Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Mar 22, 2011

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars is a turn based strategy game with strong role-playing elements. It is one of the western-developed launch titles for the Nintendo 3DS.

Any good?

Alpha1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Alpha1

What are people's thoughts on this game? I've got my copy right next me but still waiting for my 3DS to be delivered, so I haven't played it yet. (Quite surprised this is the first forum post for this game)

Consaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Consaw

I just got it in the mail today and in the hour or so that i've played its really good. I think that its definitely the best 3DS launch title other than possibly SSF4. 

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Scrawnto

A game designer named Trent Polack tweeted "So far, Ghost Recon Shadow Wars is overly simple, but it does have some really rad unit movement rules and support fire mechanics."  He's generally pretty reliable, so I guess the game couldn't be all that bad. I'll probably get this, SSF4, or Steel Diver, depending on how they all review.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MrKlorox

It's the only 3DS game I own right now. I know it's sacrilege to not buy a Nintendo game when you buy a Nintendo platform, but I wasn't into a cheap Pilotwings rehash or another Nintendogs when I went to buy it. Also I was only gonna get one game, so SSF4 sounded like a bad idea since it would get old fast.

I'm not too far in to it, and it's pretty easy so far on the hardest difficulty, but I like it. I think this was the correct choice for me as far as the launch lineup is concerned. The 3D is totally unnecessary, but it's handy for determining terrain height by glancing. Couldn't care less about the story, however the action is fun. It reminds me of an Advance Wars where you control individual characters or a simplified Fallout 1&2 battle system.

As much as I hate Kotaku, it was Brian Crecente's impressions thing that convinced me right before I went to Walmart at midnight to get the thing.

My main complaint with the design is the fact that they went with square grids instead of hexes.

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Vrikk

It's the sleeper hit of the system's launch. If you are like me and don't want to buy a port of a console fighting game then this is a good one.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By ThunderSlash

The guy who made the X-COM games was involved with this game, so the game play has to be at least competent.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

It's a pretty solid turn-based strategy game and definitely one of the few launch games worth owning. If X-COM and Advance Wars had a baby, that child would be Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars. Squad management and the basic movement and attack mechanics are very reminiscent of X-COM, but the entire thing is wrapped up in a more streamlined and handheld friendly package.

If you ever played the previous game from X-COM designer Julian Gollop, Rebelstar: Tactical Command, you pretty much know what to expect here.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.