Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Titanfall 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Oct 28, 2016

The sequel to Respawn's sci-fi mech-filled first-person shooter, Titanfall 2 adds a deep single-player campaign and revamped multiplayer.

Why I haven't bought but want it so bad.

cid798

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I love the original Titanfall Beta, played the shit out of it. I bet a lot of us did, and in the long run it might have hurt the product.

Titanfall 2 I've seen the media, the quicklooks, looks great looks fun. I've seen the price drops, sales, you name it. It's on Origin.

I want it, but I got Doom, Witch 3, and Shadow Warrior 2 for $70 on a platform that the one time I personally goofed refunded my money versus a platform that took a long time on the phone with support to get what I paid for (BF4).

Another platform, the exact same experience, after buying the edition of Farcry4 that includes the season pass (from their store), I didn't get the benefits of the season pass without going to both support chat and phone to get it credited to me.

Certainly I feel burned, and Im not one to hold grudges if it weren't such a common thing.

I want the game, I wish the steam hype were true, but I want the game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Well as of now there is no season pass or DLC that you might have issues with. So unless you really have some bad luck and the base game somehow doesn't work then it's safe to say that there has never been a better time to buy Titanfall 2.

alphasquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By alphasquid

Origin does have a return policy. I think it's within 24 hours of first launching the game.

CujoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in the same boat. The game looks amazing and I would totally pay full price for it. However, I absolutely do not want to sign up or have anything to do with origin.

That said, there is no shortage of other games to play that don't require me to jump through more rediculous hoops to play.

I refuse to "sign up, log in, and subscribe to" each and every major publisher just to play the one game I may play from them. Even if they offered Titanfall 2 for $1.99 I would gladly pass.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

That said, there is no shortage of other games to play that don't require me to jump through more rediculous hoops to play.

How is signing up one time and installing a client a ridiculous hoop? I signed up for Origin years ago, now when I want to play an Origin game I just click on the icon on my desktop and that's it.

IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By IcyEyes

@mike: @cujoprime:Yeah, signing up for Origin was probably one of the easiest things I've ever done and I've had it for years now. We're also not talking about just one random account for a single game. This is EA, people. One account for all their current and future games. The hatred for Origin is absurd, but perhaps batman was right all along; people always fear what they don't understand. ?

In any case I guess it all depends on if you really think it's worth it or not. I personally think this tiny inconvenience to play the best shooter of the year for free is more than worth it. But to each his own and maybe the signup hurdle is a good way to weed out the less desirable players.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@cujoprime: @cid798:

Titanfall 2 multiplayer will be free this whole weekend. You should both at least try it. If you have a console, maybe try that version. If you only play on PC, and a console just isn't an option, then you should probably just bite the bullet and install Origin. I mean, I get what you're saying, and developer specific platforms really are a load of crap, but you're honestly not going to ever play the new Mass Effect because you don't want to install or use a different software client?

If you do play on console, you should know that it just received an update yesterday that added a FOV slider, and it already runs at 60fps, so it's not a bad way to play.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Install Origin. Play Titanfall 2. Enjoy life.

CujoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know that post made me sound like the old curmudgeon that I probably am, and I probably didn't explain my perspective very thoroughly.

Bottom line is publisher specific clients are a shitty policy.

I'm glad Titanfall exists and I hope that it does well. But when so many people are complaining about the PC player base being mediocre this soon after launch and I'm just giving my reason for not jumping on the band wagon.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@cujoprime: you probably expected this response, but do you feel the same way about steam? Origin allows other publishers to have games on their service like steam but their own games don't appear on other services. Valve does not put their games on other platforms and gets no flack for it but EA does?

CujoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ulquiokani: I do have steam, but steam is inarguably the standard barer for PC gaming. Additionally, valve (despite the occasional hiccup) seems committed to value and a quality market place experience. I'm not on steam for valve games in particular. I haven't played a valve game until last week when I bought the Portal games on a significant discount.

I did not expect to have to defend my position on publisher specific clients but here we are I guess.

And, yes, some of this has to do with EA and their past business practices. I believe Respawn themselves are a great developer and as I have repeated, I hope they have nothing but success. But for now now they will survive and (hopefully) thrive without my money. And who knows maybe by Titanfall 3 my opinion may have softened. However, in a competive market, and a year that is particularly flush with exceptional games, I'm not going to fret over missing this one. Not when my precious resource of time forces me to make decisions on my personal criteria for what to prioritize. I'm not going to play every game and I have no delusions to even try.

Is Titanfall 2 worth my my $60-$80 or whatever? Probably YES. Is it worth it when attached to a publisher client that I don't respect or trust (in my opinion)? Unfortunately, no. And I will gladly play something else. This is not me shaking my fists and shouting at EA/Origin or Titanfall or even the people that do support and enjoy those products.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Titanfall 2 was out on Steam, I'd have bought it by now and I'm sure a lot of other PC gamers are similar. I am fully convinced that that is part of why sales on PC are so low. For me it doesn't have anything to do with EA as a publisher or any mistrust of Origin. It's just that I prefer having all of my stuff in one place. I own loads of games on Steam and maybe 20 on GOG and I don't want any other clients. I don't even really play games on GOG but I like to support what they do. My friends play on steam and I am used to how it works. If EA wanted me to play Titanfall, it's have to be on steam, otherwise I'm just not bothered.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fnrslvr

@cujoprime said:

Bottom line is publisher specific clients are a shitty policy.

Publisher-specific clients are an excellent idea, because bluntly, Valve doesn't deserve to scrape fully 30% (or more) of the proceeds from every sale of a game for merely existing and listing the game on their store. Game development is a horrible crunch-intensive job and publishers take on huge risks every time they finance a $50mil+ tentpole, meanwhile Valve offers an admittedly polished client (though not billions of dollars in profits polished), an overlay I never use, and a farm of download servers that could be assembled by a dozen 20-year-old uni students. (I have watched enough cloud infrastructure services form in this manner to know.) Hell, Valve doesn't even properly curate the damn store, which you'd think would be their main job.

Don't get me wrong, I mostly like Steam. I just spent $200 on the Black Friday sales on Steam. But I try to make an effort to find out which storefront will likely forward the most proceeds to the devs each time I go to buy a game. I buy my CD Projekt games from GOG, my Ubisoft games from UPlay, my EA games from Origin, and, yes, even my Microsoft Studios games from the Windows Store if they're listed there. I'd have to have a pretty terrible experience to do otherwise.

@cujoprime said:

Additionally, valve (despite the occasional hiccup) seems committed to value and a quality market place experience.

Their visible commitment falls well short of their ability to commit. The company is worth billions, and yet their willingness to properly curate anything on the store that made them all that money -- their foray into paid mods for Skyrim, toxic internet witch hunts, the shitload of "games" in early access that are little more than repackaged tutorial asset packs -- is almost imperceptibly higher than zero.

@cujoprime said:

I did not expect to have to defend my position on publisher specific clients but here we are I guess.

Dude, you started a thread to soapbox about your ideological abstinence from a game you want to play over said position. (Oops, wasn't you who started the thread. My bad.) If ever there was going to be any substance to this thread, it's this.

GnosisLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steam was a publisher-specific client. While I'm not a huge fan of Origin, I remember when Steam was way shittier than Origin currently is. If you wanted to play Half-Life 2, that's what you needed to get. It's still way better than uPlay or the Windows Store.

If you want the game, just get it. It's probably still on sale for $40. Also, Overwatch is a pretty good game too. It's worth signing up for Blizzard's dumb client to play.

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cid798:

I, too, was in the same boat. I was very leery about downloading Origin for Titanfall 2. Heck, I even posted a thread here about it.

All I can say: just download Origin and enjoy an excellent game. Does it suck that it's not available on other platforms? Sure. But Origin is not near as bad as what I thought, or expected it to be. I've came to the conclusion that I'm not going to be a "Steam only, OR ELSE!" kind of gamer. I've spent a lot of time indignantly refusing to enjoy a game because it wasn't on Steam. You know who suffered? No one but me.

And for those who complain about the Titanfall 2 player base... it's a non-issue. Just buy the game and enjoy it. The majority if people complaining have never even touched the game. I've played multiple matches, multiple times, with very little waiting. I personally think this is getting blown way out of proportion.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want it, but I am so so so backed up on games right now. I'm trying to power through some games that way when Horizon drops in a few months, I'll be ready, but I don't think I'll make it. Plus I don't have the time to commit to a multiplayer shooter at the moment.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Its will be mere cents in a matter of months, but I suspect the hype will be over by then.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By BoOzak

@fnrslvr: I agree with everything you've said but the guy you responded to didnt start this thread ;p

Steam has turned into quite the cesspit of games and I no longer associate them with quality, they may have the most fully featured storefront but i'd rather not use a client to play games personally. So, Steam, Uplay, Origin, it's all the same shit to me. That being said I wouldnt let that stand in the way of me playing a good game. But I dont see the point in lauding one over the other.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MeierTheRed

Origin has come a long way since it started. The client is not a hot mess like Steam has become. Its easy signup its easy to buy and install games. And i have never had it crash once.

These days i don't want to look at the Steam store. Even with the new UI the storefront is garbage and the mobile ports and shitty games pile up each day by the tons. Something Origin and Uplay doesn't have as of now.

If the game looks good, and you really want to play it. Take the 2 minutes to sign up, it won't ruin your life. Titanfall 2 is well worth it, and the occasional free game on the house is a nice benefit as well.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

Honestly if you've not liked a lot about the way EA have handled games in the past then this is the game to support.

No season pass, free updates, and it's already been on sale for a great price.

Sure, having to deal with additional launchers sucks. But Origin keeps improving over time, and Steam used to be just as bad as Origin was (if not worse). It just feels different because you're used to it being around. But there are as many arguments to be made against Steam as a platform/service, if you're looking to single out one against another. You're of course entitled to make your own decisions, but I really don't think that having to deal with EA's launcher is a good hill to die on, especially when it means missing out on a great game like this one. Just feels like biting your nose off to spite your face.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steam lets people list game releases as "When my body is ready" (I'm not making that up). It's become a garbage fire of a client.

Titanfall 2 is a pretty great game. It has a smart single player and fun multiplayer. They're not selling maps or loot boxes or gear, just skins and cosmetic stuff, that if you like the look of you buy and that's it. You couldn't ask for a fairer system and from EA of all companies, those guys who forged the idea of Project $10.

cid798

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like this "Take the 2 minutes to sign up," . Something from the my original post "Titanfall Beta, played the shit out of it".

cid798

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cid798

@jesus_phish: how is that so if it also allows you to block that ?

cid798

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cid798

I am sorry this turned into a freaking bash house of Origin , Uplay, and Steam. But come on, I gave examples of Origin and Uplay being shit to me, it doesn't mean I'm championing Steam

Lock it down, it is so off topic

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should just try opening Origin again and see what happens.

As others have said, try the free weekend this weekend. At some point you have to confront this fear, otherwise you're just never going to a play an EA game again and that sounds like you are potentially cutting yourself off from some cool things now and down the line. You can do it man.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cid798: I'm not sure I understand your question.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.