Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Thief

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 25, 2014

Developed by Eidos Montréal and coming more than 10 years after the previous Thief game, this is the fourth installment in and a reboot of the Thief franchise.

Any new word about Thief 4?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai

The developer have been very hush hush about this game ever since they unveiled that they are working on it. Now I just read on wikipedia that the game was going to make an appearance at GDC so I am wondering if any of the GB crue are planning to give it any coverage. (thanks for the correction august).

Is this game even still on or has it been quietly dismissed? 

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By august

I imagine the future of the game rides almost entirely on the success or failure of Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Also, GDC doesn't happen for another week.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mordukai
    @august: Thanks for the info man. I had no idea about GDC or any of the other conventions. I usually try to stay away from them. Or that I am confusing it with DICE, or that I am just waaaaaaay past my bad time. 
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By august
    @Mordukai: Well, I had no idea they were supposed to be revealing anything at GDC until your post, and didn't know when GDC was until I googled it. So now I'm pretty excited. Except I can't think of any way to "modernize" the games I'll really find acceptable. Third person is already breaking the best thing about the games, which is total immersion.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mordukai
    @august: They can do what Deadly Shadows did and give you the option to switch between 1st and 3rd person view at any moment of the game. 
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By onarum

You guys think they will/would keep Thief true to it's predecessor? or will/would it be turned into a yet another cover based third person shooter that you may or may not use stealth?

I mean can you really see kids that are used to play Gears of wars and CODs having the patience to stand still for 3 minutes in the shadows so a guard passes by? 

look what happened to splinter cell...

LlamaLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By LlamaLlama

Screwattack talked of a rumor, involving a video where it looked like people were playing Thief 4, as since in a fuzzy screen in the background of the video with a dude aiming a bow. You should be able to find this screenshot on Thief fansites, as those were the guys who apparently saw it first.  

Splinter Cell's stealth system is fine, but it isn't Garret. I could see them go into an old/new system if they aren't making a prequel, where Garret goes old school stealthing while his protege is more of the quick stealth and parkour movements. I'm not too worried though, considering the preceived effort they're making in Deus Ex being faithful yet new.
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShaneDev

No Caption Provided

Here is the screenshot of Thief 4. Does anybody know where I can buy these game online?
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By august
    @ShaneDev: You can get Thief: Deadly Shadows (Thief 3) off Steam. The others aren't available.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mordukai
    @onarum said:
    " You guys think they will/would keep Thief true to it's predecessor? or will/would it be turned into a yet another cover based third person shooter that you may or may not use stealth?  I mean can you really see kids that are used to play Gears of wars and CODs having the patience to stand still for 3 minutes in the shadows so a guard passes by?   look what happened to splinter cell... "
    If they do that then they'll get lynched by the thief fanbase. 
    SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SmilingPig

So is thief 4 still a thing in 2012 or is it dead?

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By VoshiNova

@SmilingPig said:

Would love to know the state of this game as well

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
    WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By eroticfishcake

@VoshiNova said:

@SmilingPig said:

Would love to know the state of this game as well

Last I heard (which was a long time ago) was that they're still in heavy development and would like to take their time considering how ambitious it is. Mind you, this is the same studio that developed DX: HR so I'm suspecting good things for now. In any case, they're not dead.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By VoshiNova

@eroticfishcake: that's good to hear. I would love to see the Thief series in Human Revolutions engine. all up in it

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By august

If this gets cancelled it's gonna be the worst Year of the Bow ever.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Grimhild

@august:

Just from scraping for info around the net, I'm thinking that if it's not released next year, it may not be at all, at least until Eidos decides to retool it again. Reason being that while, apparently, the last level has been designed, Stephane D'Anstous continuously remains silent about a release, even though he's talking about other Eidos Montreal topics on twitter. He did post an interview with OXM talking about design on Thief 4, but I'm not sure what he was getting at with it. The team working on Theif 4 at Eidos Montreal have been leaving at an alarming rate, and it's really unclear to me as to what's going on. If it was ready for release, it seems odd that they wouldn't have either announced this or, at the very least, had a showing at this year's E3.

So that, compounded with the fact that Thief 4 is built on Unreal Engine 3, leads me to believe that it's either going to be a release at the end of this generation's consoles, or not at all, unless they can somehow utilize UE4 for new consoles retroactively. But I'm not familiar enough with UE4 to even know if that's possible.

I'm really hoping something is being done with it. Thief is still one of my most beloved IP's.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Grimhild

Sooooo just a head's up for those that are pining for this IP like I am. Even though this report is from August, it's new to me.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/08/report-thief-4-will-be-on-next-gen-consoles

So that, coupled with an update this past week from the Eidos Montreal CM on the Thief 4 forums leaves me optimistic:

Originally Posted by b1skit

I totally understand everyone's concern, but all I can say is that it is completely misplaced. The team is working hard every day, and the project is coming along absolutely fantastically. I'm INSANELY excited by what's to come for you guys.

Like I mentioned in my introduction, PLEASE don't take it personally that there is a lack of updates. This is not in any way a deliberate attempt to avoid a conversation with our fanbase, or that we don't care - The fact that I have the chance to be here is proof that the team is invested in their community.

The simple reason for the lack of updates is that game development is an iterative process with many moving parts. Ideas will inevitably change and evolve as the project progresses - on this project, on every project and at every studio (not just at Eidos Montreal!). On projects of the AAA scope that we undertake, features and assets take years to create. They are not simply built, finalized and inserted smoothly into the game. It's exactly the opposite - each individual feature or asset is slowly crafted throughout the duration of a development cycle via a series of milestones. These interim stages of development are referred to as "placeholder" - as in, they're non-final assets or features that are there to fill in the framework of the game and indicate functionality. This applies to all of the parts that make up the game, art, menus, levels, textures, audio, programming, AI, rendering etc etc etc. Any part of any feature might be at any point of completion from 0% to 100% at any stage of the development of the game, and not necessarily up to speed with the development of other features. Some parts are finalized early, some parts are finalized at 3am the morning the game goes gold

Given that anything we might reveal is subject to change at any time, that all features are in various states of completion throughout the entire course of development, that anything could be added, redesigned or cut at any time - it's incredibly difficult to find any part of the game that is representative of the final and polished product to show off before its time. Furthermore, it would be incredibly inefficient (and even irresponsible) to completely finalize something before it's time, only to have to go back and change it later in the process because the scope has changed. All that time spent tweaking and polishing has now been wasted, resulting in a less time and resources to tweak and polish the final result - a worst case scenario for developers AND fans.

More to the point, releasing a stream of constantly changing information would be incredibly frustrating and confusing for everyone. Let's face it, some of you would want to eat us alive

But - rest assured, wheels are in motion, there is a schedule and we are on track. We will be releasing some exciting updates soon, and we are most definitely aware of the huge community sentiment surrounding the need for more developments. All will be revealed in good time, I promise... But that's all I can say right now

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By notdavid

Are they still calling it Thi4f? Because that's still the stupidest fucking name I have ever heard of.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By abendlaender

Well, they have proven that the can make a good stealth game with Human Revolution. Let's just hope that they can also make an awesome stealth game. I'm so ready for Thief 4, I would even buy it if they actually name it Thie4f (no really, I totally would!)

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By eroticfishcake

@Grimhild: Cheers for the update. Anyway, it's good to hear that it's still in development since last I heard some folks had left the company. By the looks of it they certainly still care a lot about the game (as they should for obvious reasons). SquareEnix have been pretty good with it's releases so far too so I'm quite optimistic about the whole thing although releasing the game on next gen consoles is interesting considering that it's a rather niche game and having that as a possible launch title is a little unusual. Having said that, I'm primarily a PC gamer so it doesn't really matter too much to me but still, it's an interesting thought. Thanks again for heads up.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bribo

I have a recurring nightmare; the developers charged with making the next Thief are in a meeting. They are discussing what they should include in Garrett's sneaking arsenal, when some snarky motherfucker (who wears a Chinese fisherman's cap and has a mouth where his nose should be) sneers "Moss arrows? Really?"

There is much chin rubbing, head scratching and muttering until a quivering voice suggests "Instead, maybe we give him sneaking shoes?"

The air turns cold. Everyone in the room inhales at the same time so that they can yell "If he has sneaking shoes, why doesn't he just wear them all the time?" but the quivering voice had recognised his mistake before he'd finished his sentence and blurts out "And the shoes have a sixty second cool-down period."

After a brief silence, Stephen Hawking (not via Skype, he's in the room) telepathically declares "We could litter the levels with collectables that reduce the time it takes for your sneaking shoes to cool-down."

The gathered throng are all "hmm" and "well that makes much more sense" before the Starship Trooper brainbug that is in charge of the meeting bellows "SO SHALL IT BE!"

"NOW, LET US DISCUSS THE BOSS FIGHTS."

"THERE WILL BE BOSS FIGHTS, AND WE SHALL BE OUTSOURCING THE BOSS FIGHTS."

I usually wake up screaming round about the sneaking shoes bit.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Grimhild

@Bribo said:

I have a recurring nightmare; the developers charged with making the next Thief are in a meeting. They are discussing what they should include in Garrett's sneaking arsenal, when some snarky motherfucker (who wears a Chinese fisherman's cap and has a mouth where his nose should be) sneers "Moss arrows? Really?"

There is much chin rubbing, head scratching and muttering until a quivering voice suggests "Instead, maybe we give him sneaking shoes?"

The air turns cold. Everyone in the room inhales at the same time so that they can yell "If he has sneaking shoes, why doesn't he just wear them all the time?" but the quivering voice had recognised his mistake before he'd finished his sentence and blurts out "And the shoes have a sixty second cool-down period."

After a brief silence, Stephen Hawking (not via Skype, he's in the room) telepathically declares "We could litter the levels with collectables that reduce the time it takes for your sneaking shoes to cool-down."

The gathered throng are all "hmm" and "well that makes much more sense" before the Starship Trooper brainbug that is in charge of the meeting bellows "SO SHALL IT BE!"

"NOW, LET US DISCUSS THE BOSS FIGHTS."

"THERE WILL BE BOSS FIGHTS, AND WE SHALL BE OUTSOURCING THE BOSS FIGHTS."

I usually wake up screaming round about the sneaking shoes bit.

That was pretty hilarious...

But, I'm holding you responsible if this comes to pass, since Steven Hawking obviously monitors your dreams with his psionic powers.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By themangalist

After the success of Dishonored it's hard to imagine the classic franchise NOT returning with all the hype, streamlined for a new audience. If Hitman Absolution makes it big, there's no reason why Square Enix wouldn't push this game harddddddd.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mordukai

@Grimhild: Cheers. Thanks for the update. Just last month I did a replay of Thief 2 so that was fun. I wonder if they hold off on the PC version or will they release it on PC and just wait on the console versions. Still I just hope they do the job and not repeat the same mistakes the third game did.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Grimhild

@mordukai:

Yeah, I saw you on Steam hehe.

I'd expect this to get a similar treatment as Deus Ex: HR, PC release included. Which is also kind of my greatest fear, in a weird way. I enjoyed HR, but I'm hoping that they don't just... re-skin HR as Thief, as it were. Still, I guess there could be worse things that could happen.

We shall see.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.