Thrasher Presents: Skate and Destroy is a simulation like take on the skateboarding genre released on the PlayStation in 1999. It was developed by Z-Axis, Ltd. and published by Rockstar Games.
Unlike the Tony Hawk series of games, Thrasher was a much slower playing game that required precision inputs, landing and didn't focus on over the top high scores and arcade like gameplay. Players were required to complete their tricks from start to finish by pressing the correct button just as they land. Skateboard could break in the game if for example the player ollies from too high a spot to a lower level. There's a bail feature in the game, which lets the player leave the skateboard and tuck themselves up to minimize damage. If the player or the skateboard takes too much damage the run is ended.
Each level starts with free skating and no limits. To progress to the next level, the player has two minutes to beat a high score. Players can push their luck and try score more points after the two minute timer but at this point the player is being chased by a security guard who will taser and arrest the player which forfeits the run. Other than that there are no other objectives.
As players progress through the main story mode, which follows one of the fictional skaters trying to achieve a professional status, sponsorship's are obtained which give players access to new skateboards and clothing. These sponsorship's are rewards for beating competition levels, where players must obtain a high score but are also judged based on skill, style and risk taking.
The legacy of the game can be seen in later skateboarding titles such as the Skate and OlliOlli titles.
Axl A good all-round skater, but tends to skate burley.
He's very good at spinning, popping enormous ollies and flinging himself through the air.
His tech skills are below par, but he can grind any rail, curb, coping with anything you throw at him.
Tough and versatile, looks more like a surfer than a skater.
Kahli A good all-round skater but he tends to focus on fliptricks and ledges more than other street terrain.
When it rains he busts raps on the streets to make ends meet.
Scab The pure burler.
Is horrible at all of the fliptricks but he rides faster, lands easier, and has a huge ollie.
Has more torn flesh than a George A. Romero flick.
Jasmine A good all-round skater.
Most of her ratings are average but she is fairly good at half-pipe.
A vertical fiend.
She spins more than a spinning top but still sticks the tricks.
Roach A complete tech skater who excels at advanced fliptricks and grinds and has a bit harder time spinning.
His ollies are quite low.
H e doesn't wear underwear either.
Cyrus A good all-round skater.
Most of his ratings are average but he has a fairly high ollie.
He does below average fliptricks.
Cyrus was raised by a pack of wolves until a hunter shot his whole family.
Washington Square Park
Brooklyn Bridge Banks
San FranciscoChina Banks
- Rappers Delight - Sugarhill Gang
- Planet Rock (Elektric Mix) - Afrika Bambaataa & Soul Sonic Force
- White Lines (Don't Do It) - Grandmaster Flash
- I Know You Got Soul - Eric B & Rakim
- Rebel Without A Pause - Public Enemy
- Kool Keith Housing Things - Ultramagnetic MC's
- Talking All That Jazz - Stetasonic
- Award Tour - A Tribe Called Quest
- Just To Get A Rep - Gang Starr
- Freestyle Noize - The Freestylers
- My Beatbox - Deejay Punk-Roc
- Crossfader Dominator - Sniper
There are seven different multiplayer modes available in Thrasher: Skate & Destroy but none are playable for two players simultaneously, all operate in a turn-by-turn fashion.
- Sessions - Each player has a two minute run to post the best total score.
- Nickel Bag - Players take turns at score the highest individual trick score..
- Horse - Players take turns at busting tricks in a 'simon says' fashion
- Top Dog - Each player takes a turn at busting a tick in five different locations within a level, highest total points wins.
- Sick Fix - Players take turns at inflicting the most damage to themselves, more damage equals more points.
- Long Grind - Execute the longest grind to win the round.
- Big Wallride - Biggest wall-ride 'arc' wins.
Type in the following names in the cheat menu to unlock different decks:
Bee Suit Guy
Pick Roach without a hat. Enter BEESUITGUY as the name. Voila! You are wearing a bee suit.