You almost had me.

Avatar image for boiglenoight
#1 Edited by Boiglenoight (605 posts) -

Watched the VGA trailer.

Disgruntled citizens moved to terrorism? I can see this happening. Targeting bankers and the financial elite that put this country and the world in jeopardy? Sounds cathartic! Dropping a hostage into a street full of ordinary citizens and setting off a bomb? You lost me.

Avatar image for dagbiker
#2 Posted by Dagbiker (7044 posts) -

Youve never played a real rainbow 6 game I take it.

Avatar image for brendan
#3 Posted by Brendan (9082 posts) -

So...are you just saying that you were into this game as far as you could sympathise with the actions of the antagonists? That's more than a little weird, but ok.

Avatar image for mooseymcman
#4 Posted by MooseyMcMan (12563 posts) -

You do realize that in the Rainbow Six games, the goal is to shoot the terrorists, not sympathize, right?

Avatar image for mikegosot
#5 Posted by MikeGosot (3237 posts) -

The bomb part was awesome. I never played a Rainbow 6 game(Only heard things about it...), so i don't know if you will play as the Bomb Guys or if i will shoot the Bomb Guys, but i don't care. If the game is as awesome as the trailer, i will buy it, and i will love it.

Avatar image for shagge
#6 Posted by ShaggE (8448 posts) -

I am absolutely baffled by this thread.

Avatar image for dagbiker
#7 Posted by Dagbiker (7044 posts) -
@ShaggE

I am absolutely baffled by this thread.

Whats to get the guy was ok when they where beating up bernie madoff, but when they blew up the random taxis it wasnt. And I totaly agree with him
Avatar image for boiglenoight
#8 Posted by Boiglenoight (605 posts) -

They just dropped a bomb on the very people they're fighting for--ordinary everyday people. If they were to drive this guy strapped with a bomb into an affluent neighborhood and then blow him up, that would make a lot more sense.

Avatar image for minipato
#9 Posted by MiniPato (2826 posts) -

They were making a metaphor. The rich dudes are killing us regular hard working dudes...Or I don't know.

I agree with you though. I don't see how killing the regular joe supports the message they are carrying.

Avatar image for djcmep
#10 Posted by DjCmeP (1238 posts) -

I hate it when terrorist bombings don't make sense..Oh wait.

Avatar image for fluxwavez
#11 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19836 posts) -

@Boiglenoight: I'm pretty sure that's how revolutionary/terrorist groups work a lot of the time: harming the very people they claim to be fighting for.

Avatar image for shagge
#12 Posted by ShaggE (8448 posts) -

It's not exactly unheard of for terrorists to sacrifice bystanders in order to make as big a splash as possible.

Avatar image for dochaus
#13 Posted by DocHaus (2401 posts) -

I'm guessing the prequel level where you indiscriminately fire pepper spray into a crowd of nonviolent protestors before wailing on them with a nightstick wouldn't have made for good TV.

Avatar image for afroman269
#14 Posted by Afroman269 (7440 posts) -

I wonder if the guy in the trailer was also about to get a birthday blowjob before getting kidnapped like the other guy in the first teaser trailer.

Avatar image for mazik765
#15 Posted by mazik765 (2372 posts) -

Maybe it's because 90% of terrorists are crazy people who use a 'cause' to justify their own inhumanity?

Avatar image for brodehouse
#16 Posted by Brodehouse (10827 posts) -

Those taxi drivers had it coming; have you seen what the average fare is like?

Avatar image for mikkaq
#17 Posted by MikkaQ (10296 posts) -

@Boiglenoight said:

They just dropped a bomb on the very people they're fighting for--ordinary everyday people. If they were to drive this guy strapped with a bomb into an affluent neighborhood and then blow him up, that would make a lot more sense.

Because no muslims died on 9/11? They just magically got away scot free apparently!

Avatar image for boiglenoight
#18 Posted by Boiglenoight (605 posts) -

Villains you can empathize with are much more interesting. Depicting everyday Americans who are reacting to being screwed over by the wealthy in this nonsensical way is a missed opportunity to key into the current debate about who's responsible for the economic recession, and the frustration many have about how so few have been brought to justice for fraudulent and destructive financial practices.

Avatar image for ramone
#19 Posted by Ramone (3080 posts) -

@Boiglenoight said:

They just dropped a bomb on the very people they're fighting for--ordinary everyday people. If they were to drive this guy strapped with a bomb into an affluent neighborhood and then blow him up, that would make a lot more sense.

Dude, terrorists are opportunistic scumbags who try to use current tensions (racial, religious, economic e.t.c) to justify their horrible actions. In other words they don't give a shit who they blow up.

Avatar image for boiglenoight
#20 Posted by Boiglenoight (605 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Boiglenoight: I'm pretty sure that's how revolutionary/terrorist groups work a lot of the time: harming the very people they claim to be fighting for.

Yeah, sometimes. A lot of times it's reported that way, but in actuality there are groups of people killing their neighbors over ideological / religious differences (e.g. Sunni / Shiite). They live together and the proximity of an attack might affect their own people, but it's largely meant for the opposite population. For instance, a market that many Sunnis frequent is blown up by Shiite extremists. For U.S. viewers, all we tend to hear on CNN or FOX News is "islamic extremists set off an explosion in an open market today in Iraq, killing 10 and injuring scores more." Or rather, some terrorists blew up a bomb, killing in innocent people.

Avatar image for boiglenoight
#21 Posted by Boiglenoight (605 posts) -

@Ramone said:

@Boiglenoight said:

They just dropped a bomb on the very people they're fighting for--ordinary everyday people. If they were to drive this guy strapped with a bomb into an affluent neighborhood and then blow him up, that would make a lot more sense.

Dude, terrorists are opportunistic scumbags who try to use current tensions (racial, religious, economic e.t.c) to justify their horrible actions. In other words they don't give a shit who they blow up.

George Washington was a terrorist in the minds of the British.

Avatar image for n7
#22 Posted by N7 (4159 posts) -

This trailer was as awesome as possible to sway you from the fact that you'll be shooting dudes nonstop and four hours later it's over.

Avatar image for mooseymcman
#23 Posted by MooseyMcMan (12563 posts) -

@Boiglenoight said:

@Ramone said:

@Boiglenoight said:

They just dropped a bomb on the very people they're fighting for--ordinary everyday people. If they were to drive this guy strapped with a bomb into an affluent neighborhood and then blow him up, that would make a lot more sense.

Dude, terrorists are opportunistic scumbags who try to use current tensions (racial, religious, economic e.t.c) to justify their horrible actions. In other words they don't give a shit who they blow up.

George Washington was a terrorist in the minds of the British.

I don't think the word terrorist had been coined yet at that time (I could be wrong though). And when I think of terrorists, I think of people who attack civilians. So far as I know, George Washington never did that. The whole point of terrorism is to strike, well, terror into people. Totally different from freedom fighters like G. Washington.

Avatar image for dagbiker
#24 Posted by Dagbiker (7044 posts) -

@DocHaus said:

I'm guessing the prequel level where you indiscriminately fire pepper spray into a crowd of nonviolent protestors before wailing on them with a nightstick wouldn't have made for good TV.

BOOM

Avatar image for commisar123
#25 Posted by Commisar123 (1955 posts) -

Well Rainbow Six is pretty cool, so I'll hold off on judging it

Avatar image for dagbiker
#26 Posted by Dagbiker (7044 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Boiglenoight said:

@Ramone said:

@Boiglenoight said:

They just dropped a bomb on the very people they're fighting for--ordinary everyday people. If they were to drive this guy strapped with a bomb into an affluent neighborhood and then blow him up, that would make a lot more sense.

Dude, terrorists are opportunistic scumbags who try to use current tensions (racial, religious, economic e.t.c) to justify their horrible actions. In other words they don't give a shit who they blow up.

George Washington was a terrorist in the minds of the British.

I don't think the word terrorist had been coined yet at that time (I could be wrong though). And when I think of terrorists, I think of people who attack civilians. So far as I know, George Washington never did that. The whole point of terrorism is to strike, well, terror into people. Totally different from freedom fighters like G. Washington.

No but he told his people to hide in the bushes and fire from prone positions, unlike the "honorable" British who marched one by one to their deaths. he was a gorilla fighter, a brute.

Avatar image for hailinel
#27 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -
@Dagbiker

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Boiglenoight said:

@Ramone said:

@Boiglenoight said:

They just dropped a bomb on the very people they're fighting for--ordinary everyday people. If they were to drive this guy strapped with a bomb into an affluent neighborhood and then blow him up, that would make a lot more sense.

Dude, terrorists are opportunistic scumbags who try to use current tensions (racial, religious, economic e.t.c) to justify their horrible actions. In other words they don't give a shit who they blow up.

George Washington was a terrorist in the minds of the British.

I don't think the word terrorist had been coined yet at that time (I could be wrong though). And when I think of terrorists, I think of people who attack civilians. So far as I know, George Washington never did that. The whole point of terrorism is to strike, well, terror into people. Totally different from freedom fighters like G. Washington.

No but he told his people to hide in the bushes and fire from prone positions, unlike the "honorable" British who marched one by one to their deaths. he was a gorilla fighter, a brute.

That's "guerilla." Also, Washington killed Hessians in their sleep on Christmas. Dude did not give a fuck about holidays.
Avatar image for juno500
#28 Posted by Juno500 (497 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

I don't think the word terrorist had been coined yet at that time (I could be wrong though). And when I think of terrorists, I think of people who attack civilians. So far as I know, George Washington never did that. The whole point of terrorism is to strike, well, terror into people. Totally different from freedom fighters like G. Washington.

One person's terrorist is another person's freedom fighter.

Avatar image for boiglenoight
#29 Posted by Boiglenoight (605 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Dagbiker

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Boiglenoight said:

@Ramone said:

@Boiglenoight said:

They just dropped a bomb on the very people they're fighting for--ordinary everyday people. If they were to drive this guy strapped with a bomb into an affluent neighborhood and then blow him up, that would make a lot more sense.

Dude, terrorists are opportunistic scumbags who try to use current tensions (racial, religious, economic e.t.c) to justify their horrible actions. In other words they don't give a shit who they blow up.

George Washington was a terrorist in the minds of the British.

I don't think the word terrorist had been coined yet at that time (I could be wrong though). And when I think of terrorists, I think of people who attack civilians. So far as I know, George Washington never did that. The whole point of terrorism is to strike, well, terror into people. Totally different from freedom fighters like G. Washington.

No but he told his people to hide in the bushes and fire from prone positions, unlike the "honorable" British who marched one by one to their deaths. he was a gorilla fighter, a brute.

That's "guerilla." Also, Washington killed Hessians in their sleep on Christmas. Dude did not give a fuck about holidays.

To be fair, they were Hessians. Case in point:

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for konanda
#30 Posted by Konanda (636 posts) -

@Boiglenoight said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Boiglenoight: I'm pretty sure that's how revolutionary/terrorist groups work a lot of the time: harming the very people they claim to be fighting for.

Yeah, sometimes. A lot of times it's reported that way, but in actuality there are groups of people killing their neighbors over ideological / religious differences (e.g. Sunni / Shiite). They live together and the proximity of an attack might affect their own people, but it's largely meant for the opposite population. For instance, a market that many Sunnis frequent is blown up by Shiite extremists. For U.S. viewers, all we tend to hear on CNN or FOX News is "islamic extremists set off an explosion in an open market today in Iraq, killing 10 and injuring scores more." Or rather, some terrorists blew up a bomb, killing in innocent people.

Perspective is a funny thing. Ernesto Che Guevara for instance was an Argentinian who committed mass murder in other countries of not only the bourgeoisie but any common people who disagreed with his ideologies such as homosexuals, pop musicians, (he considered both to be immoral) and news journalists who questioned his ideals (to name a few) were either killed or thrown in jail or both. Yet despite that and many other acts of great violence the man committed he's become the hero of ignorant angsty teenagers looking to rebel against their suburban parents by buying goods with that iconic image.

It's the definition of irony and must have the man turning in his grave knowing that the same financial elite he opposed are making millions off his face.

Nothing is black and white, it's all shades of grey and something tells me that like most revolutionaries these fictional ones are of the you are either for us or against us type. And a bunch of blown up cabs in the middle of a financial district sends that message quite clearly.

Avatar image for intro
#31 Posted by Intro (1271 posts) -

I thought it was cool.

Better than the Russians are attacking from all sides with nukes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.