Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Titanfall 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Oct 28, 2016

The sequel to Respawn's sci-fi mech-filled first-person shooter, Titanfall 2 adds a deep single-player campaign and revamped multiplayer.

Titanfall 2 Live Fire DLC available now [2/23]: New mode, 2 new smaller maps, custom mixtape, and more

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

The Live Fire DLC is available now.

Titanfall 2 is also currently part of a PSN sale, and the digital version can be purchased by PS Plus members for just $23.99.

No Caption Provided

Colony is coming back in March, and along with it, we'll be getting a new weapon, a new pilot execution, and the second batch of paid cosmetic DLC, including new Prime titans.

Before that, in February, we'll be getting the Live Fire update, which will include a new game mode, two new maps exclusively for that game mode, and new features including a custom mixtape playlist. This will allow players to select only the game types they want to play, after which they'll be placed into random games using that list. This update will also include a new 1 vs 1 coliseum map.

https://www.titanfall.com/en_us/news/frontier-news-network-7/?sf52226793=1

Hey Pilots!

It’s hard to believe that we’re coming up on three months since we launched Titanfall 2. It’s gone by fast and a lot has happened. To kick things off I wanted to share a couple “state of game” facts that we’ve seen since launch:

• Titanfall 2 has been included in over 130 Game of the Year/Best of 2016 lists including Amazon, Yahoo, and Entertainment Weekly
    • Titanfall 2 was named Game of the Year by Forbes, and Best Shooter of 2016 by PC Gamer
    • Attrition is our most popular game mode [big surprise right!?] followed by Bounty Hunt and Amped Hardpoint.
    • Our DAU [Daily Active Users] curve since launch has shown great momentum. Thanks to positive word of mouth and a steady influx of new players every month we’re seeing positive growth that we will continue to cultivate with new updates and content.

While we are very happy with how Titanfall 2 has been performing, we’re not resting on our laurels. We’ve got lots more work to do in the coming months to keep supporting the game.

On the last FNN we revealed for the first time Live Fire; a new game mode for Titanfall 2 and two new maps to support it that will be coming soon in our next content update. You can read the first details here. We’re working on a kick ass trailer that we’ll be showing the coming weeks but in the meantime, we took a moment to chat with Griffin Dean, the designer behind the mode, to give some more info.

Could you break down how the mode works?

Live Fire is a fast-paced round-based 6v6 pilot only elimination mode. Each round gives players only 60 seconds to eliminate the enemy team or take control of the neutral flag. The team that holds the neutral flag when the timer runs out wins the round regardless of how many players they've lost. Knowing how and when to pick up the flag is a core aspect of the mode's meta.

Where did the idea for the Live Fire Mode come from?

Live Fire was inspired by speedball matches in paintball. We wanted to capture the spirit of these lightning-fast competitive matches and give it a Titanfall twist. Live Fire, like speedball, is fundamentally about forward momentum. You have to advance against the enemy, attack aggressively without hesitation, and make split second decisions that can make or break your team's victory.

More at the link, obviously.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I have to say, I'm appreciative of the fact that they didn't paid the state of the game with stupid and meaningless statistics that are designed to sound impressive, but aren't. Did you know that Titanfall 2 pilots have wall run over 1.5 million miles? You'd have to travel to the moon and back three times before you ran that far!

So stupid.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@spaceinsomniac: I know everyone's tired of the same refrain from DooM, but I do hope that they manage to throw in a single-player expansion in there at some point.

Anyone playing multiplayer on PC? I hear the servers are pretty barren already?

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@rorie said:

@spaceinsomniac: I know everyone's tired of the same refrain from DooM, but I do hope that they manage to throw in a single-player expansion in there at some point.

Servers are barren except for the main mode. If you're in to that - there are plenty of people playing. Although, people keep complaining that they are all "veterans" (of a 2-3 month old game... lol) and that it's "hard to have a good time."

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm glad they're making a new map for the main modes, i'm not glad that it's an old map.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

#5  Edited By Colonel_Pockets

Attrition is our most popular game mode [big surprise right!?]

Didn't they only put Attrition back in because people complained during the Technical Test?

Anyways, this game kicks ass and I will continue to play it. I hope people continue to play it and buy it.

braves01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm glad the new mode is pilots only since I'm not really a fan of titans or modes with ai troops. Now I just want another double xp weekend.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Attrition is our most popular game mode [big surprise right!?]

Didn't they only put Attrition back in because people complained during the Technical Test?

Anyways, this game kicks ass and I will continue to play it. I hope people continue to play it and buy it.

No, they just released a tech test without it included, and everyone lost their minds as if Respawn really wasn't going to include Titanfall's most popular game mode in the sequel. I think the specific reason they didn't put Attrition in the tech test is because they wanted people to try their other modes.

@rorie said:

When I think about the development time, play time, and overall value of campaign versus multiplayer content, I hope they never touch single player again. Bringing back frontier defense would be cool (co-op PVE), but other than that, I just want to see multiplayer content, rather than have the developers devote months to an extra bit of campaign that I can finish in an hour.

Doom is another story, because most people didn't seem to care for the multiplayer, at least from what I've read.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Our DAU [Daily Active Users] curve since launch has shown great momentum. Thanks to positive word of mouth and a steady influx of new players every month we’re seeing positive growth that we will continue to cultivate with new updates and content.

You know, given how I've seen the player count on PS4 steadily decline over the last month or two, I do wonder what exactly "Daily Active Users" entails. Is it the number of people who play the game on a regular basis? Because I certainly still do. I did find it a little funny that the dev in charge of Live Fire likes using the Cold War, which is probably the weapon I've spent the least time using in the entire game. The Sidewinder seems like the only grenadier weapon remotely effective in modes other than Last Titan Standing, though I've heard that the Softball does great things in Bounty Hunt.

Honestly, I don't have a ton of interest in a new mode without Titans, so I am a little disappointed that the next new map for the rest of the game isn't until March (and it's from the first game on top of that.) It's not like the current maps aren't very good or anything, but I wouldn't mind a little more variety.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I still play the game regularly, but I'm dying for Frontier Defense + a couple of new titans (Expedition and Brute loadouts from the campaign, hopefully).

Otherwise, I'm honestly not all that interested in the other DLC content they've proposed thus far.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By Humanity

@arbitrarywater: I prefer Bounty Hunt to Attrition and when matchmaking for it the player base decrease is palpable. Not only does it take a lot longer to match, but I'll often end up playing with the same players several games in a row which almost never happened at launch.

It's not that surprising though. The game plays great but there is not enough of it and the balancing of the weapons and abilities is such that you aren't really incentivized to use even half of what's there. Now they're re-releasing old maps once every few months.. I dunno man. The game desperately needs like 5-6 NEW maps like today, not one gussied up old map in a month.

There is also almost nothing to work towards. Generally bad looking skins and that's about it. Re spawn has proven that they can make a well playing game, but they have no idea how to sell it or keep it relevant.

Avatar image for purplepartyrobot
    PurplePartyRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just give me Legion Prime already.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks like we won't have to wait much longer for the Live Fire update.

https://www.titanfall.com/en_us/news/frontier-news-network-9/

We’re happy to report that Live Fire will be rolling out on Thursday, February 23. We’re adding two mode-specific Live Fire maps, Featured Playlists, a new execution, an additional Coliseum map, mixtape-style matchmaking, balance patches, and more.

To help get you started in Live Fire, we’re also pleased to announce a double XP weekend beginning Thursday and extending through Monday (Feb 23-27). Please note that this bonus XP will be granted only for playing in Live Fire mode.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for terminallychill
    terminallychill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweeeeet! I've been waiting for this update!

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DinosaurCanada

Finally. Low key more excited for the cool as hell playlist changes though.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

Can't wait to try out this update.

Just hopped back into Titanfall 2 recently. SO GOOD!

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Gonna play some this weekend then. I hope it brings more people on board. They need to get their post-launch plan down and this is a good start.

Based

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Based

Hoping to play some this weekend!

Ratinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ratinho

Think the new mode is pretty shit really. Only played like 6 or 7 games so far but it's mostly people hiding or setting up shooting corridors, complete antithesis of how i'd ever play the game. The promotional videos might be all people tearing round the areas airborne but it's been entirely fought out by people filling small areas with gunfire and the old COD EVERYONE THROW ALL GRENADES AT THE START shit*. Also phase shift almost seems a necessity in the tight areas and is just a giant advantage compared to out in the open.

That said, the game is still great outside of it so no worries. Especially love the new make your own playlist matchmaking. I get people like to obsess over numbers online comparisons but i can always find a game so i'll worry when that's not the case.

*and after a few more games, it twigged. It plays like Infinite Warfare multiplayer. No thanks.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DinosaurCanada

I'm pretty terrible at elimination modes and with the low time to kill in Titanfall I don't think I can get into this mode. Seems like a mode for more competitive people who like to stack, which I don't do much of.

EDIT: I do like the maps though, Stacks way more than Meadow.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Have they raised the level cap yet? It just doesn't feel the same when the numbers stop going up...

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@dgtlty said:

Have they raised the level cap yet? It just doesn't feel the same when the numbers stop going up...

Someone told me that they read somewhere there wasn't really supposed to be 15 generations or whatever, so an update will be released--which may have been this one, I'm not at the level cap just yet--and everything past gen 10 will then just be automatically available for your character.

Either way, I'm sure you still have loads of weapon skins, emblems, and patches to unlock.

Loving the new update, though. Thermite launcher trajectory on Scorch makes him much more effective. And being able to remap buttons combined with the new hold to crouch option means that I can finally turn while slide hopping. Speaking of which, for those who don't know about slide hopping:

Loading Video...

Evanden86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Evanden86

Am I going crazy, or did they remove angel city 24/7 completely? Did i miss a launch schedule about t or something? Like it was for a limited time?

TheFreaking21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Live fire is great...yesterday I've played it all night. Respawn is doing a great job.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@ratinho said:

Think the new mode is pretty shit really. Only played like 6 or 7 games so far but it's mostly people hiding or setting up shooting corridors, complete antithesis of how i'd ever play the game. The promotional videos might be all people tearing round the areas airborne but it's been entirely fought out by people filling small areas with gunfire and the old COD EVERYONE THROW ALL GRENADES AT THE START shit*. Also phase shift almost seems a necessity in the tight areas and is just a giant advantage compared to out in the open.

That said, the game is still great outside of it so no worries. Especially love the new make your own playlist matchmaking. I get people like to obsess over numbers online comparisons but i can always find a game so i'll worry when that's not the case.

*and after a few more games, it twigged. It plays like Infinite Warfare multiplayer. No thanks.

Same boat here. I appreciate that Live Fire exists for the Titanfall population wanting a more straightforward PvP experience, but I definitely prefer the larger, wilder modes like Attrition and Bounty Hunt.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

Played a couple hours of Live Fire last night. Absolutely love it! I'm a sucker for any "one life per round" mode and the fact that you're up and running again within a minute is great.

braves01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Liked Live Wire quite a bit...meadows is cool, dont like the other one quite as much.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Giant_Gamer

@spaceinsomniac: Seriously, whoever is working on Titanfall 2 trailers deserves a fucking raise!

Even though i'm playing this game, i got an itch for playing it after watching the trailer.

@ratinho: i'm sorry but i don't agree with you here. Judging a game based on player behavior is not right. Specially when the game provide decent countermeasures such as clock and active radarfor these players.

Avatar image for terminallychill
    terminallychill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After playing around twenty rounds of Live Fire, I really like it. It was frustrating at first because my instinct was to stay back with the hemlok and be careful, but I was doing badly. I switched to the alternator with phase shift and I'm trying to stay mobile and it's been a lot more fun. Both of the maps are cool too.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DinosaurCanada

After playing a lot more Live Fire I'm actually really into it, just had to get comfortable with the playstyle. Super tense with a lot of split-second decision making. I have a feeling it will probably be one of the most popular modes.

Ratinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ratinho: i'm sorry but i don't agree with you here. Judging a game based on player behavior is not right. Specially when the game provide decent countermeasures such as clock and active radarfor these players.

The mode is set up to reward that behaviour. It's trying to get more COD players involved and happier. Fair enough, no interest to me though. Which isn't really an issue like i said.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@ratinho said:
    @giant_gamer said:

The mode is set up to reward that behaviour. It's trying to get more COD players involved and happier. Fair enough, no interest to me though. Which isn't really an issue like i said.

I think with Titanfall's really great movement they should have made a mode where it's an ice map or something and you need to keep moving or else you take damage with levels that would have really creative pathways. A mode that encourages the strongest aspect in the game which is the flow of getting around. I'm not sure what the Live Fire mode is aiming to promote - I suppose in part a better focus at player vs player combat, but it seems like putting in rounds and no respawns just works against the entire idea of the game.

Cool that some like it of course. I've been complaining about wanting new maps but this isn't exactly what I was hoping for. Hey there is always March.

Ratinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ratinho

Yeah maybe i just expected something very different from the marketing for it, maybe that will come from maps that are still small but less choke pointy. Given it a lot more time this weekend and i'd certainly retract my 'shit' rating BUT it's never going to be what i go to when i boot up T2 unless the maps change a lot or it's double xp.

Am still playing LF now but mainly because i've been swamped with work for months and this week has been my first chance to get properly into 2 and i want the double XP!

And now i cannot get in any game at all for the past hour...sigh. They don't help themselves.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ratinho: @humanity:

Running around the map and taking down your opponents while knowing that you only have one life, is thrilling to say the least.

I didn't have that much of problems with it until i faced a team that were speced for camping with amped shields and cloaks, this is when it stopped being fun.

I totally understand your point now but the idea works for the game, it just needs some tweaks from Respawn to discourage the campers.

Ratinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I think a lot of it is down to the maps rather than the concept. I found the...oh god forgot the names of the maps, but the more open grassy one with the zip lines was more fun and offered up more options whereas early on i seemed to always be on the other one, which i like the look of but the design is very corridory and i was being cut down COD style rounding any corner.

I trust Respawn to tweak it and make it better, not let me down yet really.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually prefer Stacks over Meadow, since you can go vertical with Stacks as the towers are high enough to make it harder for campers to spot you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.