Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

THQ

Company »

THQ Inc. (Toy Headquarters) was a global American developer and publisher of video games.

THQ 2011 sale figures - what's next?

• 89 results
    Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Winternet

If I counted them correctly, THQ published 12 games the past year. Here are the games and respectively sale figures:

source: vgchartz.com

With only three games breaking the 1M barrier and two other games breaking the 500K barrier, I say THQ had a bad year. With already a few studios closed in 2011, things are not going well. Darksiders II and Metro: Last Light are looking like the possible money-makers for 2012, so THQ lies on their success. If both fail, then the situation is grim for the two-decade old publisher.

What do you guys think?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Those numbers look good to me.. I didn't know every major video game sells over a million copies nowadays. Just the really really big ones.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Winternet

@AhmadMetallic: I believe the average number of sales for a game to turn profit is around the 1M mark.

ninjatuned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By ninjatuned

I think on their last earnings call Space Marine had sold over 1m.  Now there are rumors going around that they've cancelled their 2014 line up in the prospect of being bought out.  :-(

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Bwast

I don't trust a site that pluralizes with a z.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#6  Edited By BeachThunder

Has vgchartz ever really been a reliable source? I highly doubt that they're really on the brink of going bankrupt.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to MLL - I really like what I've played of the original...I probably should go back to playing it before MLL is released...

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Winternet said:

@AhmadMetallic: I believe the average number of sales for a game to turn profit is around the 1M mark.

If that's true then EA must be annually flushing money down the toilet with the 20+ games they publish a year
    nightonyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By nightonyx

Homefront was another THQ game that came out last year. According to Vgchartz it sold over 2 million, so that's another relatively successful game for THQ.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Winternet

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Winternet said:

If that's true then EA must be annually flushing money down the toilet with the 20+ games they publish a year

Well, all the sport games they publish can make up for it.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Animasta

@BeachThunder said:

Has vgchartz ever really been a reliable source? I highly doubt that they're really on the brink of going bankrupt. Anyway, I'm looking forward to MLL - I really like what I've played of the original...I probably should go back to playing it before MLL is released...

I am looking forward to last light soooo much... I beat Metro 2033 like 3 times, I might go in for a fourth before last light comes out.

also VGchartz is never a reliable resource

Avatar image for deactivated-59123fe38ab28
    deactivated-59123fe38ab28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

THQ has always been a third tier publisher, I'd say this year has been pretty great for them.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @BeachThunder said:

Has vgchartz ever really been a reliable source? I highly doubt that they're really on the brink of going bankrupt.  Anyway, I'm looking forward to MLL - I really like what I've played of the original...I probably should go back to playing it before MLL is released...

A google search reveals that MLL is Major League Lacrosse. Is that what you meant? Because nothing comes to mind...

Edit: @Animasta cleared it up...
    butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By butano

Numbers look fine to me for THQ not being as big as EA or Activision. On SR3 alone they've made over $100 million (I'm not sure how much publishers get on $60 games, so this is a very rough guesstimate).

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#14  Edited By BeachThunder
    @SuperWristBands said:
    @BeachThunder said:
    Has vgchartz ever really been a reliable source? I highly doubt that they're really on the brink of going bankrupt.  Anyway, I'm looking forward to MLL - I really like what I've played of the original...I probably should go back to playing it before MLL is released...
    A google search reveals that MLL is Major League Lacrosse. Is that what you meant? Because nothing comes to mind...
    Um, yes...yes that was what I meant...

or maybe it was that one game that was mentioned above that has the acronym MLL...
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Jimbo

You need sales numbers direct from the company really. I think VGChartz pull them out of a hat or something.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @BeachThunder said:
    @SuperWristBands said:
    @BeachThunder said:
    Um, yes...yes that was what I meant...  or maybe it was that one game that was mentioned above that has the acronym MLL...
    Yeah, I guess reading the OPs thoughts instead of just the sales numbers would have made this easier on me...
    fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fishmicmuffin

I'm relatively sure all of those movie tie in games as well as the SpongeBob games don't cost a whole lot to make. 

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Winternet said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Winternet said:

That's no business model
    Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Winternet

@Jimbo: Well, is the only place that I know where I can find these numbers. If there are others, please tell me.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

Well they published Homefront earlier this year too, and despite the game being pretty lousy I remember it selling well and THQ calling it a success. I've also heard rumblings of a Space Marine sequel, so it must have at least turned some profit for them. They didn't exactly have a great year, but it doesn't seem too dire either.

That, and most of the games they published this year were crap. If Red Faction hadn't been such a bastardization of what made Guerilla good, it would've sold better. Maybe that'll send a message to THQ

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Winternet

@AhmadMetallic: Sure, but I bet that from their 20+ games published, 60/70% sell over a million copies.

@spilledmilkfactory: Yeah, I forgot. I've add it. But, the studio was closed even though the game sold over 2M.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

THQ is far from being as big as EA and Activision having a few games sell more than a million is a big improvement from last year from what can remember. I think the figures aren't as sexy as the ones we are used to hear from EA and Activision so you think THQ had a bad year.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By amir90

Kung Fu panda came out?

And they only sold 60k for the third dawn of war 2 game?

sanzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sanzee

@spilledmilkfactory said:

...and most of the games they published this year were crap. If Red Faction hadn't been such a bastardization of what made Guerilla good, it would've sold better. Maybe that'll send a message to THQ

THIS

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Jimbo

@Winternet said:

@Jimbo: Well, is the only place that I know where I can find these numbers. If there are others, please tell me.

I just don't think you can get accurate numbers unless the company just comes out and says how many copies of x they have sold, unfortunately. Even then they try and massage the numbers half the time to make it look like their game is the hottest thing in town (this is where the myth that Mass Effect is some massively successful franchise comes from).

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Winternet

@Mr_Skeleton: Darksiders, UFC, Metro 2033 kind of balances with WWE, Saints Row and Homefront.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By butano

@amir90 said:

Kung Fu panda came out?

Starcraft 2 probably was a big factor for why it didn't do as well. It was 2011's 2010 game of the year, after all.

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RoyCampbell
    @spilledmilkfactory said:
    That, and most of the games they published this year were crap. If Red Faction hadn't been such a bastardization of what made Guerilla good, it would've sold better. Maybe that'll send a message to THQ
    Yeah and THQ perceived that "message" as "Hey let's not make Red Faction games anymore."
    GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29  Edited By GS_Dan

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Winternet said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Winternet said:

That's no business model

That's a spa-.... ah, never mind.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Animasta said:

@BeachThunder said:

Has vgchartz ever really been a reliable source? I highly doubt that they're really on the brink of going bankrupt. Anyway, I'm looking forward to MLL - I really like what I've played of the original...I probably should go back to playing it before MLL is released...

I am looking forward to last light soooo much... I beat Metro 2033 like 3 times, I might go in for a fourth before last light comes out.

I installed Metro 2033 for the first time last night, it felt like the perfect game to play in my cold room wearing a bunch of clothes and lying in bed in the dark (KBM on my knees, monitor between my feet, it's a riot bro!). 
    While it was probably the perfect pick for that vibe I had, the amount of cutscenes and scripted events being crammed in my face from the get go kinda put me off and after one hour of basically no real gameplay whatsoever, I just quit. 

Was very good for screenshots though, so that's something!
    Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By Commisar123

Those seem like decent numbers to me

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mnzy

Well according to this, THQ is nearly dead.

"I don't think people quite understand.

This is it.

They canceled all projects targeted for 2014. They only exist right now for the purposes of trying to sell the company."

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By phrosnite

@Butano said:

@amir90 said:

Kung Fu panda came out?

Starcraft 2 probably was a big factor for why it didn't do as well. It was 2011's 2010 game of the year, after all.

Nope. You will find out that most 40k fans hate starcraft. It's a niche game and it's a 2nd expansion. Those always sell less. Also the previous two games didn't sell that much either.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Winternet

@Jimbo said:

@Winternet said:

I just don't think you can get accurate numbers unless the company just comes out and says how many copies of x they have sold, unfortunately. Even then they try and massage the numbers half the time to make it look like their game is the hottest thing in town (this is where the myth that Mass Effect is some massively successful franchise comes from).

That's why that, for the purpose of discussion, vgchartz comes to me as the better source for sale figures.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Zelyre

@amir90 said:

Kung Fu panda came out?

I don't think VGChartz tracks sales of digital distribution, nor do they keep track of certain retail stores like Walmart.

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By groin

THQ's stock has also plummeted and is in danger of being delisted. It has been trading under a dollar for awhile now.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phrosnite said:

@Butano said:

@amir90 said:

Kung Fu panda came out?

Nope. You will find out that most 40k fans hate starcraft. It's a niche game and it's a 2nd expansion. Those always sell less. Also the previous two games didn't sell that much either.

Also, DoW II wasn't a very good game. But shhhhh I didn't say that. 
    amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By amir90

@phrosnite said:

@Butano said:

@amir90 said:

Kung Fu panda came out?

I am a fan of both series, and so are most of my friends.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe that rumor that was being talked about in the other thread is true then. I like THQ and that's sad that a studio with so many good IP's is going down. As long as Vigil, Relic and Volition get to keep making games somewhere else I'll be okay with this.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By phrosnite

@addictedtopinescent said:

Maybe that rumor that was being talked about in the other thread is true then. I like THQ and that's sad that a studio with so many good IP's is going down. As long as Vigil, Relic and Volition get to keep making games somewhere else I'll be okay with this.

Yeap. These studios must be saved. If not, this will be a huge bummer.

buckwatters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By buckwatters

@Winternet said:

I think that depends a lot more on the scope of the game, like de Blob 2 probably didn't need 1M to make a profit, but like Homefront probably did. But yeah, studios need those "AAA" titles to break 1M in order to pay for the smaller unknown titles that may or may not make a profit.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Winternet

@Buckwatters said:

@Winternet said:

I think that depends a lot more on the scope of the game, like de Blob 2 probably didn't need 1M to make a profit, but like Homefront probably did. But yeah, studios need those "AAA" titles to break 1M in order to pay for the smaller unknown titles that may or may not make a profit.

That's why I said "average number". Homefront sold more than 2M copies and still the studio was closed.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#44  Edited By Hailinel

@Winternet: VGChartz pulls their sales figures out of thin air. They're not reliable in the least.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ll_Exile_ll
    @Winternet said:

Maybe it takes 1M to turn a profit on games like Homefront and Saints Row, but I'm pretty sure things like Spongebob SquigglePants and Kung Fu Panda 2 cost far less to develop and can in fact turn a profit with far fewer sales.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jeffsekai

You people need to buy more Warhammer 40k game.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Winternet

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@Winternet said:

Maybe it takes 1M to turn a profit on games like Homefront and Saints Row, but I'm pretty sure things like Spongebob SquigglePants and Kung Fu Panda 2 cost far less to develop and can in fact turn a profit with far fewer sales.

Again, that's why I used the word average. Jeez.

And if Homefront needed 1M copies to turn a profit, why were they closed even though they sold more than 2M?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Winternet said:

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@Winternet said:

Again, that's why I used the word average. Jeez.

And if Homefront needed 1M copies to turn a profit, why were they closed even though they sold more than 2M?

because the studio (Kaos) were a bunch of shitty devs who always made shitty games. Homefront succeeded because of the massive marketing push by THQ, not because the game was any good. In fact, it was quite shit.

So THQ shuttered Kaos and moved Homefront 2 to the Timesplitters guys.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By ajamafalous

Retribution only sold 60K? Surely that's just retail and doesn't include Steam, right?

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Winternet

@ajamafalous: I'm pretty sure Steam never releases sale figures. But, I don't expect it to be more than 40/60K

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.