Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Titanfall 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Oct 28, 2016

The sequel to Respawn's sci-fi mech-filled first-person shooter, Titanfall 2 adds a deep single-player campaign and revamped multiplayer.

Dead already on PC?

• 71 results
    Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#51  Edited By Zurv

the game runs darn well. I wish the SP player was longer. But as other pointed out, it was odd to put it out next to BF1. I played some titanfall 2 SP.. then went directly back to BF1 :)

Loading Video...

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By ThePanzini

@dharmabum: The release date was a bonkers decision but Respawn own the IP they must of had some say in it.

EA seems to have no faith in the franchise it got cold feet before the original even released after MS rescued the game, it died a quick death despite numerous free weekends, free DLC, giving away the paid DLC, and EA acces. EA also has a vested interest in BF1 and is pushing it hard which has co-marketing with MS and Sony having COD means Titanfall 2 doesn't have anyone to love it.

Respawn are a small studio by AAA standards and Titanfall 2 doesn't have the usual AAA trappings of DLC, season pass and microtransactions its like both EA and Respawn expect the game to fail and have already move on to Star Wars.

Its funny that COD added more mobility in Advanced Warfare which their community hated and Respawn tried to slow theirs down which leading to the opposite but same reaction, Titanfall appeals to disenfranchised COD players.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

'Hey man, I'm having a ton of fun with Titanfall 2!'

'Cool dude, shame for you that the game is DEAD!'

'No no no, I don't have any trouble finding games. It seems enough people are playing it to fill them up.'

'God! The internet decided the game is dead. Ded! You hear me!? DED MOTHERFUCKING GAEM! Now stop playing before you embarrass yourself playing DED games!'

Cure_Optimism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I bought Titanfall 1 on PC years after it launched and there were at most 500 players online on good days, and any mode outside of Attrition was a ghost town. Bought Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare on PC and it was completely barren. Anything but the main mode in Battlefront was empty too. Multiplayer PC games don't seem to hold a consistent and healthy playerbase for very long, especially these types of shooters so it's no longer surprising. It's why I've been contemplating whether or not to buy a PS4 and take a step back from PC gaming.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Why not just get the game and enjoy it? Who cares if people are already calling DOOM on the pc port. People call games dead all the time when theres still thousands of players and the game JUST came out... Also, this is the holiday season. Give it 2 months and that game will have a ton more people because of Xmas.

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember after TF1 Zampella was quoted that he was going to make sure the sequel came out on Steam. Unfortunately, EA is too stupid to realize the amount of sales that could be gained by delivering it on Steam.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Hopefully Sony and Microsoft can bridge the player base. Rocket league is crossplay with xbox and ps4 right?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People are getting way too caught up with numbers that really shouldn't matter to the consumer. I can almost guarantee that if you buy Titanfall 2, you'll be able to get into a game no problem for the next few years. An active community is more important than a huge community.

Why should we care if 15 million people bought the game during the first weekend? It has no effect whatsoever on the individual player. The game still sold a lot better than most games do and if it's good, people will keep playing it. The player base will also continue to be active as people tire of whatever other game they're playing and they see Titanfall is on sale.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The PC community prematurely abandoned the first Titanfall, so it's not entirely surprising that it may be happening again. What really irks me is this mindset I keep seeing where people seem to want it to fail so they can say they were smart for not buying it. That's not some kind of "vindication", it's a collective shitty attitude that results in missing out on some great games.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

That's pitiful for a AAA title.

Because all AAA titles are created equally? I don't understand how this distinction makes a difference. It doesn't matter if it's AAA, it matters if people want to buy or want to play it at that time.

It's also the Saturday before Halloween. Imagine there's a lot of people out and about at parties.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yeah, I bought Titanfall 1 on PC years after it launched and there were at most 500 players online on good days, and any mode outside of Attrition was a ghost town. Bought Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare on PC and it was completely barren. Anything but the main mode in Battlefront was empty too. Multiplayer PC games don't seem to hold a consistent and healthy playerbase for very long, especially these types of shooters so it's no longer surprising. It's why I've been contemplating whether or not to buy a PS4 and take a step back from PC gaming.

You're surprised that 2 console shooters don't have large playerbases on PC years after they were released? Console CoD has never been hugely popular on PC, other than MW2 back in the day and Black Ops 2 since that came out.

Check out Battlefield, Arma, CS (all revisions), TF2, and stuff like Rust and Garrys Mod (PC games :) ) if you want games that still have playbases years after they come out.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunkulese: I pickup Halo 5 a year after release it has an active comminty but it's US based I'm from the UK every game I played was a spongy affair, H5 is a ~5 million seller Titanfall 2 would be lucky to hit those numbers, TF1 playerbase sank like a stone I wouldn't touch TF2 on PS4/PC nevermind if I was from Aus.

@lukeweizer: Halloween isn't an event in the UK like it is in the US it also didn't stop the Skyrim Remaster selling fantastically well released on the same day.

Cure_Optimism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: No, I'm not surprised. My point is that all of those games have large playerbases on consoles despite how long they've been out. I don't buy games on release any longer since video games are pretty expensive in Canada, so when I do eventually get them nobody is playing online anymore. Games like Arma, Counter-Strike and Team Fortress are cool and all, and have a large playerbase, but I'm partial to those console shooters, as you put them.

I guess you could say your average PC user doesn't have the same pedestrian tastes as I do, hehe.

jbreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunkulese: except I didn't. I bought it yesterday for PC and since I work overnights I play games during the night. I got into 2 games and then I waited ~45 minutes and then turned it off because it couldn't find 10 players to start a game, of any mode.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jbreality: That's a problem with the matchmaking or your connection as there was more than enough people playing to instantly get a game.

Nethlem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing about Titanfall is a "console shooter". The fast movement speed coupled with the super short TTK makes this a game that immensely profits from mouse aiming. I honestly have no idea how people are able to play this with controllers, half the fun of the game is pulling insane twitch moves that would simply be impossible with a controller due to the capped turnrate.

The bigger populations on console games have to do with one thing and one thing only: Second hand sales.
    PC gamers can't sell their Origin/Steam/Uplay copies of a game when they stop playing it, so they are stuck with them even when they stopped actively playing.
    Console gamers regularly sell the games they don't play anymore, so these copies are kept in the "active rotation" as they are being picked up by other gamers as used copies. Overall console versions of games can get "multiple active players" out of one copy, while PC versions are unique to one player with no chance of transferring it to another player at a reduced price.

Status update on my experience with the game: Since Origin stopped being screwed up (as much as it can be) I've had a real blast with the game on PC. Now variety playlist gets me into games pretty quickly even in the middle of the night (Europe).

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#69  Edited By DharmaBum

@nethlem: The ADS nature of the aiming (granted hip fire in this game is more effective than before) and short TTK are what make it feel like a console shooter. Sure, you're going to be able to spin around really fast with a mouse, but you can still pull off and chain acrobatic moves and bunny hops with a controller. People often seem to underestimate that some players have used a gamepad for shooters their whole life and are quite good with it.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#70  Edited By conmulligan

@drgreatjob said:

No, because AAA titles cost a ton of money to produce, typically have a ton of money put into advertisement, and present a significant risk to the corporations that make them... so, yes, the fact that it's a AAA title is relevant because the stakes are much higher than a typical non-AAA title. I mean, this is Respawn's second major game, and it's not super successful. That does not bode well, and -- despite their clear abilities to make a great game -- they might be in some trouble.

Even if Titanfall 2 only sells 5 or 6 million copies — which is far from a disaster — I think Respawn will be fine. It might mean we don't get a third Titanfall, but they've already started production on that Star Wars game for EA which should print money and if push came to shove I can't imagine they'd have a hard time pitching a new first-person shooter based on the critical response to Titanfall 2.

HotPie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i know i should be excited for this game and every review is raving about it, but i can't get the taste of the first game out of my mouth. I felt like i paid for a 60 dollar demo and the franchise is poisoned for me, fair or not.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#72  Edited By Giantstalker
    @hotpie said:

i know i should be excited for this game and every review is raving about it, but i can't get the taste of the first game out of my mouth. I felt like i paid for a 60 dollar demo and the franchise is poisoned for me, fair or not.

I think there's something to this, but in my case, it's the fact that... while I love 'mechs and appreciate good infantry combat... the experience in neither is meaty enough to satisfy me for long. I play Mechwarrior Online, I played CoD4: MW (and other shooters too), you'd think I could be the perfect audience for this. But the first game kinda proved that Titanfall is neither of those things; it just kinda came up short for both the 'mech junkie and the infantry shooter feel for me.

I should note that I have not yet played the second game yet, when it's on sale down the line though I plan to grab it for the campaign at least. The tipping point is 40$ CAD but at nearly 80$ after taxes it's too much for a campaign only.

Nethlem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dharmabum: I wish they just made the game cross-platform, would be very healthy for the MP population and finally settle these kinds of discussions ;)

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@thepanzini: Had to be an incompetent decision by EA, right? Vince Zampella seems like a veteran in this field who wouldn't send his latest project out to die.

I highly doubt that, from my understanding Respawn controls a lot about Titanfall and EA is a smart enough company to not put out two similar games within weeks of each other. EA would rather of put Titanfall out March I'm sure. Respawn may still hate CoD enough that they'd have clouded judgment about Titanfall's capability to sell against the two heavy hitters.

Avatar image for fissionmailed10
    FissionMailed10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Free maps are surely going to help in the long run........ right?

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@nethlem: What's there to settle? Of course a good mouse player with a faster turning speed and more precision is going to beat an equally skilled gamepad player in a hitscan shooter. The point is that using a gamepad is totally viable in this game if you're comfortable doing so.

Keichan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Keichan

Not to necro, but I just saw that this is already half-off on Origin while installing Dead Space 3 to co-op with a buddy.

I'm honestly baffled that nobody here seems to be attributing the failure of Titanfall 2 on PC to it being locked to Origin. People hate (but tolerate) Uplay because Uplay is integrated into Steam, Ubisoft sells Uplay titles through Steam, Ubisoft allows you to import your Steam friends directly from Steam, and Ubisoft allows you to download your titles through Steam, which has better features such as download speed limits for those of us with garbage connections that can't have their lines 100% clogged for 2-3 days while a game downloads. Also, while Ubisoft operates their own store via Uplay, they still have their titles participate in Steam sales and therefore benefit from the advertising and awareness that come with that.

EA on the other hand, pulled all of its titles from Steam, and completely withdrew to their own service. Only dedicated Origin users are going to be aware of sales on EA games, and are going to feel committed enough to the service to want to purchase them there. Origin is where EA sends their PC ports to die, where they're isolated from the general gaming populace by refusing to cooperate with Valve. Titanfall 2 (like Dead Space 3 and Syndicate) looks fucking rad, but so long as it's locked to Origin, where absolutely none of my friends are (without a lot of nudging and bullying on my part), and where nobody is aware of it, spending more than a pittance on it would be a waste of money.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.