants to jump down my throat after I've posted this I just wanted to say that I realise that I don't deserve anything special beyond what I bought. I don't deserve an explanation because I want one, the quality of the story is defiantly my own opinion and not fact and I'm defiantly not saying I should have gotten some money back or condemn the sale of cheaper season passes just because I didn't reap the benefits of either.

This is purely just my own personal experience of how I viewed being a Season Pass holder for the Wolf Among Us and I just wanted to see if my views matched up with others or were completely the opposite.

• 
    towolie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

is there another way of seeing the results without voting ( i votted other this time >.< )

i didn't play it and because of that can't judge what your asking.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

Nah, I enjoyed the whole season even if it wasn't as consistent as TWD and still ended up getting a solid 8-10 hours of fun for my money.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. The quality was always all over the place, the first season of Walking Dead and the second and third of Sam&Max being the most even in terms of quality, but still containing not-so-great episodes too. Anyone remember Strong Bad? That sure wasn't fun except for about two hours out of all the episodes. Monkey Island was alright throughout but darn that just doesn't cut the mustard in this world any more. This general way of going all over the place is why I haven't really bought any of their season passes until the season is over.

PS. That doesn't mean I'd marathon the games since I practice some level of restraint, making my experience a bit closer to that of the original release schedule, albeit less erratic and prolonged.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheHumanDove

They've always had the golden rule of never saying anything until a week or a few days before release. They also never justify their delays, ever. Which is stupid. Episodic content means they should have a dialogue with their consumer more often, because timing is obviously more important. It's pretty frustrating, and I voted they sucked before and sucked now.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think that, if anything, the huge delay between Episode One and Episode Two served as a wake up call to Telltale that they can't bullshit their way to each release. They need to have a release window and a general plan in motion now. They can't just "wing it" like they did in the past (thinking specifically of The Walking Dead). If Telltale learned their lesson then I think season passes should be a safer investment from here on. While the delay between episode one and two was embarrassing, Telltale has seemingly got their shit together and the wait time between 2-3, 3-4, and 4-5 was pretty good.

While Episode One/Faith was definitely the longest episode in the series (somewhere around 3-4 hours I think), I don't think it was the best. I think I actually prefer the 2-3 hour episodes better. Every month and a half I had a new episode of The Wolf Among Us, and I think that without canning episodes (doing a bulk of them at a time and releasing them as staggered episodes - like comic books or a tv show) that's, optimistically, the best kind of release schedule we can look forward to.

As far as the rumours about The Wolf Among Us needing a rewrite, I wouldn't know. I don't pay attention enough to Telltale or their community to actually look for that stuff.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm done with The Walking Dead and have negative interest in Borderlands but I absolutely loved Wolf and will buy any future Fables based Telltale games and the Game of Thrones one.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Nah, I enjoyed the whole season even if it wasn't as consistent as TWD and still ended up getting a solid 8-10 hours of fun for my money.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yep, forget buying them up-front again. The fact they already had our money and thus weren't as incentivized to follow through was pretty clear.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Zeik

If anything it convinced me I'm better off buying the season pass up front. I didn't buy one this time, thinking $5 every few months isn't that big of a deal, but it just caused me to put off buying the new episodes. I still haven't bought them all, though I have no complaints about the quality, so that certainly wouldn't change anything.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The amount of time that it took for each episode to come out is not what troubled me; it is the fact that the game has been severely discounted multiple times along the way that irked me.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

hmmmm, I picked it up on sale when it was 4 episodes and the last episode was a week later. Maybe if I had gone Day one, then yeah I'd feel really bad about this.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I will approach any future Telltale games the same way I approached all previous ones: By buying the thing on sale when the entire season is finished.

Gnorbooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm definitely in the negatively effected camp. I jumped on the hype train with episode one and loved it. Then that gnarly four month wait took hold and the season pass was already getting discounted by the time the second episode dropped. I just remember thinking to myself on that basis alone I'll wait next time. Also similar to others when twists started dropping in episode five I was having a rough time of recalling everything correctly cause it'd been damn near nine months since I'd played the first one.

Yeah. I'm going to wait for all the content to be out before I pull the trigger on anymore Telltale games. Save some scrilla too.

roboculus92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By roboculus92

I still don't think anyone has done a good job with handling the release of episodic gaming. To be fair, Telltale is more consistent with their release schedule than anyone else but even they have issues with not following their schedule or not being clear about when upcoming episodes will release (it's understandable that issues can arise that cause games to be delayed but the nature of episodic gaming makes these kinds of games much more susceptible to this issue). I think 1-2 month gaps (if not longer in some cases) is simply too long. The best way would be to wait until the game is done or nearly done and then release a new episode every 2-3 weeks. This would help maintain anticipation for upcoming episodes much better. Also, people who buy the season pass won't feel like they got ripped off since you don't have to worry about the game constantly going on sale between episodes if all the episodes get released in a short 2-3 month period.

Sure, they could release the whole thing at once but there's a benefit to spreading it out. Why doesn't HBO air 2 episodes of Game of Thrones each week. It's simple; why have just 5 weeks of people tuning in and talking about your show when you could have 10? With telltale games, they could have 2-3 months of people constantly talking about their games instead of just having most of the talk in the first couple of weeks. And here's the thing, if you still think that 2-3 weeks is too long of a wait then you can just wait until all the episodes are released. People who just wait until all episodes are released will continue to do what they have been doing with no harm done. More importantly, people who choose to play the episodes as they get released don't get screwed over as much with long/inconsistent wait periods between releases and so they end up having a more enjoyable experience with the game. It's win-win for everyone.That said, if they wanted to just go the Netflix route of releasing all episodes at once, that would be cool as well. But these are the only 2 options I would be happy with. Either follow a schedule that more closely follows how many TV shows release their episodes or just go the Netflix route. The current method however is not good and should be changed.

edit: Forgot to talk about the season pass. It has and still is a terrible idea since you end up saving more money if you wait to buy the game on sale.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

While I agree The Wolf Among Us did not live up to the expectations the first episode set, it still ended strong and I had a good time with it. But since I play on PC I have to buy the full season all at once because that is the only option.

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's true that there was some authorial meddling involved in the delay(s) and ultimately the entire plot of the game, then I don't blame Telltale, and would just reiterate my desire to see them do a new IP. In space.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ive never been all that into episodic stuff anyways. I played the walking dead all at once, well over like 2 or 3 days. I would not want to wait weeks or months between episodes. Personally i'd rather just wait till its all out and consume the episodes at my own pace.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

I got it on 360, and while they ended up handling it decently (second episode didn't work so they sent out codes, etc.) they launched the game fundamentally broken on that platform. It hitched up and lagged so much that the action scenes were unplayable and the loading times between scenes was unbearable. Also, it's been discussed before, but that story really didn't work well with such dramatically long breaks between episodes. I'm not going to remember callbacks to the first episode when I played that back in November.

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't effect me negatively at all. The only annoyance was the long wait from episode one to episode two. A few of the episodes bummed me out a bit with how short they were but overall I really enjoyed TWAU.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

It hasn't been that much of an issue for me. Telltale have always had times when they've taken longer than a month to release an episode. Also, this time they have been releasing both Wolf Among Us and Walking Dead 2 episodes in tandem. I will say though, that a month between episodes is probably still too long - it can definitely lead to forgetting choices/characters/events from previous episodes.

They are still by far the most proficient and reliable developer in terms of releasing episodic games: between 2005 and now, Telltale has released 83 episodes; Valve has released two.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By probablytuna

I expected there to be a waiting period of at least two months between each episode so I was never bothered by it.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

I like the waiting period, I don't think I'd actually enjoy them as much if I played them all at once. I don't get the hate for the waiting period personally.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Nope, I've enjoyed the episodes, they've delivered all five of them. I didn't even really care that much about the extended wait between episodes 1 & 2. If I buy a telltale game I'm going to want all five episodes regardless, so if a game of theirs interests me enough to purchase one episode I'll be just buying the whole thing up front (or playing the first episode and then buying the pass if I enjoyed the first episode).

The only thing I'd do differently is not buy on 360. After playing through The Walking Dead on PC with a controller I thought it'd be nice to play the game on my TV on a console, but had no idea it would run so shoddily.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where is the "I've always waited until all the episodes are out to play any of them" poll choice, because that is what I do.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just bought the game recently, so I don't have a whole lot of say in this discussion, but I feel like I would have been sorely disappointed if I bought this right when it came out. The first episode was CLEARLY the most well developed episode of the bunch, and I would have been so disappointed getting episode 2 after four long months and getting that. It's not that it was bad at all, but episodes 2-5 pretty much dropped the stylized visuals from the first episode, where color played a huge role in setting a scene. There were a few scenes that retained it, but for the most part it was absent. I also think the ending scene of episode 5 would have been extremely confusing for people who played the first episode half a year ago.

So yeah, I'm really glad I waited to buy it all in one go, so while I was slightly disappointed, I was able to play the entire story and not have to suffer any long waits, which really helped make it better.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

This is the inherent risk of buying anything unfinished. I liked it well enough, so I'm happy with my purchase. If you're not, wait until it's on sale. Waiting on games to drop in price is never goign to hurt anybody. Sure, you might be out of the loop conversation-wise for a few months, but honestly, that's a small price to pay for... well, a small price. I'll continue supporting Telltale because I think they make some of the best adventure games on the market and because I genuinely liked Wolf Among Us through and through, but if you're not satisfied with the quality of something you purchased before knowing fully what you were getting into, then by all means, wait in the future.

reckless_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I enjoy the episodes but consuming them with months in between is a terrible form of entertainment.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are still by far the most proficient and reliable developer in terms of releasing episodic games: between 2005 and now, Telltale has released 83 episodes; Valve has released two.

Nice.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't buy The Wolf Among Us until shortly before the last episode, when it was heavily discounted. I knew I'd have to wait long periods for each installment, and I didn't want to do that.

@towolie said:

is there another way of seeing the results without voting ( i votted other this time >.< )

i didn't play it and because of that can't judge what your asking.

Log out.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 Nodima  Online

For whatever reason I didn't get the Season Pass for Walking Dead Season Two, I think I was just tight on money at the time, and I definitely regret not saving five dollars on it now that my cash is fairly liquid again. Wolf Among Us was a disappointment but it was still an interesting experiment, particularly when it came to adding more dynamic action moments to these kinds of games. I'm glad to have experienced it and have saved a little money in the process.

meaninoflife42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played the last episode yet but I did get the season pass and I haven't regretted it yet.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

Well I generally wait to buy Telltale game till the season is over or nearly over , so no.

But if I bought day one, I would have been moderately upset by the gap between ep 1 and 2 . So I get the feeling.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By hatking

I wasn't blown away as much as other people were by The Walking Dead stuff. I liked it, but it didn't do much in way of earning my forgiveness for Jurassic Park. So, I'm always cautious about their work. I haven't touched Wolf Among Us, but I am interested. I still haven't even played 400 Days or Season 2.

Why'd you have to fuck up the dinosaur game?

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe it's because i've had limited time an energy over the course of the season but i never found the lack of regular release a huge problem. Over all I really liked the game even if it was a little low key (that opening credit sequence has more fucking creativity and art in it than the last 10 releases from EA combined).

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't finished the last episode(and really did not read anything in this thread in-depth. But I think I can say this and be relevant. Telltale did an honest season. It wasn't meant to be the Walking dead. And most of all, I liked it. Got a little slow in some places, but no matter. I hope they would learn some things and do a season 2.

I will invest in it.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I didn't really enjoy episode 1 and I've kind of gone off the Telltale style of game. So that's why I probably wouldn't get another one.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'm not bothered by the idea of a season pass. That being said, it's not for me. Since after the Sam & Max episodes I have waited until after the entire season is released to buy the game. I enjoy it at my pace and the "season pass" concept doesn't affect me.

That being said i have in the past been annoyed by the inconsistent intervals between releases and that is mostly what has informed my decision to always wait until after something is complete to purchase.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've yet to play 4 and 5 but I have seen nothing wrong, narrative wise, in 1-3. That's a legitimate concern and we're entitled to individually view it as such.

What I don't see as a legitimate concern is the timing. If they had stretched it out over the course of several years, then maybe. However, I honestly don't care. I have too many other games to play, too many books to read, too many movies to watch. If I was some insane person who only played Tell Tale games, I may be more concerned with such a slow output. Being an average consumer of media, this is in no way the case. Unless you feel intentionally slighted, I don't see the issue here. I'd rather wait than get a small or sub-par episode.

I've brought it up before, I'll bring it up again. Pre GTA4, I would consume all marketing material, count down days until the next trailer. Post GTA4, I've become immune to that particular brand of impatience. What the hell do I care? Unless it's straight up cancelled, it'll come eventually.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they are doing fine on delivering what they promise. I do think, like Alex said, that The Wolf Among Us wasn't the best type of story to deliver over such a long time and I think they may have to rethink their approach on gameplay at some point. It was (is) fine with Walking Dead and TWAU because those the deliver good to very good storylines.

The moment they make a game with a weak story they are in trouble because the gameplay sure as hell can't carry one of their seasons.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the game was fantastic. I pressed other because I don't have a problem buying the game in season form again. However, I think I'm going to try my hardest to wait till the entire season is done before starting. My biggest problems with the game was the pacing, and I feel that was a result of the episode breaks. I was so driven to find the killer in the first episode. But by episode five... I'd kind forgot what I was even doing. Early on I enjoyed putting all the pieces of the mystery together. By episode five, I forgot when clues I even had.

Also, Chapter one had a good length, but the others felt way short. I think that is partly because some areas are optional. This isn't bad per say... as I can just go back and replay the parts I missed. But when the draw is having "Your Bigby" and "your version of events" Whenever I replay sections "My Bigby" becomes "the all knowing Bigby", so I wanted to wait till I was totally done with the game before I visited areas I missed or made other choices.

A lot of these problems could be solved I think if I just waited till the whole game was out.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually don't get their stuff until it's all out. Though thats probably more because I don't have a lot of friends playing as it releases (so no spoiler worries) and they tend to launch seasons in fall, when so many other games are vying for my budget.

Avatar image for a_faceless_name
    A_Faceless_Name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, but mostly because those games go on sale to a pretty deep discount before the season is even over.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By development

I'd probably never buy a season pass anyway, but yeah everything after the first episode of TWAU makes me even more tentative. Of course... I have only played episode 1, so I'm just going based on the critical reception.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

This poll doesn't seem very even handed.

Where's the "No I Never Buy Season Passes For Episodic Games Because No Series In The History of The Genre Has Released On Time Because Games So I Didn't This Time Either And Probably Never Will Unless The World Changes"?

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Eh, I loved TWAU. So yeah, make another game that good & I'll buy it again. Though in all honesty I think the story would have benefited from being one long game rather than 5 episodes. But the whole package left me fully satisfied and craving more.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.