Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Thirty Flights of Loving

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Aug 21, 2012

Thirty Flights of Loving is a game by Brendon Chung, maker of Flotilla and Atom Zombie Smasher. It is a sequel to Gravity Bone, a first-person spy game.

Thirty Flights of WHAT THE F DID I JUST PLAY?!

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By awesomeusername

There's obviously a message I'm not getting here because I don't understand what the fuck just happened. What did I just play? Why did I spend $2.49 on this? Obviously these 3 characters went to rob an airport or something and shit went sideways. Girl had a prosthetic arm because she got in a motorcycle accident? Dude got laid. People floated in a wedding. Shit jumped everywhere. Man on a luggage stroller thing gets pushed at a gate. He shot birds. Cops waited for them. Then another car crash.

Done.

WHAT

Someone please explain because I can't believe I just spent money on this. First Steam purchase regret for sure.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Giantstalker

I haven't played this game. It's too indie for me. But comparing your reaction above to the praise on the Steam page was freaking hilarious:

"What's truly impressive is the narrative weight and emotional impact it delivers in such a short span of time."

- 8/10 ign.com

"Chung spins a memorable yarn, delivers it with confidence and panache, and trusts you to put all the loose ends back together."
    - Wired

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By awesomeusername

@Giantstalker: That's my point. I'm not seeing what everyone else is. I just can't. KILL ME!

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Pazy

I took something very simple from it, the love between the player and the girl and the comradere between all 3.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Oddly enough, I played Gravity Bone last night only to find it's sequel (this) on sale today, so I bought it.

Gravity Bone was way better. And free.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By EVO

@Pazy said:

I took something very simple from it, the love between the player and the girl and the comradere between all 3.

Yep, and I could be wrong but there's 30 scenes, or flights that you experience.

MC_Hify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MC_Hify

It's not supposed to be a "message-game" or "art-game." It's a heist story told in a non-linear way where you have to infer a lot from what's going on. Those three were a crew and one of them betrayed the other two and they had to escape from the cops. There's a commentary mode if you want to learn more about it.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Getz

I just purchased this game because of you. Somehow I don't think that was your intention.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By weltal

I think the only way to truly understand the hidden subtext is to play in Goldblum mode.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mrsignerman44

I was about to buy this, but I'm really glad I didn't and watched a playthrough because I just don't see what is so great about it and I'm the target audience for this type of game. I thought it had some cool ideas but it was just too short and unfulfilling to be considered a great experience. Jeff Goldblum mode does make the game 100x better though, might have bought it just for that.

mbr2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mbr2

It's a short story told not in order. Deal with it.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#12  Edited By Kidavenger

Play the developer commentary, it's almost as short as the game and it clears some but not all of what is actually going on up.

Also play gravity bone, it should have come with 30 flights and it's better.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By awesomeusername

@runcrash: Who betrayed who? Was it the girl? Because you leave her. I thought there was a "message" I wasn't getting because the first duder that replied quoted some reviews and I am not seeing what those reviewers said. I'm still annoyed that I paid for this.

@Getz: Definitely wasn't. Don't blame me for you wasting your money.

@Weltal: I think I'll just watch that. Thanks.

@mbr2: I'm just going to be sarcastic and say "OH RILLY?"

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By awesomeusername

@Weltal: Fuck it. I'll play it. How do I activate this mode???

Accolade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Accolade

I just finished playing it and came here for an explanation....

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By thatfrood

@awesomeusername said:

Unfortunately, it's only available to people who supported the Idle Thumbs kickstarter. I think, I mean, it was listed as exclusive to idle thumbs backers back when I backed the idle thumbs kickstarter. It's pretty hilarious though.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By awesomeusername

@ThatFrood said:

@awesomeusername said:

Unfortunately, it's only available to people who supported the Idle Thumbs kickstarter. I think, I mean, it was listed as exclusive to idle thumbs backers back when I backed the idle thumbs kickstarter. It's pretty hilarious though.

FUCK THIS GAME AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By thatfrood

@awesomeusername said:

@ThatFrood said:

@awesomeusername said:

FUCK THIS GAME AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Go play Gravity Bone, it's the sequel/prequel to Thirty Flights and it's free. Actually, I think you may be able to launch it from 30 Flights.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HarlechQuinn

@awesomeusername: As far as I remember the "Goldblum" mode was only for backers of the Idle Thumbs Kickstarter, not sure if it is in the regular Steam version. For me it looks like this after you start a game:

No Caption Provided
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By awesomeusername

@ThatFrood: I'll try that later. Not really in a gamey mood.

@HarlechQuinn: I'll check that out later. Thanks

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SharkEthic

Just finished it, and I'm as dumbfounded as you dude. Seeing as Dear Esther wound up being one of my favorite "games" this year, hearing people talk about this TFOL, made me think this would be right up my alley...but Jesus Christ, I have no fucking clue what this is, and I don't know if there's something to "get" or what...? Kinda just seems like an early alpha demo from some Quake engine modder, that people labeled art for some reason? Either way, I'm leaning towards fuck this game.

biggiedubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By biggiedubs

If you look about two threads down you can see my opinion on the game, but what I particularly liked about it was devotion to cutting out the bullshit that a lot of games burden us with.

I'm a English student, and you're taught to think about some books as 'writerly texts' and some as 'readerly' texts. Essentially, it comes down to some texts being good to read and critque for what they can teach you about good writing, and some texts are good to teach you about keeping your reader interested and engaged. Craft vs Plot, essentially.

Thirty Flights of Loving seems very much like a 'writerly' game to me, meaning that if you're not going into it wanting to think about game design or narrative, then chances are you're not going to get a whole lot out of it compared to a 'readerly' game; such as pretty much any AAA game.

I don't think there's anything wrong with not liking it, but I would implore people to play it again and consider what it's doing differently to other games, and why it's doing it differently.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By superfriend

@biggiedubs said:

if you're not going into it wanting to think about game design or narrative, then chances are you're not going to get a whole lot out of it

Well then I´d say fuck it. I don´t go to a game to analyze the narrative or the gamedesign. And while I freaking hate the debate about storytelling in games that´s going on at the moment, I´ll say this: Good storytelling makes you care about the story and not the delivery mechanisms.

biggiedubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By biggiedubs

@Superfriend said:

@biggiedubs said:

if you're not going into it wanting to think about game design or narrative, then chances are you're not going to get a whole lot out of it

Well then I´d say fuck it. I don´t go to a game to analyze the narrative or the gamedesign. And while I freaking hate the debate about storytelling in games that´s going on at the moment, I´ll say this: Good storytelling makes you care about the story and not the delivery mechanisms.

I would say that's fair enough, for this game.

For me, the story was interesting enough, but it did take multiple playthroughs and a big interest in how it was made on my part. I would love to go into game design / writing some day, so that's why I paid so close to attention to it, but I don't think you can expect that level of interest from the majority of gamers.

If you think gameplay is a way more important factor in videogames, then you're probably not going to enjoy this game.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By the_hiro_abides

It was an interesting mental exercise. More confusing and stylistic than anything else. It sure was the first time I felt like I was inside a jump cut.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.