Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

This War of Mine

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 14, 2014

A survival-strategy game set in the shadow of a devastating war, This War of Mine examines the impact of war on the civilians, not the soldiers.

This is out... Any impressions?

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

This just came out and the Steam user reviews are super positive. I won't have time to play it for a while, but has anyone else played it?

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

I really like what it's doing, and the ways it makes you consider your actions in ways some other games maybe don't, but I'm not sure I love the mechanics. I'm gonna stick with it though. If I can just find a damn shovel!

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By brandondryrock

I played a few hours of it yesterday. There isn't any tutorial or anything, so it takes a bit to figure out the systems and control. Overall I really like the idea, and the base building mechanics seem well done. I got to Day 7 and one of my characters got killed when I went scavenging, so I quit after that. The animation during fights is excellent.

@draugen You can build shovels!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the art style in the game is incredible.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#4 fisk0  Moderator

I hope Patrick, Alex, Drew or Brad will get around to playing it at some point.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@brandondryrock: You can build one? Damn, should have thought of that. I've done bad things to people on the off chance they had one on them.

And I agree, the art style is stellar. Brilliantly evocative and appropriate for the setting.

thorncp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By thorncp

Similar to @brandondryrock, I lost a character on Day 7, but continued on. Day 8, I lost another character trying to retrieve the fallen supplies. Day 9, my remaining character retrieved the supplies and got revenge, but was severely wounded and deeply depressed by the atrocities he committed. Day 10 he sat in the hideout, refusing to move. Day 11 a stranger knocked on the door, asking to live in the hideout, promising to do his share of the work. He was a mathematician with small backpack, but was the only one healthy enough to scavenge. He survived his first encounter, but was also severely wounded. Day 12 a stranger knocked on the door looking to barter. I had nothing of value, and was unable to obtain the supplies necessary to carry on. I decided to end it there.

My second run is going a bit better. No murders so far!

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@draugen: You can build shovels and other supplies with the metal workbench.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played five days, then realized the only way to win is to not play.

So I uninstalled it.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorncp: What weapon did you use for your revenge? I crafted a knife, and then you know, knife in a gun fight stuff happened. That's how one of my characters died.

thorncp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thorncp

@brandondryrock: Knife for the first guy. I realized you can do an instakill (or almost instant?) if you're in a hiding spot and someone walks by. He was the gun carrier, so I snagged it to finish off the rest. It looks like there's a cover mechanic too, but I haven't tried it out yet.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorncp: Cool. I haven't tried too much combat. But yeah I figured out the cover mechanic stuff. I went to the garage and accidentally tried to steal something, and then they pulled their guns. It would be nice if there was a little notification that would pop-up if you hover over one of the action buttons so you know what it does.

thorncp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brandondryrock: agreed, the UI could use some work. It also seems very much like they intend to go to mobile platforms, since you drive the entire thing with left clicks (would explain why there's no popups).

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorncp: I didn't think of that. That's a good point. Also how the menu is limited to Quit or Play. I think just like one screen showing what all the UI elements do would be nice. They could treat it like they treat map icons in GTA or something. Just some help to get people started out until they become familiar with the stuff.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Man I'd love to hear the guys talk about this one and have a Quick Look.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Onemanarmyy

First time i got to day 21 before everyone died.

Second time i had a person with good bartering skills, which made me get some nice deals. Once i was producing moonshine and the guy at the garage was giving me great deals for it, My safehouse started to thrive.

I still go hungry to bed every now and then , but i can somewhat sustain 4 people, and am producing a small variety of items myself.

tips: A hatchet lets you destroy all the wooden furniture in houses for wood and fuel.

If a guy really wants to barter for medicine or booze, try to produce that stuff yourself and use him for bartering. This way you can get pretty much the best deals.

To cook you need raw meat. Building animal traps lets you use bait of all kind of food to catch raw meat. Investing in traps will therefore make sure that you always have something to cook. The drawback: It can take quite some time till your traps start working .

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I don't know about the game itself but the reviews on Steam are a riot. A lot of amateur writers over there really getting into it. I know everyone has the right to be moved by different things but I couldn't help but roll my eyes.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

I don't know about the game itself but the reviews on Steam are a riot. A lot of amateur writers over there really getting into it. I know everyone has the right to be moved by different things but I couldn't help but roll my eyes.

I know. The one that ends with something like "... I was the monster!" just made me laugh so damn much.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By Humanity

@vierastalo: Yah that was a personal favorite of mine as well. I know it's super hypocritical but never before did I have this urge to scream "it's a game!"

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

@humanity: But it has allowed me to peer into the depth of the human condition, to see past the conditioning of this first world, digitalized age, and come to grips with the beast that thrives inside me! It has undone the years of double-talk and from it, I have emerged, dark, hunched and glorious in my drive of unseemly appetites!

I really don't know where I'm going with this one.

Now, seriously, how's the music? In particular, they ran an old polish pop song in one of their trailers to fan-puppy-tastic effect. Is there more time/setting-appropriate songs in there?

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I still think it's interesting how people assume there is no way for anyone to make it to the ceasefire. It's really difficult, but you actually do get a 'where is everyone now' epilogue for anyone who survives long enough to get the chance to escape the city when a ceasefire commences.

Loading Video...

My only complaints with the game are: the lack of a tutorial, and the lack of a 'modified new game' after a completed playthrough. What I mean is that after you spent a whole playthrough with everyone dead, it would be great if you could change some aspects of your next playthrough if you wanted to, like setting the length of the siege or who you start with. I understand the intention of portraying a desperate band of people who are just trying to make it as best as they can with really awful conditions, but I think it would have been cool if there were ways to unlock settings for future playthroughs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.