Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

THQ

Company »

THQ Inc. (Toy Headquarters) was a global American developer and publisher of video games.

THQ Still Planning on Releasing Games In 2014, Despite What You Might Have Heard

• 98 results
    alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex
    THQ says you'll still be able to Warhammer online (40,000, not that OTHER Warhammer online) at some point in the future...BUT FOR HOW LONG?!?
    THQ says you'll still be able to Warhammer online (40,000, not that OTHER Warhammer online) at some point in the future...BUT FOR HOW LONG?!?

If you were paying attention to Twitter at all this weekend, amid the deluge of Golden Globes-related live tweeting and the occasional reference to Lana Del Rey on SNL (it really was that bad, you guys), you may or may not have noticed a sudden upswing in mournful discussion regarding publisher THQ and its continued existence. Specifically, the rumors claimed that THQ's upcoming Warhammer MMO project, Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online had been cancelled, and that the publisher was in the process of aborting all of its projects currently targeted for 2014.

Considering THQ's recent stock woes--it's been trading at about 66 cents as of last week--the sudden influx of doom and gloom surrounding the company wasn't altogether unbelievable. However, despite all of that, THQ representatives took a break from watching Meryl Streep's acceptance speech to take to the Internet tonight and assure everyone that 2014 is still very much a year in which THQ plans to sell video games, and that no decisions have been made regarding the aforementioned MMO, so please for the love of god stop saying anything about that before the investors wake up on Monday and stomp what's left the company's face into Wall Street's famed "curb of the unprofitable."

"THQ has not cancelled its 2014 line-up, and has not made any decisions regarding the planned MMO. As part of the ongoing review of our business, we have made decisions to ensure that the company is strategically addressing the most attractive markets. As we have previously announced, we have dramatically reduced our commitment to the kids' boxed games sector which leads to a significantly more focused release schedule moving forward. Our slate for calendar 2012 and beyond is focused on high-quality core games and continues to build our digital platform and business. We are excited for our pipeline of original and high-quality content along with our relationships with some of the best talent in the industry."

The rumor originated from the barely navigable Twitter feed of Kevin Dent, the head of the IGDA's "Mobile Special Interest Group," which somehow is a real game industry thing and not the name of a CBS crime drama. Dent stated that Warhammer was canned and that he had heard THQ had gone to the trouble of actually returning the intellectual property of various license-holders in order to start wiping 2014's slate clean.

Somewhere in-between replying to what I can only assume is literally every single person who has tweeted at him today and discussing his plan for a Counter-Strike LAN party this evening, Dent went ahead and backpedaled on all of that, repeating THQ's statement and stating when asked that all his information came from friendly sources inside THQ's various studios, while deftly avoiding every request to explain who those sources were. Because apparently after firebombing what few remaining vestiges of THQ's stock value were left with seemingly incorrect rumors, that would just be, like, wrong, or something. You can read all of his various statements and responses here. Just be forewarned: dude tweets a lot.

Anyway, the point is, THQ is all about releasing core games in 2014, and as far as you know, they're still making a Warhammer MMO, because they haven't stated otherwise--or, at least, haven't clearly stated otherwise. So please, please, please stop telling everyone they're not doing those things, because if the investors hear enough people grumbling about it they will magically appear and gut the company like the goddamned Candyman.

No Caption Provided

Oh...oh god. We're too late...

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alex

If you were paying attention to Twitter at all this weekend, amid the deluge of Golden Globes-related live tweeting and the occasional reference to Lana Del Rey on SNL (it really was that bad, you guys), you may or may not have noticed a sudden upswing in mournful discussion regarding publisher THQ and its continued existence. Specifically, the rumors claimed that THQ's upcoming Warhammer MMO project, Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online had been cancelled, and that the publisher was in the process of aborting all of its projects currently targeted for 2014.

Considering THQ's recent stock woes--it's been trading at about 66 cents as of last week--the sudden influx of doom and gloom surrounding the company wasn't altogether unbelievable. However, despite all of that, THQ representatives took a break from watching Meryl Streep's acceptance speech to take to the Internet tonight and assure everyone that 2014 is still very much a year in which THQ plans to sell video games, and that no decisions have been made regarding the aforementioned MMO, so please for the love of god stop saying anything about that before the investors wake up on Monday and stomp what's left the company's face into Wall Street's famed "curb of the unprofitable."

"THQ has not cancelled its 2014 line-up, and has not made any decisions regarding the planned MMO. As part of the ongoing review of our business, we have made decisions to ensure that the company is strategically addressing the most attractive markets. As we have previously announced, we have dramatically reduced our commitment to the kids' boxed games sector which leads to a significantly more focused release schedule moving forward. Our slate for calendar 2012 and beyond is focused on high-quality core games and continues to build our digital platform and business. We are excited for our pipeline of original and high-quality content along with our relationships with some of the best talent in the industry."

The rumor originated from the barely navigable Twitter feed of Kevin Dent, the head of the IGDA's "Mobile Special Interest Group," which somehow is a real game industry thing and not the name of a CBS crime drama. Dent stated that Warhammer was canned and that he had heard THQ had gone to the trouble of actually returning the intellectual property of various license-holders in order to start wiping 2014's slate clean.

Somewhere in-between replying to what I can only assume is literally every single person who has tweeted at him today and discussing his plan for a Counter-Strike LAN party this evening, Dent went ahead and backpedaled on all of that, repeating THQ's statement and stating when asked that all his information came from friendly sources inside THQ's various studios, while deftly avoiding every request to explain who those sources were. Because apparently after firebombing what few remaining vestiges of THQ's stock value were left with seemingly incorrect rumors, that would just be, like, wrong, or something. You can read all of his various statements and responses here. Just be forewarned: dude tweets a lot.

Anyway, the point is, THQ is all about releasing core games in 2014, and as far as you know, they're still making a Warhammer MMO, because they haven't stated otherwise--or, at least, haven't clearly stated otherwise. So please, please, please stop telling everyone they're not doing those things, because if the investors hear enough people grumbling about it they will magically appear and gut the company like the goddamned Candyman.

No Caption Provided

Oh...oh god. We're too late...

Knave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Knave

Hm, very interesting how u articulated yes yes, mhm, mhm, smoking my pipe.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#3  Edited By galiant

Another MMO! Yay?

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Getz

Alex, it's 1 AM on the east coast. What the fuck are you doing?

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By JTB123

This is good news, I hope this means we'll see a sequel to Space Marine at some point.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By yoshimitz707

I don't see why you need to insult Dent.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By napalm

@Getz said:

Alex, it's 1 AM on the east coast. What the fuck are you doing?

As soon as I saw the image, I totally knew who wrote this.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By alex

@yoshimitz707: Who insulted him? All I did was link to his tweets and refer to his twitter account as highly active.

TheCheese33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By TheCheese33

Hehehehe. Awesome Photoshop right there.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Animasta

wow, THQ is putting out 2,014 games? that's pretty impressive

Avatar image for makoto_mizuhara_sakamoto
    Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm... to those spreading the rumors-

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Alex: After giving much of the gaming community a goddamn heart attack by spreading these rumours, I can't say I'd mind if one Alex Navarro slathered on some wit and skull-fucked this guy with insults.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#13  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

A Candyman reference! Yeah baby!

I'm sorry, what were we talking about?

LibraryDues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By LibraryDues

It's a shame to hear about THQ's ongoing problems. I'm a huge fan of Relic, and Volition's stuff is pretty reliably quality (with the exception of the most recent Red Faction, of course).

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@Alex: Awesome coverage considering how late it is over in the east coast! I had a feeling that everything spreading about THQ was really off.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Flappy

@Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto: I'm sorry, but that image is totally lost on me.

Also, I appreciate you doing work at 1AM, Alex. 'Specially when Candyman is involved.

feigr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By feigr

The Warhammer 40K MMO is the one game that I am looking forward to the most. They must release it!

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vodun

@Alex said:

@yoshimitz707: Who insulted him? All I did was link to his tweets and refer to his twitter account as highly active.

Dude, you totally outed him as a CS player. That's terrible.

HeavyDuty32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By HeavyDuty32

Stupid rumor mills, potentially harming my most anticipated game in existence. Dark Millenium better happen, man.

fisher81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By fisher81

and the streak of shitty WWE games continues on

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DukesT3

I haven't seen SNL in years but holy fucking shit is it in the complete cat shit dept.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DukesT3

Wait. Isn't there ALREADY a Warhammer MMO out? I swear I bought it... =(

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By Commisar123

@Alex: Thanks for the great work Alex, I've been waiting for confirmation one way or the other on this all day.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CL60

@fisher81 said:

and the streak of shitty WWE games continues on

WWE 12 was pretty good.

vinsanity09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By vinsanity09

Candyman... I remember watching this movie thinking it was Beetlejuice back in the day, couldn't sleep alone or look in a mirror for a long time after that. Thanks for bringing back terrifying memories Alex.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By CptChiken

Im glad te rumours arent true.

phonicpod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By phonicpod

There's no way they would come out and actually say this is true, even if it was. It'd be suicide for their stock price.

Klaimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Klaimore

There's a warhammer 40k in the works?! That's fucking brilliant!! Also if they wiped every title from 2014 how am I supposed to strap it on?

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By williamhenry

With a stock price of less than a dollar, I wouldn't be surprised at all if theres some truth to these rumors, even if THQ is denying them at the moment. To me it seems like they're doing damage control at the moment more than anything.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LiquidSwords

Which one of you tards is picking an e-fight on Alex's twitter over this article?

shamroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By shamroll

I really hope the Warhammer 40k MMO turns out good. I love the universe and I might actually get back into MMO's for this one.

ghostNPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ghostNPC

Alex is battling it out right now with Kevin on twitter. This Kevin guy sure is a twit.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By KaneRobot

THIS is the only Candyman you need.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Subjugation

Much ado about nothing.

OzGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By OzGamer

one would think the WWE MMO would be more real than Warhammer for getting in $$$$ quickly?

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36  Edited By Cincaid

@LiquidSwords said:

Which one of you tards is picking an e-fight on Alex's twitter over this article?

Marcus Beer from Invisible Walls podcast on GameTrailers.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By Xeiphyer

Pulling back and focusing on their core games is exactly what they need to do. 

Assuming they're not just doing damage control and are going to go out of business, this'd be a great time to invest in THQ. They have some great IPs and talent over there.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By tim_the_corsair

I was hoping they were going to amalgamate some franchises and have Triple H starring as a Space Marine Captain of the Saints Chapter, tasked with invading Mars with his purple-clad gang.

thenexus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By thenexus

@Xeiphyer said:

Pulling back and focusing on their core games is exactly what they need to do. Assuming they're not just doing damage control and are going to go out of business, this'd be a great time to invest in THQ. They have some great IPs and talent over there.

That is the thing right now, we will not know until it all happens.

They are not doing so well but have some great titles in the works. Focusing on these, getting these out the door rather then likely wasting money and resources on just "ok" games which will likely not make that much money is a good thing.

BUT

IF what maybe going down is indeed true ALL you can do is lie your ass off about this and say it is all bull. Your stock is low as it is and if you want to make an attractive company up for sale, this sort of information so soon will not only lower stock further but will put off potential buyers as as a result.

Some interesting times ahead for them, IT may be the end or it very well may be their time to shine.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By prestonhedges

Man, I hope I can get hired by THQ like Alex someday.

L44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By L44

The one MMO I'm kind of interested in. Mainly because of the heavily established universe.

iWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By iWonder

What movie is that thumbnail from? I can tell that the guy on the left is bill murray, but that's all.

On topic, holy balls! THQ is one of the few publishers I actually really like.

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By fishmicmuffin
    @gladspooky said:

Man, I hope I can get hired by THQ like Alex someday.

I don't think he was hired by THQ....  
    Alex, like me and I'm sure many other people, does not want to see a company that puts out good video games go into the shitter.
    Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#44  Edited By Little_Socrates

@iWonder: It's from Ghostbusters. Go watch it.

Good write-up, glad to hear that THQ is doing all right. They released a handful of really awesome titles last year, even if Homefront was kinda lame.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AlexanderSheen

Thank you Alex for being awesome.

@Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto: Why did you do that? I don't want to see or hear anything about Mirai Nikki, that's poison for me.

Avatar image for andthenpatterns
    andthenpatterns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By andthenpatterns

Somewhat related, here in the UK it has been impossible to find a copy of Saints Row: The Third for about three weeks now. I spoke with one employee of my local Game, who said it's the same with all THQ games at the moment: they're just not printing enough, possibly owing to the cost.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DeF

It's kinda sad that they're doing a lot of awesome stuff with their games and they're in this much trouble (just going by their stock situation).

THQ put out some of the most awesome stuff this gen.

Darksiders? Red Faction: Guerilla? Deadly Creatures? DeBlob? Saints Fucking Row? Warhammer?

I mean sure, even if that were true and they'd have to close up shop, IPs would be sold to other publishers or they would just be absorbed and then these games would be handled by other people but would that wouldn't be the same ...

let's hope things get better for THQ!

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BlackLagoon

Just hope THQ's dev teams make it through this intact, since I'd imagine it'd be very tempting for their top talent to jump ship if they feel things falling apart around them.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49  Edited By buzz_killington

How irresponsible of that Dent guy. Specially with a company this vulnerable...

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

That 40K MMO. I need it so bad. Don't let me down THQ. Also a Space Marine sequel would be pretty rad. Relic done good with the first some polish and improvements would make for a pretty amazing game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.