Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Wonderful 101

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Aug 23, 2013

An action game from Hideki Kamiya, originally designed exclusively for the Nintendo Wii U. Control one hundred superheroes in real-time as they save the Earth from a massive alien invasion.

W101 getting a Switch, PC, and PS4 port.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Casepb

Surprised no one made a topic about this yet. Today Platinum announced that they will be self publishing this game and they started a Kickstarter page. Within less than 20 mins the Switch port goal was reached. Think it took the PC version slightly less than an hour to be reached. And PS4 took I think around 3 hours or so? Either way it's clear this game has fans. It was one of my favorite games on the Wii U so I'm very happy to see it given new life!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/platinumgames/the-wonderful-101-remastered

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

At least XB1 players got Scalebound.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Out April apparently which surprises me

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was this what that 4 was about? Guess that makes sense. (it morphed into a 1 at some point)

I liked Wonderful 101 on Wii U, not sure how well it will work without the touchscreen though.

I was selfishly hoping they were making Darksiders 4 or something unexpected but this is a more reasonable thing considering they already have a bunch of big games in the works.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak: Supposedly there are 4 announcements coming, and this is just the first.

I might get this? I tried the original when I first got my WiiU but feel off it hard thanks to hating the touchscreen and dual screen stuff, curious how they're going to adjust that stuff.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

They must have been basically done, right? It's coming in April and their initial goal was basically $50,000. There's no way it only costs $50k to port a WiiU game to the Switch and "Remaster" it. Heck, they don't even discuss how they are remastering it vs. just porting it. To me, this screams "pre-order" instead of an actual kickstarter. Good for them for showing that people are willing to buy this. A $1M is no joke.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ginormous76: I imagine the game will be higher resolution and run better at least on PS4 & PC, not sure about Switch. One of the stretch goals includes extra content that seems pretty different from the base game, which might be quite expensive to produce. (I have no idea)

@epidehl: Ah okay, if I had to guess the rest of the anouncements will probably be in a similar vein. Maybe MadWorld, Anarchy Reigns and Infinite Space will get ports.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excellent, very happy about this as i still haven't picked up a Switch.
    Two things, is there any chance, any chance at all that the Bayonetta sequels will follow? And making a kickstarter for it is a little weird now that Tencent is involved, they're apparently still independent but... you know... Tencent has a lot of money... like all the money...

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yeah... this is a weird one. I really like all of Platinum's stuff, including Wonderful 101. On one hand, you'd like to think a company partnered with Tencent wouldn't have to bother consumers to help fund their game. But on the other hand, I probably wouldn't dump a bunch of money on a Wonderful 101 port, even if I had Tencent money. I don't imagine it's going to be a huge seller.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Casepb

@brian_: I read something about this all started before the Tencent thing, so no Tencent money is going towards this project. The Switch version was always going to happen though, but PC and PS4 wasn't. The kickstarter was more to judge for how much demand there was for the game on other platforms, and apparently it's a shit ton.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By doctordonkey

IMO this game is peak Platinum. So creative and unique, ton of charm and character amongst the cast. The loss of the touchscreen means nothing, the sections that used the second screen were completely pointless and fine without one, and the touch controls themselves are objectively inferior in terms of speed and accuracy.

So glad to not only see a ton of interest in this game, but also that so many more people will be able to experience it; especially considering how hard it bombed on the Wii U (like everything did sales wise on that thing). There's really nothing like it, the best way I can describe it is if Pikmin, and Bayonetta had a love child.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@casepb: If the game is coming out in a couple of months, then it absolutely would have been in the works before the Tencent deal. But there's nothing stopping Tencent from giving them funding anyways.

I also don't know that this thing is so much for the purpose of gauging demand if it's going to be out in a couple months either. And I doubt there's actually a huge amount of demand from the general public for this thing. I think it's raised the money that they have off a much smaller, but more fanatical, fanbase who are willing to pay more than what the MSRP would be and that's why I think this thing really exists.

I just think it's kind of shitty for a company to put that on the consumer. But again, I also don't think this game happens with traditional funding means either. So... I don't really what the "right" answer here is for Platinum.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brian_: It will be out in April only for the Switch. I don't expect the PC and PS4 version until the end of the year I'd guess.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By brian_

@casepb: I would hope that those games would be out later. It'd be even weirder if they had those versions ready to go, on April, and just locked them behind stretch goals.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.