Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tokyo Jungle

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jun 07, 2012

An action game set in post-apocalyptic Japan where the human race has inexplicably disappeared, leaving wild animals to reclaim the planet.

How in the world do you unlock the hippo? (Buffalo mission)

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SomeJerk
    Lions to the left, tigers to the right, here I am, stuck in the middle with you.
    Lions to the left, tigers to the right, here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

That's the best I've managed this far, one marking spot to go, ended up mating thrice before going in so I was kinda late. In all but a single try so far they've been in Yo Park West which is a helluva tight spot for a herd of angry hippos, I can take a few down on entering and maybe get a mark or two if lucky, and then I have to enter Yo Park East and lose a few of them, but when I get back in they're all there and waiting.

Once I had them spawn at Dogenza, another terrible spot for hippo charges, the streets were basically blocked off by a never ending herd of hippo, forget getting even one spot. So what do I do? Gamble the system and try to get a lucky D-Challenge district, because that one usually tells where the unlock species spawns? What district should I aim for? I've tried stealth and combat but these hippos are as lethal as their real life counterparts. I gotta get my ostrich on :(

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Fredchuckdave

In West you can use the roof and the little tunnel to screw with the AI a bit more, but ideally you'd have higher stamina or lots of jerky so you can outrun them. Had a similar time with Lions, 25 of them continually following me and I was slowly dying of age, but I did manage to barely get it.

All of the Large herbivore attacks come out really slow so its possible to mark even if they're relatively close to you, though it might not be possible to avoid damage.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SomeJerk

@Fredchuckdave said:

In West you can use the roof and the little tunnel to screw with the AI a bit more, but ideally you'd have higher stamina or lots of jerky so you can outrun them. Had a similar time with Lions, 25 of them continually following me and I was slowly dying of age, but I did manage to barely get it.

All of the Large herbivore attacks come out really slow so its possible to mark even if they're relatively close to you, though it might not be possible to avoid damage.

Had real bad luck with drops as a Buffalo, any idea if the chance goes up in Boss rank? I should get my two first generations done, farm up and hope for the best because this has been harder for me than any of the ten Story chapters I've gone through this far.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Only thing I've noticed with drops is that birds seem to drop them more often, but I'm assuming herbivores can't kill them. Yaminote Line West usually has about 4 packages near the entrance of Yoyogi Park (all along the railway line, usually next to lions).

Aside: I found a portable bed for the first time, must be an obscenely rare drop but lets you mate anywhere and doesn't leave any territory unconquerable for the next generation (one time use).

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SomeJerk

After a few more attempts they spawned in Yama Line West, had to rely other grazers getting hit by them and then keeping the hippos busy, and kite and stealth a bunch. Had all spots marked, ran towards a mate and a nest and the moment I fell down dead from poisoning it was like the game took pity on me and gave me the unlock.

Solution for this problem: Gamble up a better district for the target species to spawn in. Man what a rush.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Did this one on the first try in Yoyogi West, you can't get hippos to the stunned state but you can stealth kill them. Additionally any jerky is enough to outrun them, since its hippos there's only a handful of them compared to something like lions. If you do get caught in a charge stunlock you're probably screwed though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.