Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Apr 24, 2014

A sequel to the original Theatrhythm with more songs, characters, and gameplay modes, including two-player versus.

What is your preferred control style?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

Poll What is your preferred control style? (63 votes)

Stylus Style 46%
    Button Style 32%
    Hybrid Style 2%
    One-Handed Style 0%
    Show-Me-The-Results Style 21%

Man, was I amazed after booting up Curtain Call for the first time and running through the tutorial that the game now has multiple control styles! Maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention, but none of the preview/review coverage I've seen on the game made any mention of that fact. Of course I went with Button Style immediately, because I figured it would be much easier to be precise with timings that way.

Unfortunately, I've run into a problem in FMS'es. Holding the Circle Pad up/down to follow the path on Hold Triggers that end in a Slide Trigger will cause the Slide Trigger to read as an extremely early, Bad activation if the trigger arrow is pointing in any direction other than Up or Down. I've been having some success holding the Circle Pad in the opposite direction for diagonals, Up-Left if it's pointing Down-Right etc, but it can extremely difficult to make the adjustment fast-enough when playing songs on Ultimate difficulty. I haven't found any reliable way to do Slide Triggers that are pointing Right or Left without releasing the Circle Pad back to neutral a half-beat before the trigger occurs. That's also extremely difficult to do when playing on Ultimate.

Now I'm thinking that, at least for those stages, I might need to switch to Hybrid Style if I want to maximize my scores. I really don't want to use the stylus though. Anyways, how are you guys playing, and how are those controls treating you?

• 
    bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Buttons all the way. I also really like the one handed style so I can feel the rhythm while fueling my cigarette habit.

laika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Button for sure. Haven't tried one-handed yet, though.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I think the flicks are really inconsistent on Button Mode, particularly on the FMS stages where you have to hit it at the end of a Slide--I've heard some tricks on how to circumvent this difficulty, but it never works every time for me. This, plus the fact that I put a lot of time into the original, means that I play exclusively in Stylus Mode. While it's slightly annoying holding my monstrous XL in one hand (yes, I'm a weakling), I find much more consistency when playing this way.

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta use that Stylus!

Man I love this game. I just wish I wasn't so addicted to Destiny right now so I could play it more.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buttons for battles, stylus for the other two. Field songs are way too hard with the circle pad, there's zero precision with that thing. Also, the buttons seem to lag for me on the movie songs.

chemystery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By chemystery

I only play with the stylus. It is the only 3DS game that I think the stylus real shines in, at least for my collection of games. I'm surprised by the amount of button loved here.

ike7779

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Button style so far. This is my first exposure to any Theatrhythm, and I'm only like 4 hours in, but I'm hoping I can make button mode work for me even on the field events. Going to try 1-handed next.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stylus style or nothing. I need to tap those buttons real fast like with that stylus.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Stylin' the stylus!

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I tried out the buttons for one song and that was it for me. I dunno why you'd use anything other than the stylus.

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chemystery:

I didn't think there'd be this many stylus users! I tried it with some field songs and my cursor was all over the place. You people are crazy!

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm also surprised. I played the first game for 30 hours and I've only been using buttons in Curtain Call but I also have trouble mastering the FMS. I noticed you can do it if you flick the circle pad really quickly at the end of those FMS green hold notes.

chemystery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@basketsnake: @bigmess: Maybe the majority of stylus users are players from the original game. I'm pretty sure there was no button mode for that one.

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chemystery:

That's what I figured. I didnt play the original and I dont think I could ever go back to that.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's hard to remember now, but I think one of the reasons I didn't like stylus for the original was because sometimes you would end with an upward slide at the end of an upward hold and I would just run out of screen space to make the slide motion? But that doesn't seem to be the case any more. Maybe I should go back to stylus. Would make it harder to play in bed though.

jhajha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jhajha

Button Style get my vote because I haven't tried the others styles.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the flicks are really inconsistent on Button Mode, particularly on the FMS stages where you have to hit it at the end of a Slide--I've heard some tricks on how to circumvent this difficulty, but it never works every time for me. This, plus the fact that I put a lot of time into the original, means that I play exclusively in Stylus Mode. While it's slightly annoying holding my monstrous XL in one hand (yes, I'm a weakling), I find much more consistency when playing this way.

Finally figured it out, managed to almost get a Perfect Chain on Melodies of Life on Ultimate on my third try. The first two were quick restarts as I was testing this new technique, and the third time the only Bad I had was a dumb mistake totally unrelated to a Hold>Slide trigger. Basically on every Hold trigger I push the circle pad all the way left, then just wiggle it diagonally up-left or down-left far enough to get the cursor to follow the slope of the line. This makes it so that I never accidentally trigger the Slide at the end too early. I'll have to build up the muscle memory to make the move feel completely natural, but it seems very consistent. It wouldn't work if a FMS Hold>Slide ended with Left or diagonally Up/Down-Left, but now that i think about it I can't actually remember seeing any of those.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.