Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Thief

Franchise »

The Thief franchise consists of a series of first-person "sneaker" games, where you play as a master thief named Garrett, in a large sprawling steampunk-medieval metropolis simply known as "the City."

Thief: The Dark Project and the Evolution of the Stealth Genre

Viqor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Viqor
    It is absolutely fascinating coming to Thief just after experiencing some of the newest innovations that have emerged in the stealth genre in this past year. I am of course referring to Mark of the Ninja and its attempts, and frankly brilliant successes, to provide the player with every last bit of information needed to stay silent and out of sight in every single moment in that game. I find it so interesting because Thief, one of the architects of the modern stealth genre, takes nearly the opposite approach. Instead of giving tons of information: radar, vision cones, seeing through walls, or anything else that modern stealth games have afforded players, Thief gives you one gauge, a meter that tells you how hard you are to spot, and no other info. By conventional wisdom, wisdom that gave us something as fun and frustration-free as Mark of the Ninja, it should be a total frustrating mess. But it isn't. You quickly learn to rely on your senses to figure out enemy placement: guards make a lot of noise and are easy to spot from a distance. Likewise you can stay reasonably hidden most of the time and the enemies naturally suffer from poor hearing and eyesight. The game also lacks any sort of scoring system, either in-game or post level, at least as far as I've gotten, which in my experience keeps me from feeling like I have to be perfect all the time. Whether it's Metal Gear Solid, Mark of the Ninja, or Hitman: Absolution, getting seen instinctively makes me want to reset and try again, but that's not entirely true in Thief. Without the game judging me, and with it being fairly easy to shake off a guard, I find myself trying to escape instead of simply reloading. What I'm trying to get at is that with the release of Mark of the Ninja, stealth gaming seems to be on the precipice of a major step forward, but looking back, all the way back, I can see that great experiences can still be had in a completely different way. Compared to what stealth games have become, Mark of the Ninja represents a significant step forward in reducing frustration and empowering the player, but compared to Thief, the game is so radically removed that I would call it a divergence: an equally valid take on the genre, but one that should not necessarily replace the other.
    Viqor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Viqor
    It is absolutely fascinating coming to Thief just after experiencing some of the newest innovations that have emerged in the stealth genre in this past year. I am of course referring to Mark of the Ninja and its attempts, and frankly brilliant successes, to provide the player with every last bit of information needed to stay silent and out of sight in every single moment in that game. I find it so interesting because Thief, one of the architects of the modern stealth genre, takes nearly the opposite approach. Instead of giving tons of information: radar, vision cones, seeing through walls, or anything else that modern stealth games have afforded players, Thief gives you one gauge, a meter that tells you how hard you are to spot, and no other info. By conventional wisdom, wisdom that gave us something as fun and frustration-free as Mark of the Ninja, it should be a total frustrating mess. But it isn't. You quickly learn to rely on your senses to figure out enemy placement: guards make a lot of noise and are easy to spot from a distance. Likewise you can stay reasonably hidden most of the time and the enemies naturally suffer from poor hearing and eyesight. The game also lacks any sort of scoring system, either in-game or post level, at least as far as I've gotten, which in my experience keeps me from feeling like I have to be perfect all the time. Whether it's Metal Gear Solid, Mark of the Ninja, or Hitman: Absolution, getting seen instinctively makes me want to reset and try again, but that's not entirely true in Thief. Without the game judging me, and with it being fairly easy to shake off a guard, I find myself trying to escape instead of simply reloading. What I'm trying to get at is that with the release of Mark of the Ninja, stealth gaming seems to be on the precipice of a major step forward, but looking back, all the way back, I can see that great experiences can still be had in a completely different way. Compared to what stealth games have become, Mark of the Ninja represents a significant step forward in reducing frustration and empowering the player, but compared to Thief, the game is so radically removed that I would call it a divergence: an equally valid take on the genre, but one that should not necessarily replace the other.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.