Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Titanfall 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Oct 28, 2016

The sequel to Respawn's sci-fi mech-filled first-person shooter, Titanfall 2 adds a deep single-player campaign and revamped multiplayer.

Worth it for JUST the campaign?

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By BBAlpert

Hey folks,

I've been hearing a lot of very good things about the single player campaign in this game, but I'm curious if it's substantial enough on its own to warrant a buy. I suppose it would be an ideal case for a GameFly/RedBox rental, but I'd be playing on PC (which is itself part of the reason I'm hesitant about multiplayer).

Is the single player "very good" or "very good for a supplemental story piece"?

Thanks!

*edit: I don't have an Xbox One or a PS4, so PC would be my only option*

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 FinalDasa  Moderator

It's great and totally doable for a rental. In fact I've been recommending friends rent it if they can't buy it just yet.

The campaign is pretty short (6-8 hours) and you could probably toss in a few matches of multiplayer just to test it out.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finaldasa: The problem with renting it is that I don't have either console. I probably should have mentioned that.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ripelivejam

@bbalpert: i think greenmangaming has it for $47 US still if that's more palatable (cant check atm)

e: correction $48.99 US if you sign up for an account.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved it from start to finish, and I am terrible at FPS'. Great campaign, and while the main character is extremely dry, the Titan is great. and it has some of the best level design I have ever seen in an FPS.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

It is really really REALLY good. The whole campaign playing on normal was just challfeing enough but put me in so many senarios where I just felt like a complete and total badass. I am seriously considering replaying it again if I can pull myself from the multiplayer

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God no. Its a decent campaign with some really cool moments but its not worth a buy just for the campaign part. The AI is hot garbage and the story and characters are atrocious. Wait for a sale dude, that game's price on PC is gonna drop real fast.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

For just the campaign? I personally wouldn't say so. I enjoyed the campaign and I really like the game as a whole but the value proposition for just the single player portion of the game isn't great.

Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
    The_Last_Starfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For just the campaign? I personally wouldn't say so. I enjoyed the campaign and I really like the game as a whole but the value proposition for just the single player portion of the game isn't great.

I'd agree 100% with this, the campaign's really good but there are a lot of other options out there that offer more for a similar price point.

If you think there's any chance you'll enjoy the multiplayer I would highly recommend it though. Keep in mind with the new Networks system you can play T2 with all Giantbomber teammates all day long. That in itself is a pretty big pull for me, it's been great playing with fellow duders and def keeps me coming back.

anden4300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The single player is really great. but you should definitely also try out the multiplayer. i have been playing the whole campaign and multiplayer on PC with an Xbox One controller, i'm just so used to playing with a gamepad and so far it hasn't been a problem at all.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Was worth it to me for the single player. I bought it with no intention of playing multiplayer. But, every person is different.

I might try multiplayer though. Maybe.

bizmarkiefader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends on how much the 60 means to you. I thought it was worth it, but if you're on the fence and don't care about the multiplayer it'll be on sale soon enough given the competition.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
    RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finaldasa: Good idea! I hadn't even thought about renting it, but upon reading your post, I found several Redbox kiosks near me that have it. Thanks for saving me 50 bucks, duder!

Logan494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subjugation: it's short, no doubt about it, but there's so much variety and stellar moments that I have no problem recommending it for the campaign only. I've barely touched multiplayer

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By AltonBrown

Nah. The campaign's certainly above average, but I feel like a lot of the praise it's getting is kinda overblown.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Campaign's good, but not $60 good. I'm having fun with the multiplayer, and it is what is.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

I don't think so. It has one incredible mission and a few really could sections, but otherwise it's pretty average. Plus it's like 6-8 hours. Personally, that's not enough for $60. The multiplayer is really the selling point for me.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While awesome and I'm playing it over again on a more difficult setting, it's pretty short. So if you don't care about paying whatever price just for a 6 hour campaign then go for it. It's the most fun I've had in a FPS in a long ass time. It reminded me of Half-Life, Vanquish, and the best of COD mixed into one.

grapesoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I may ask what is the reason you're hesitant about the multiplayer?

Player count on PC is kind of abysmal for a triple-A game that just came out two weeks ago(according to the number in game there is about 1000 less people playing titanfall 2(~5.5k) than payday 2(~6.5k) and the latter came out 3 years ago). But if you buy in now you should still be able to find multiplayer games with a decent ping for a few weeks at least.

As far as the campaign goes its good but pretty far from being worth $60. It does some unique things but overall I had a lot more fun with the new doom campaign. It shouldn't be too hard to avoid spoilers if you wanted to wait for a sale though, outside of GOTY discussions its hard to imagine people talking about the game for much longer.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't buy this just for the campaign. It's like 3 or 4 hours, tops. If you want to play the campaign, just rent it. If you're on PC, wait for the price to drop.

Avatar image for thechronodarkness
    thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EA games tend to go pretty cheap within the first year. Especially if you could wait until next summer, you'll definately find it for at least 20$. Seems most people are saying, campaign is solid. Just, is a short campaign worth 60$ to you? Like Crysis 1, 'granted, I spent 14$' has a extremely short 5-7 hour campaign. I've replayed it more than probably any other game.

I'd wait for a price drop it sounds like. Its what I'm doing.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

Don't buy this just for the campaign. It's like 3 or 4 hours, tops. If you want to play the campaign, just rent it. If you're on PC, wait for the price to drop.

3-4 hours tops? Isn't that undercutting it a bit?

If it's 6-8 hours as some are saying here then I can see validity in blasting through it over a weekend or something if you're able to get the game on the cheap but anything more than $30 for just a single player campaign of a multiplayer centric shooter isn't worth the asking price. I'm sure it will drop down eventually but not for at least a month or two. Unless they pull a "Doom" and get desperate for people to play it. Man Doom went down to like under $30 within a month of release.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

It's a solid campaign with a handful of stand-out moments, but on its own I would hesitate to say it's worth $60. Get it when it's around $20 if you have no interest in the MP.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I buy every major shooter for the campaign only... but I wait for them to get down to $20. The price point you're comfortable paying may vary, but I'd say go for it .

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

It's worth playing in a half year or so when the price drops. But not at full price. I do love the campaign, but it's just not big enough by itself to justify the price tag. Ultimately, it's a mp game at heart.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By atomicoldman

@humanity: I cannot see how that campaign could exceed 5 hours for people. It took me around 4 I believe to get through it. Granted I wasn't searching for pilot helmets or anything (though I did find about half because it's not like many of them are well hidden or encourage exploration.)

Maybe 4-5 is more accurate and 3 is undercutting it, but whatever. Point is it's not worth $60 for that alone. Maybe at 20 bucks or something. If you can rent it from a redbox then you can pay a fraction of that and knock it out in a day. The campaign is actually good enough that you might feel compelled to sit there and get through it in one go too.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

You can beat the single player in like 4-4.5 hours unless you are absolutely terrible and keep dying over and over again. If you are buying the game only for single player, no I do not think it is worth it. I got 70%+ of the trophies on my first run and I know I can get all of the rest on my second so its not even worth it if you're a trophy hunter. I'd Red Box the game but that's not an option for you, so the answer is no.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I spent 15-20 hours playing through it once but then I am an excruciatingly slow player. If you just want to play the campaign I suggest trying to rent it somewhere.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BBAlpert

Update: I ended up grabbing it on sale on Origin for $30. In the 40 minutes I've played so far, it's crashed twice.

Maybe THIS is why people have been suggesting going with the console versions...
    Maybe THIS is why people have been suggesting going with the console versions...

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bbalpert said:

Update: I ended up grabbing it on sale on Origin for $30. In the 40 minutes I've played so far, it's crashed twice.

Never had that happen once nor a crash on the PC version. But thats with my hardware and each system is different. But on the other hand my PS4 version has crashed at least a handful of times. So the caption on under that picture is probably not the best.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.