Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 22, 2012

Future Soldier is the first in Ubisoft's long-running Ghost Recon series of tactical shooters to take place in the near-future.

New Driver And Ghost Recon Delayed Again By Ubisoft

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson
    Ghost Recon: Future Soldier and Driver: San Francisco have been pushed back a second time, publisher Ubisoft has announced in some thrilling financial documents.

As Game Informer notes, these two titles were set to appear at some point during Ubisoft's 2010 and early 2011 release window. Now, both titles will see a release during the 2011 and 2012 window. Obviously no date specifics were given in the Ubisoft report, but there's pretty much no way you'll see either of these games until at least April 2011 since Ubisoft's fiscal year doesn't end until March 2011. 

Just think, once upon a time, Ghost Recon: Future Soldier was slated to hit about right now. 

No Caption Provided

During a recent earnings call, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot said that the Driver: San Francisco delay is all about polish. He explained (via Gamasutra) that it's "important to bring all the fine touches to the game so that it can become a good racing game that helps us to establish Ubisoft in the racing genre."

A similar response has been given about the Ghost Recon: Future Soldier delay. In an official forum post, Ubisoft senior community developer Kimi Matsuzaki said, "We are working to make the game the best it possibly can be and we're taking this extra time to do just that." 

The Future Soldier beta is still slated to happen, by the way. But now it'll happen much closer to the game's release date, Matsuzaki confirmed in the same forum post.
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson
    Ghost Recon: Future Soldier and Driver: San Francisco have been pushed back a second time, publisher Ubisoft has announced in some thrilling financial documents.

As Game Informer notes, these two titles were set to appear at some point during Ubisoft's 2010 and early 2011 release window. Now, both titles will see a release during the 2011 and 2012 window. Obviously no date specifics were given in the Ubisoft report, but there's pretty much no way you'll see either of these games until at least April 2011 since Ubisoft's fiscal year doesn't end until March 2011. 

Just think, once upon a time, Ghost Recon: Future Soldier was slated to hit about right now. 

No Caption Provided

During a recent earnings call, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot said that the Driver: San Francisco delay is all about polish. He explained (via Gamasutra) that it's "important to bring all the fine touches to the game so that it can become a good racing game that helps us to establish Ubisoft in the racing genre."

A similar response has been given about the Ghost Recon: Future Soldier delay. In an official forum post, Ubisoft senior community developer Kimi Matsuzaki said, "We are working to make the game the best it possibly can be and we're taking this extra time to do just that." 

The Future Soldier beta is still slated to happen, by the way. But now it'll happen much closer to the game's release date, Matsuzaki confirmed in the same forum post.
    Avatar image for deathmachine117
    Deathmachine117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Deathmachine117

Damn

KarlHungus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By KarlHungus

just think, once upon a time, Gran Turismo 5 was supposed to be out years ago.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By teh_destroyer

Driver, I remember that game, so awesome! I have a copy of it laying around here somewhere........

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Branthog

Probably a smart move. You don't really want to release "yet another" around the same time that COD:BO, BF2:BC:V, Killzone 3, GoW3, etc are coming out.

MediumDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By MediumDave

Damn.  Oh well.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By williamhenry

The amount of time it takes to make a game these days is just astounding.

s0ck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By s0ck

So will the Duke be out before these games?
    scotty_gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By scotty_gun

Maybe they will have time to make a skybox now. 

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By meteora

Seems fairly reasonable. There's too many good games or big blockbuster ones that are coming out next year. Might as well polish the hell up.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jambones

Still have the beta invite from my Conviction box for Future Soldier. Hope they don't forget about that.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TwoOneFive

that time frame is getting awfully crowded

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SomeJerk

A smart move. You need a helluva good polished game for me and so many others to consider buying into this DRM from hell that treats us legitimate customers as criminals.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I have nothing against Ghost Recon since I never played it but does anyone care about another Driver sequel ?  The first game was fun but I didn't care so much for the sequel and then the terrible reviews kept me away from all the PS2 ones.

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GeekDown

Driver looks like shit, but I was actually looking forward to Future Soldier. 

beomoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By beomoose

Dear Ubi, love ya and love the GR games but please please take some of this extra time to redesign those gun models. Multi-tool bayonets may sound great in a design meeting but they're pretty silly looking in execution.

Avatar image for vibratingdonkey
    vibratingdonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17  Edited By vibratingdonkey

I actually believe this Driver could end up alright. Some people think the shift mechanic is odd and will remove the thrill of the chase or some such. I propose that it'll add another layer to the gameplay that sounds like it could be pretty cool.

And the way to juice up your magical superpower is to drive like a maniac. So it encourages the type of driving that the game is supposed to be all about. Also, driving like a maniac is fun. Burnout has done this type of thing for a while, and it works pretty well.

Obviously it's a big focus of the game, and parts of the game are bound to require the use of it, but for the most part I'm sure sticking to one car throughout the chase is an entirely feasible option if that's your thing. I'm not too worried about this mechanic entirely replacing the Driver of old.

And if you remember, the first Driver was kind of difficult and frustrating. If you wreck in DrIVer you'll get a second chance. Kind of like rewinding in Dirt 2 and Forza 3. It invariably will lessen the tension knowing that you've got this safety net, but I'm ok with that trade-off.

The one concern I have is about balancing. Like, if you can take control of a car in front of the fugitive and ram it into them, how will that not always be the better strategy?

MJHAYLETT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MJHAYLETT

the next Developer who doesn't push their game back and in fact pushes it forward because they are so damn good at their jobs they made a polished game - I will buy regardless of the genre.

Maybe.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zityz

Oh good they're going to Polish DRIVER... 

That's like saying "Hey we're going to take this dog shit and polish it." In the end it's still dog shit, just looks shiny. 

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JerichoBlyth

Whoops - they forgot to make them.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By coaxmetal
    @MJHAYLETT said:

" the next Developer who doesn't push their game back and in fact pushes it forward because they are so damn good at their jobs they made a polished game - I will buy regardless of the genre.  Maybe. "

Not the same thing, but that reminded me of Valve's press release about the Portal 2 delay:

Also, the game will be even better,” they added, missing an historic opportunity to create the first product delay press release to mention that a product is being delayed to make it worse

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Don't care much for the Driver series but I was looking forward to Ghost Recon: Future Soldier. Here's hoping for a fully polished game come release date as this trend with games coming out in half finished states like Fallout: New Vegas and Black Ops is terrible.

Necrozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Necrozilla

No surprise for GR:FS as someone who followed SC: Conviction - a possible 2012 release is devestating.

tobygw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#24  Edited By tobygw

Meh have barely heard of these two anyways.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee02708d2a83
    deactivated-5ee02708d2a83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Do delays get scared by delays? If it comes out when Duke Nukem is supposed to come out, which one gets delayed again? Ah, the eternal question. I predict a press release. 

"Yeah, so Duke Nukem is gonna be released in about....uh...alright guys, I give up. There never was a new Duke Nukem. Sorry."

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MaddProdigy

Wow they better not try to drop it near the MW3 release date, it'll sell about three and half copies.

Pink_o_mat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Pink_o_mat

Smart move! Who would release a military shooter 2 weeks after COD?

Absolute_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By Absolute_Zero
    @Jambones said:

" Still have the beta invite from my Conviction box for Future Soldier. Hope they don't forget about that. "

Agreed. Conviction was a bit of a disappointing, but the promise of a beta made everything better (sort of).
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By pweidman

It's good if Recon is delayed to truly make the game better, but somehow I feel like it's really an underfunded game pubbed by a financially faltering company.  I really hope it's the former though.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jeffsekai

Just make GRAW 3.

Sykosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sykosis

being a game design major, at some point I understand that they want to make this game as good as they possibly can.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#32  Edited By gla55jAw

Where the hell is my new Rainbow Six game?

pubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By pubbles
    @KarlHungus said:
    " just think, once upon a time, Gran Turismo 5 was supposed to be out years ago. "
    Just think, Duke Nukem Forever could have been out over a decade ago... 
    ErEl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ErEl
    @teh_destroyer said:
    " Driver, I remember that game, so awesome! I have a copy of it laying around here somewhere........ "
    Have you found it yet?
    piropeople13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By piropeople13
    @somejerk said:
    " A smart move. You need a helluva good polished game for me and so many others to consider buying into this DRM from hell that treats us legitimate customers as criminals. "
    True that, and it better be 50 or less.  The DRM knocks at least 10 or 20 off the price tag as far as I am concerned for he extra hassle and bullshit.
    Turek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36  Edited By Turek

Delays - I love delays. :)
    imataqito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By imataqito

Too bad, I thought Future Soldier look pretty good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.