Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Thief

Franchise »

The Thief franchise consists of a series of first-person "sneaker" games, where you play as a master thief named Garrett, in a large sprawling steampunk-medieval metropolis simply known as "the City."

Great time to pick up Thief franchise on Steam!

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai

"Stealth is Shit?!"

Great time to go pick up Thief on Steam.

Just wanted to chime in and remind everyone that the Thief Franchise went on sale for 75% off. Go grab them and get to enjoy the best Stealth games ever made. Yes, the third one wasn't as good as the second one, which IMO was the peak of the series, but it's still a damn good stealth game.

Have a great Weekend you guys.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By vaiz

FUCK YEAH

procrasturbate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By procrasturbate

Nice heads up! Still have the original Thief 1 and 2 on cdrom.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By jacdg

Does it still hold up?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mordukai

@JacDG said:

Does it still hold up?

Holds up to what? You have to remember those games were made over 14 years ago. Naturally the first thing you'll notice are the graphics but with some mods and the awesome 1.19 update to Thief 2, makes the pill a little easier to swallow.

As far as gameplay wise then you'll be happy to know that not only the Thief games hold up they actually surpass many of today's games. Just know before you go in that those games do not cater to the players ego and will punish you. The Thief games require a lot of patience and self control, and most of all observation.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#6  Edited By BeachThunder
    jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#7  Edited By jaqen_hghar

Hell yes! If you haven't stalked the shadows as Garrett yet you really need to get this pack! Thief 2 is one of those games I always want to play, even though I have beaten it several times.

von_wemberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By von_wemberg

The gameplay is still solid, the story fantastic. Some really thought out missions (Return to the Cathedral, Song of the Caverns or The Cradle anyone?). And the atmosphere is something really special. The first two look outdated though, too bad that they didn't get any graphical mods like System Shock 2 did.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mordukai

@von_wemberg said:

The gameplay is still solid, the story fantastic. Some really thought out missions (Return to the Cathedral, Song of the Caverns or The Cradle anyone?). And the atmosphere is something really special. The first two look outdated though, too bad that they didn't get any graphical mods like System Shock 2 did.

Not to mention the ending to The Cradle was one big mind fuck.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By beepmachine
    thefaulconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By thefaulconer

So I got the third one and I'm having a grand ol' time with it.

The thing that has me worried though is I happen to find the Blackjack or whatever the sleepytime stick is called dreadfullly boring and I've just been murdering people with my dagger instead.

Is this going to screw me at some point? Nothing really seems all that bad besides the trail of bodies I leave behind me but I can't help but feel like this is gonna bite me in the ass later.

Fun games.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mordukai
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mordukai

@thefaulconer said:

So I got the third one and I'm having a grand ol' time with it.

The thing that has me worried though is I happen to find the Blackjack or whatever the sleepytime stick is called dreadfullly boring and I've just been murdering people with my dagger instead.

Is this going to screw me at some point? Nothing really seems all that bad besides the trail of bodies I leave behind me but I can't help but feel like this is gonna bite me in the ass later.

Fun games.

As far as story wise then no. It does factor in during the missions as killing guards creates more noise and leaves blood stains. You can wash those blood stains off with a water arrow then again you'd be wasting resources.

In Thief 2, however, there are missions where killing is not an option and if played on expert then there is a No Kills prerequisite on all the missions.If you do the game insta-fails you.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By colourful_hippie

So is Thief: Deadly Shadows the third game? And do I have to play the first one to get into the second cuz I kinda want to just start there?

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By mylifeforAiur

@Colourful_Hippie said:

So is Thief: Deadly Shadows the third game? And do I have to play the first one to get into the second cuz I kinda want to just start there?

Yes and no. But by skipping the first game you'll be depriving yourself of worthwhile experience. Having said that, The Metal Age is certainly the pinnacle of the trilogy. Man, I miss Garrett.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By oraknabo

You guys just missed all 3 on GOG for even less, without DRM. I really don't get why Steam sales are such a huge thing here, but pretty much everyone ignores GOG sales. Don't get me wrong, I like Steam a lot, but if I have a choice between buying a game there or on GOG, I go with GOG. You don't have to be online to launch games and can install them on as many computers as you want.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Maajin

I would, but stealth is shit.

Not really.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mordukai

@mylifeforAiur said:

@Colourful_Hippie said:

Yes and no. But by skipping the first game you'll be depriving yourself of worthwhile experience. Having said that, The Metal Age is certainly the pinnacle of the trilogy. Man, I miss Garrett.

Thief 1-3 are sequels to one another but they all have self contained stories. You are going to miss on some background info pertaining more to Garrett's relationship with the different factions, especially with the Keepers.

Now the reason Deadly Shadows never got the number 3 on it was because it was the first game to be on consoles so the developers didn't want players getting confused.

A lot of Thief purists actively hate the third game. I don't. It's not as good as The Metal Age but it did a lot of things right and the game also looked great. On the other hand it got a lot of things wrong like the abomination that is the 3rd person view.

I would actually recommend you start with one and work your way up. The main reason is that I noticed most people that start with 3 could not play the other games in the series mostly because they will play the entire game from the 3rd person perspective.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#19  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I fully endorse people buying these games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.