Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Titanfall

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Set in a far-flung, mech-filled future, Titanfall is the first first-person shooter built by Respawn Entertainment, the studio formed by ex-employees of Call of Duty developer Infinity Ward.

Wow, that IMC campaign is bad (Spoilers?)

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Yeah, I read the reviews, and I wasn't expecting much, but I was still curious how a campaign could be handled in online multiplayer. Having played the Militia first, I had an impression of the Titanfall campaign as being mediocre but serviceable. I didn't really care about the story, but it was fun to see the setpieces exploding and have the comm chatter in the background relating the progress of the mission. The fact that the mission sometimes succeeded despite my team's ineptitude was a minor annoyance. At least I got to feel like we had sacrificed for a cause.

I went into the IMC campaign expecting more of the same, when what I got was the complete opposite. How fucked is it to have a campaign based around losing every battle, regardless of your team's performance? It's a ridiculous premise.

Anyway, I left the campaign having several questions unanswered. While by all rights I should dismiss the campaign as the disinterested scribblings of an extremely tired dev team, I still have to know...

1) What exactly did the IMC do to cause the rebellion?

2) Why did the IMC randomly slaughter civilians on MacAllen's planet? If VA Greaves is supposed to be the good guy, why doesn't he try and stop Flisk? Is this standard IMC practice? Do they mine humans for food?

3) Who exactly is calling the shots for the IMC? Is it Spyglass or do they have some corporate board? Is the corporate board robots?

4) The reason I ask no. 3 is that Greaves tells Flisk that the battle is between humans and machines (and humans fighting only for a paycheck). This implies that the IMC is run entirely by machines which seems like kind of an important point for them to have skipped over.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

That whole campaign seems dumb.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Titanfall makes a great case for read a book if you want a good story.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CByrne

My thought was that IMC is a mining Corp that just became a PMC with the Hammond Industry robots that were invented for mining but became weaponized once local inhabitants got sick of IMC coming in and stripping their planet of resources and fought back hence the milita.

On earthsit's not Uncommon for mining companies to have mercenary security in places like south America because the locals aren't happy with the company ruining their ground water and roiting/protesting these companies by damaging their equipment. The government's don't care because the money is good and the mercenaries have a job. So being that it exists now, I wouldn't be shocked if it existed in space in the future.

Mr_croft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mr_croft

I feel it was just thrown together.... But I feel the unanswered questions is a good thing for a side book or something

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll add more context. I once was asked to visit an automotive suppliers factory in a country south of US but North of Panama. When I arrived at the airport I was picked up in an armored SUV with 2 chase cars. The guys in the car where not only packing pistols, but AK's. Then they gave me a lecture on what to do if stuff goes down. I'm a software person... this was really not something I was prepared for... Once we got to the factory, surrounded in prison grade razor wire and watch towers I found out from some of the workers that the company is allowed by the government to dumb the vulcanization? chemicals in the field out back, but that's causing health issues in the town. Occasionally there are riots and there once was a mortar attack... So there was video I had to watch about what the alarm and bell sounds mean. One was an aerial ordnance attack. This was a country that isn't at war with anyone... It was insane. The security company was basically made up of the same people that were against the company. Sometimes even forced to harass family members. Most of the workers at the factory hated the factory, but they had to work their to survive. So everyday they get patted down and searched before allowed in.

When I got back to the US and was talking to that companies contact, I kind of stated that I wasn't interested in their business or they need internal people to be trained and we contact them for software issues. The person had no idea that was going on at their factory or that there was a third party militaristic security firm there.

Where I am going with this is, that it's totally believable that a board of a company doesn't even know what local conflicts are going on against them. All the board wants is results and profits. Business never changes.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

but why exactly are blue team and red team fighting? Is it truly an armor-based race war, or is there something deeper driving them to kill each other?

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@cbyrne: That does sound like it could carry over pretty well to this setting. However, it doesn't explain what the robots have to do with anything.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Dumb is giving the campaign too much credit. Atrocious and unnecessary are more apt to me.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Dumb is giving the campaign too much credit. Atrocious and unnecessary are more apt to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.