Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Titanfall 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Oct 28, 2016

The sequel to Respawn's sci-fi mech-filled first-person shooter, Titanfall 2 adds a deep single-player campaign and revamped multiplayer.

How healthy is the online in the PS4 version?

Burt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I play this pretty regularly on PC, and personally I think its criminally overlooked but I guess that's EA's fault for releasing it when they did.

The online is definitely tailing off but generally I have no problem getting into a game.

It's only £20 now on PS4 and I'm looking for a decent online shooter to play with a friend who isn't on PC.

Is anyone still playing on PS4?

Also how's the performance? ( I assume it's decent given the pedigree of the studio )

If it doesn't hold up or has already died are there any suggestions? I'm half tempted by Ghost Recon even though I thought the demo was pretty meh.

Lomilias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as my experience go the Titanfall 2 online community is fairly strong. I don't play on a regular basis at all, but when I occasionally drop in for a couple of games, I'm connected to a lobby instantly. This goes for pretty much every game mode. There are also a lot of great community groups/clans- whatever they are called, that are worth joining, if you're looking for a like-mined player base.

Performance-wise I only had complications when my NAT was set to "strict", but now that it's "moderate" I haven't met any problems.

Burt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lomilias: Thanks, do you happen to remember if the PS4 version has the same private match options? On the PC it's labelled as beta so maybe it hasn't reached the Playstation.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burt: Reddit has a weekly tracker for online players.

PS4 Playerbase:

Weekend: 9,493 Saturday (April 1) 9:00 PM EST.

Weekday: 5,450 Players online at Tuesday (April 25) 9PM EST

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Quipido

@burt: I play pretty much every week and have had no issues whatsoever, even in Europe - servers are populated. Yesterday I played at 6am and still got in games instantly.

Performance is perfect on ps4 as well.

By the way if you'll play on the controller for the first time, change your button layout to one of those which put jump on a bumper, it defaults to CoD scheme which has it on X which is insane and I find it incredible how many people play the game with that preset - why would you ever do that?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Humanity

Each time they bring out an update with a new map I play it to check it out and so far I've never had a problem getting into a game. So who knows it may vary by region, but it seems to be doing well.

@quipido I've played on the default scheme from the start and do well for myself. I understand the tactical advantage of having jump be on the bumpers in this particular game but I've always found that setup really awkward and simply could never come to grips with it no matter how much I tried. I'm not striving to be a pro player or anything and I've gotten first place in enough matches where I don't think it's that big of a deal.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@burt said:

@lomilias: Thanks, do you happen to remember if the PS4 version has the same private match options? On the PC it's labelled as beta so maybe it hasn't reached the Playstation.

Unless the PC has really detailed options for private matches, they should all be the same. All platforms (including PS4) also just received an update that added Live Fire to private matches. That, along with a new Live Fire map, standard map, execution, and some other adjustments and additions.

Loading Video...

@quipido said:

@burt: I play pretty much every week and have had no issues whatsoever, even in Europe - servers are populated. Yesterday I played at 6am and still got in games instantly.

Performance is perfect on ps4 as well.

By the way if you'll play on the controller for the first time, change your button layout to one of those which put jump on a bumper, it defaults to CoD scheme which has it on X which is insane and I find it incredible how many people play the game with that preset - why would you ever do that?

I recommend the "Evolved" control scheme, and turning on "hold to crouch." That way, you can hold in the "slide" button with your right thumb--which would be pushing in on the right stick--and easily slide-hop with the left shoulder button.

I also suggest setting your field of view to 90 or a little above.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recommend the "Evolved" control scheme, and turning on "hold to crouch." That way, you can hold in the "slide" button with your right thumb--which would be pushing in on the right stick--and easily slide-hop with the left shoulder button.

I also suggest setting your field of view to 90 or a little above.

In one of the recent updates they added a new control scheme called "ninja" which is better than "Evolved" for slide hopping. It puts jump on L1, leaves melee on R3 and puts crouch on R1. That means you can easily hit jump and crouch without having to click in any thumbsticks, which is more awkward, all while keeping your thumbs on the thumbsticks for aiming and curving around corners.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Each time they bring out an update with a new map I play it to check it out and so far I've never had a problem getting into a game. So who knows it may vary by region, but it seems to be doing well.

@quipido I've played on the default scheme from the start and do well for myself. I understand the tactical advantage of having jump be on the bumpers in this particular game but I've always found that setup really awkward and simply could never come to grips with it no matter how much I tried. I'm not striving to be a pro player or anything and I've gotten first place in enough matches where I don't think it's that big of a deal.

I see - I never considered people not being comfortable with the alternate schemes. I myself changed it during the first mission in singleplayer becasue it just felt right. I am 30 years old, I can admit I am too slow for a multiplayer call of duty games, I just can not keep up anymore, but in Titanfall I am doing well and I suspect it's becasue most of the people are not using (what I percieve as) the correct control scheme. That's of course purely my assumption. Looking at my stats it says I have played 554 games and placed in top 3 in 418 (75%) of those, being the MVP 177 times (32%), which is solid, I think. I only play Attrition and always with a podcast so I lose a chunk of awereness coming from sound (have it on low volume on background). I also never teamed up with anyone, I just play on my own and having a blast. What I mean is putting the CoD scheme as default brings the general skill level down and tinkering with it, which people like us, who post on forums etc., do, can bring a significant advantage.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By Humanity

@quipido: if they made that control scheme default I would have probably used it just fine but after all these hours I'm simply too lazy and impatient to rewrite my brain for it when I'm doing well enough on default. Each time I've tried bumper jumper I just get frustrated with it halfway through the match and switched back.

I'm pretty sure it's not a big deal and people with skill will excell no matter what control scheme they use. It's like the great debate in the fighting game community between stick and pad players. The pad players are in a definite minority but if you're winning then you're winning and who cares what's considered the "correct" way to play.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Quipido

@humanity: Agreed. It's just a fun thing to think about.

I'm convinced they made the CoD scheme the default one simply to be as inclusive as possible, opposed to what they had in mind from the design standpoint. But we will probably never know.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.