Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Wolf Among Us

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Oct 11, 2013

A prequel to the Fables comic book series, The Wolf Among Us tells a tale of the reformed Big Bad Wolf of childhood folklore (who is the sheriff of a secluded community of fables in 20th century New York City) as he investigates a series of grisly murders.

Would you suggest reading the comics before or after?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I haven't had any experience with the game or the comics but I love Telltale and after watching the Quick Look the game and comic seems like something I'd be interested in. If you've played both the game and read the comics, which do you suggest doing first, does it make much of a difference?

drbobbint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've read up to the first 8 or 9 trade paperbacks and haven't come across anything that would spoil the first episode. I can't say anything about future episodes though. I'm not sure how close to the comic timeline the game is. Or if Telltale is just using the setting to tell a story.Either way both are very good. And Barnes and noble is doing buy 2 get 1 on DC comics, Vertigo imprint (the publishers of Fables) included. Free shipping when you hit 25 bucks. Runs through december I believe.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

@nekusakuraba: There is something that happens in the first episode of the game that would be ruined if you read the comics but really I don't think it will matter all that much in the end. The comics are really good so I suggest you just get into them as soon as possible. The comic is also supposed to end in about 12 more issues (so basically a year) and if you start reading now you'll have a lot of time to catch up to be there when it ends.

@drbobbint: The game is set in the 80's while the comic is set modern day.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Maybe its too late for it, but I started reading the comics shortly after episode 1, and I have to advice people NOT to do it.

The comics are perfectly fine, but the presence/absence of certain characters could really spoil some of the biggest twists in episode 2 and after that. I read only the first couple numbers, and it was enough to know Snow was alive, and something was going to happen to Crane. My advice is to play the game (which is a prequel, anyways) and then start with the comics.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

After completing episode 2 of Wolf Among Us, and having read up to volume 9 of Fables, I'd say it depends on what you're wanting from the game.

The Wolf Among Us is strong enough to stand on it's own, but on several occasions it mentions things in passing that you wouldn't know about without knowledge of the comics. It's very fanservice-y in that regard, but in a good way. I also believe that going into the game already having attachments to many of characters makes some of the smaller dialogue sequences much more meaningful. That being said, you're going to the resolutions to many of the characters if you read the comics.

But I believe Telltale is going to use that knowledge to their advantage and play on our expectations. So ultimately I'd recommend picking up the first few issues, at least. It's quite good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.