Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Titanfall

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Set in a far-flung, mech-filled future, Titanfall is the first first-person shooter built by Respawn Entertainment, the studio formed by ex-employees of Call of Duty developer Infinity Ward.

PC Titanfall Players; Do you play with controller or keyboard and mouse?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sopachuco13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

Poll PC Titanfall Players; Do you play with controller or keyboard and mouse? (152 votes)

Controller (Xbox, PS3, PS4, Logitech, booleg bodega controller, etc.) 42%
    Keyboard and mouse 58%

I have been playing Titanfall with my roommate on PC and we are wiping up on PC using our Xbox 360 controllers. Is anybody else playing on the couch?

• 
    randyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

In a game that requires me to aim, I will usually choose mouse and keyboard when given the option. It's just so much more precise. In a multiplayer game, I would think it would be a disadvantage if you were using a controller.

itsmadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

I've been only playing with a controller and am doing surprisingly well compared to the competition. Titanfall is probably more controller friendly than most shooters I suppose.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That's because the aim assist in PC Titanfall with a pad is SICK.

phampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mouse and keyboard. I have heard that controller works pretty well.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mouse&keyboard, I never play PC shooters with a gamepad. The exception is third person action kinda games, sometimes I use one there.

cannedstingray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@randyf said:

In a game that requires me to aim, I will usually choose mouse and keyboard when given the option. It's just so much more precise. In a multiplayer game, I would think it would be a disadvantage if you were using a controller.

every forum thread I've ever seen about using a gamepad on pc for mp shooters, or just first person games in general on pc, has a variation of this response almost without exception as the first or second response. It never fails. Some people just prefer the game pad to kb/m for whatever reason, others like myself have medical reasons that inhibit the use of km/m proficiently. It seems to me that the amount of folks who would rather use a game pad for pc gaming has only grown in the 4 years that I've been paying attention to it.

Personally I can't wait to get ahold of that thing that Valve is making to see if I can finally start trying some of the games that don't really work for me now without some weird gamepad profile that does not work very well. Like Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2. I'm hoping that there will be a workable profile that finally feels right.

oysteinmoen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oysteinmoen

I've been using a gamepad, and I am actually doing pretty well, usually placing first or second. This game is extremely gamepad-friendly. I also think that while the aiming stuff is probably more precise and natural with m+k, the movement and parkour stuff seems to me like it would be more natural on a gamepad. That's just a guess though, I've yet to try m+k out.

Strathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Strathy

Mouse and keyboard. When shooters without auto-aim are concerned, pads effectively have a hard cap on aim speed and precision. A comparably skilled player with a tuned up mouse will allways snap the headshot first; allways. Additonally, mouse-look gives the player a much looser and faster ability to scan the peripheral environment while moving, which hugely improves the coefficient of deaths to unseen foes and kills on guys you happened to spot.

Get this though: I know a guy from the comp Battlefield scene who holds an X360 pad in his left hand for movement and equipment switching and a mouse in his right for aiming. Sounds nuts, but the guy did some serious business with that setup.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

360 controller, but i can tell sometimes it's just not quick enough against a mouse. But I don't really care, i just think the game is fun and if i couldn't play with a controller i wouldn't have even bought it tbh

MFJubes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can tell I'm more accurate with M+K, but I still prefer to play with a controller. I dunno what it is, man. Maybe I like the pull of the triggers; maybe I just like kickin' it on couches. Whatever I lose in accuracy, I gain in comfort.

I don't do quite as well, but Titanfall is designed in such a way that I don't particularly care how well I do, as long as there's always some sick shit going down.

sopachuco13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

@oursin_360 said:

360 controller, but i can tell sometimes it's just not quick enough against a mouse. But I don't really care, i just think the game is fun and if i couldn't play with a controller i wouldn't have even bought it tbh

I guess I've yet to have one of those matches where I think to myself, "Wow! I just got merc'd with a mouse and keyboard player. Battlefield 4, on the other hand, was quite the opposite.

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ChaosDent

I'm using a mouse and keyboard, it's what I'm comfortable with from playing CounterStrike, Team Fortress Classic and Unreal Tournament back in the day. I was not great at these games then and I'm not great at Titanfall now, but I'm having fun with it.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Tennmuerti

The thing is that in Titanfall the winning strategy (and even the optimal personal performance) does not revolve around being precise and quick at shooting.

Killing swathes of grunts at the start is the best way to get your Titan earlier then others. And no matter how easy people say Titans are to take down, they are still a huge force multiplier, which again don't require fast targeting speeds or minute precision of a mouse to do well. The team that can get a Titan ball rolling wins and massacres the other almost every time. A pilot still has to jump through hoops out of his ass to try and take down a Titan, that takes time, positioning and leaves you exposed, all a Titan has to do is send a rocket salvo vaguely in your general direction. And even if a pilot is hiding in a building from a Titan, guess what they are wasting seconds they could be getting kills and points. It's the same reasons why for example an instant titanfall card at match start guarantees complete domination and victory every time.

I personally play with M+K still, but getting into shootouts with people in close quarters where 2 players are ping ponging around a room with insane speeds is rarely a winning strategy (unless you're the guy who is always the best), in those situations ping and frame rate are the predominant winning factors anyway.

You can literally go something like 0-5 in Titanfall and still be the top scoring player.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Both.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I play solely with a gamepad and I consistently come out on top in the multiplayer matches. I keep seeing people say there's hell of aim assist in this game, but other than the smart pistol, I can't really tell there's any aim assist to speak of. I really feel like M/K people underestimate someone who's been using a controller their whole life. It also doesn't take pinpoint precision to be good in this game.

Avatar image for singingmenstrual
    SingingMenstrual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk said:

That's because the aim assist in PC Titanfall with a pad is SICK.

And that's why we all player shooters, of course - so the game artificially assists us in aiming at others. "Aiming at others" of course being the core and essence of a shooter.

I stopped playing racers and platformers because I feel like a caveman when I steer the cars with my fingers, or have to jump and grab ledges on my own. I need assistance because it makes the experience challenging and genuine, as opposed to it being all me doing the work.

/sarcasm overload.

shuref00t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By shuref00t

I'm playing with a 360 controller, and pretty much consistently coming in last. That has more to do with my proficiency with shooters in general than the controller itself.

For me it's easier to traverse the maps, pulling off wall runs & parkour moves with a controller, but obviously aiming is more accurate with m/kb. Might make the switch down the line.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KB+M for TitanFall. I still play with a controller from time to time in certain games but with competitive FPS games, I play with the KB+M most of the time.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By UlquioKani

I'm currently holding a 3.2K/D against players and a 74% win ratio and I'm using a controller. The game is more about positioning than reflexes so whichever options allows you to move around the easiest is best for you. The aim assist is like it is in a COD game so you can hold your own. The only issue I've found is sniping as people move around so fast. It's not a problem as sniping isn't very effective in this game.

iowcatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Titanfall 2 is out and I think the aim assist on the controllers is even more pronounced than on the original . It's done in a way where you can't really tell it is doing it but I do a hell of a lot better playing with the controller than with the mouse. It could be I can do all the movement stuff as second nature with the pad but I have to think about where the right button is going to be on the keyboard. I didn't really notice it until I played a bit of the campaign where you aim down the sights and it will just aim onto the target pretty much for you. This seems to work to some degree in multiplayer , at least against grunts. It does some times feel a bit too easy to track your enemies when shooting them with them the controller .

OooSpikEooO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By OooSpikEooO

Well, i play with m+k because im used to it and its a shooter on PC. Why the heck i should play a shooter on PC with a controller. Why even should i develop a game for PC and make it more comtroller friendly then for m+k? And thats the whole Problem with Titanfall2. If u take an avarage skilled m+k player and an avareage skilled controller player, controller wins. Just because of the fact, that u can adjust freaking everything due to reactions. With m+k u have two options. fast or slow, and this means if you just want to turn a little bit or if u want to turn around...its always fast or slow. Which is rly annoying. I play FPS for a really long time, but it was never ever so bad made fpr m+k and so well made for controller as in Titanfall2 or Apex Legends. I really hope they are going to change this, at least put in some more Options to adjust the mouse.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.