Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Titanfall

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Set in a far-flung, mech-filled future, Titanfall is the first first-person shooter built by Respawn Entertainment, the studio formed by ex-employees of Call of Duty developer Infinity Ward.

NOW i'm on board with Titanfall!

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I had originally tuned out during the demo at the MS stage show cause i thought it looked like just another sci-fi shooter with mechs. Now after watching that demo again i see why everyone is so hyped about it.

Think i might buy it for PC when it comes out.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Respawn guys talking about it on the live show said MS give them lots of Azure for the Xbox One version but for the PC then they're going to be doing a cut down thing there (presumably MS don't give free/cheap prices for compute so they'd have to budget their own Azure instances for that platform despite Windows also being an MS platform).

As this is an MMO (always connected, requires constant internet, multiplayer only) then the idea that they're cheaping out on the servers for PC to make sure the Xbox One is the definitive edition sounds a bit crappy to me. I was also thinking PC was my platform of choice but maybe I'll wait until reviewers weigh in at launch about the platform differences. Maybe this is all PR spin and by launch the PC features (and work done on the server side of this MMO) are identical as the Xbox One edition or so minor as to not matter.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

7 versus 7 pilots sounds shitty. I don't fucking care about all the AI fighting everywhere. 7 versus 7 players in a match sounds shitty! SHITTY.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I still don't see it: it just looked like another bland multiplayer shooter to me.

On the other hand, I did not give a single shit about Destiny until the demo at Sony's press conference. It looks really cool and pretty unique (like a Borderlands done right, almost). It's a shame it's not coming to PC which means I'll probably never play it, but if I had to choose between one game or the other, the choice is pretty easy for me.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@jedted said:

I had originally tuned out during the demo at the MS stage show cause i thought it looked like just another sci-fi shooter with mechs. Now after watching that demo again i see why everyone is so hyped about it.

Why are people hyped for it?

I mean, aside from the fact that it looks like a sci-fi Call of Duty with mechs? Is there anything else?

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It looks okay.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

@hailinel said:

@jedted said:

Why are people hyped for it?

I mean, aside from the fact that it looks like a sci-fi Call of Duty with mechs? Is there anything else?

Well, if you get all reductionist based on a few minutes of footage you can make anything sound stupid....

But I'm kind of done with competitive shooters at this point so I couldn't tell you. People like shooters. Those guys made some pretty good shooters. It's a new generation of consoles.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not instantly sold on it, but I think it has potential. Walljumping and mechs would actually do a lot to elevate it above the likes of CoD. (Assuming it all works smoothly.)

I think it's way too early to say it's an instant winner, but it could be cool.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By Jedted

@arbitrarywater: I don't play a lot of shooters either(which is why i didn't pay attention to it) but i decided to give it a second chance and now it's piqued my interest.

MikeW1980UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'll tell what blows my mind about Titalfall.

It's a Source powered game. Half-Life 2 tech and all that jazz. And it's the only reason I haven't completely written of the XBone.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'll tell what blows my mind about Titalfall.

It's a Source powered game. Half-Life 2 tech and all that jazz. And it's the only reason I haven't completely written of the XBone.

Heavily modified. It's probably not much more of a Source engine game as Call of Duty is a Quake engine game.

MikeW1980UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaccheus: I'd say its as heavily modified as an Unreal Engine game this gen.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

If I'm going to be hyped for a multiplayer focused shooter, it's going to be Destiny. I think it looks okay and I'd definitely be interested to try it out when I eventually get an Xbone.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

7 versus 7 pilots sounds shitty. I don't fucking care about all the AI fighting everywhere. 7 versus 7 players in a match sounds shitty! SHITTY.

Wow is it really only 7v7? That totally sucks. Isn't this game just Starhawk with less vehicles? Even that game had 32 players........

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthorange: Right now for consoles at least it is 7 versus 7 on maps populated by AI to supplement that number of players. My source is the GameSpot Stage 1 interview with a Titanfall developer. I think the guy asking the question was just as negatively surprised as I was, haha; he hid it well though. Apparently AI is supposed to be the regular grunts/and low-end mechs, and the relatively low number of players are supposed to "Pilots" like more elite warriors that drive Titans which are bigger and better than the AI mechs running around. They said 7 versus 7 was the sweet spot right now for this game, but I do hope for the sake of "next-gen" that they lower the AI presence and increase the number of players involved, because it all got that underwhelming feel right now.

MikeW1980UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Is it just me or does this game look like the full realization of Starhawx?

I always thought that game had an awesome concept, space cowboys riding mechs, but the game was completely middle of the road. When I saw the Titanfall animation of the player interacting with the mech I had a flashback about how awesome the Starhawx animations were. TF looks more grounded and an FPS instead of 3rd person cover based shooter, but there's a link. Maybe this is the game Starhawx wanted to be. Instead they didn't have the balls to sell themselves as a multiplayer only game and ended up tacking a 6 hours tutorial as a single player campaign. That game also had tower defense elements, but I can see TF adopting a point-of-defense mission structure.

This was the only game that made me consider buying an Xbox One, if it were a launch game it would be a different story, as it is I'll wait for the PC version.

Avatar image for mightymayormike
    MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think what got me was the in-cockpit shot. I love mechs, and a really cool cockpit view can sell me, much to my embarrassment.

I do really like the way it looks, but it depends how it plays on the PC. I hope we'll have far less shitty ports of big dev games in the next gen.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#21  Edited By ManMadeGod

@funkydupe said:

Wow is it really only 7v7? That totally sucks. Isn't this game just Starhawk with less vehicles? Even that game had 32 players........

Why does the amount of players matter? COD2 has some of the best multiplayer I have ever played and that game was 4v4.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I don't care about the 7 v 7, in fact the crew I run with on a multiplayer shooter amounst to about six or seven anyway.

I think all the Azure for the Xbox One stuff is a bit too over blown. Have you played an 'in browser' game on your crap computer...congratulations you have played a game where some data was computer elsewhere....do you feel futuristic space man?

Anyone can do that stuff, if you read all the articles they pretty much say MS has six competitors for data storage & push space. There is not one bit of hardware in an Xbox One that allows it to happen or not happen, so don't expect much. There is not one bit of tech that is out of the hands of any publisher putting games on any platform.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ravenlight

Just a question: What makes Titanfall more exciting than Hawken and Mechwarrior Online? They're all multiplayer mech games.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By tourgen

@funkydupe said:

Wow. I didn't know it was only 7v7 too. That's not really that interesting to me.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SomeJerk

It's also coming to the 360, and there's been too many hints that it's a timed console-exclusive. Way to sell Xbox Ones, MS!

(This is more exciting to me than Hawken and MWO, it's hard to explain to those who haven't played those two. Hawken could do with a great budget and revision and massive tweak, MWO's just flat out doomed. Great ideas in Hawken though.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.