Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Aug 20, 2013

The sixth installment of the Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell series and follows the events after Splinter Cell: Conviction.

How Good is this compared to Conviction?

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just started playing Conviction its my first Splinter Cell game and its amazing and the Deniable Op's is spectacular,I could play it for hours.Anyways I've seen some mixed reviews about fans who played this game some say its terrible and there's not much stealth anymore,and some say they loved it.I know everyone will have different a opinion,but how good is this game compared to Splinter Cell Conviction?

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

It's easily the best Splinter Cell to date simply because of the ridiculous amount of options it gives you. You play the game anyway you want. Either completely stealthy and non-lethal or completely loud and aggressive.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged said:

It's easily the best Splinter Cell to date simply because of the ridiculous amount of options it gives you. You play the game anyway you want. Either completely stealthy and non-lethal or completely loud and aggressive.

But does it have Deniable Ops?

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I found this game a little weaker than Conviction but it's still a decent game. The hardest difficulty is also also much easier than Conviction's hardest difficulty despite having no mark and execute. The online co-op stuff is mostly high quality but it does not last that long.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By flameboy298

@groin said:

I found this game a little weaker than Conviction but it's still a decent game. The hardest difficulty is also also much easier than Conviction's hardest difficulty despite having no mark and execute. The online co-op stuff is mostly high quality but it does not last that long.

Do you know if this is the last Splinter Cell game?

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flameboy298: I have no idea but this game did not meet Ubisoft's sales expectations.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Klei

Blacklist is a really great game. The best Splinter Cell to date, even if some nostalgic fans will argue that the title belongs to Chaos Thoery, the third game in the series. Blacklist is a much tighter game than Conviction, and allows you to progress any way you want. It is easier than Conviction, but in a good way. Conviction's levels were made for you to advance through them in a certain, linear way. Blacklist opens it up a lot more, allowing you to do things any way you want. Plus, it is a true stealth game, unlike Conviction's action-heavy scenes. It also has a lot of side-missions, which are playable solo or in co-op, plus they brought back its really great MP mode called Mercs. Vs Spies. No, it doesn't have Deniable Ops, but you should find your fill of co-op action with the 4E missions, which serves as the co-op/solo side-missions.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@deranged said:

Kinda. They rolled it into the main game as side missions, and I didn't find them nearly as replayable as Deniable Ops. However, they're still a lot of fun.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Even as someone who didn't dig it all that much, I still found it way way more enjoyable then Conviction.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't like conviction very much so this is...marginally better.

Probably the most forgettable game of 2013 for me.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even as someone who didn't dig it all that much, I still found it way way more enjoyable then Conviction.

What didn't you like about Conviction?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tennmuerti said:

What didn't you like about Conviction?

Not so much that I didn't like. Just that I found nothing really to like. I just found Conviction kind of unimpressive and uninteresting in every way.

Blacklist on the other hand has a sleek sense of style to the new Echelon. More freedom to do what you want. An interesting set of side challenge missions (when going for best results). Can make you feel pretty bad ass when pulling off a perfect run. At least a little bit of a developed villain. And upgrading your plane and gear is at least some kind of carrot on a stick progression, which is better then having nothing all.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it better but by the end of Conviction I was actively hating it and only finished it because I like the series so much.

Blacklist allows you to go back to the stealth approach that Conviction forgot and while its not as good as Chaos Theory and has by far the worst story and characters in the series I enjoyed the gameplay enough to offset all the negatives.

For someone who likes Conviction the "Panther" style as they call it should feel very familiar and there are enough high end weapons to go in full assault if you feel the urge to blow some shit up.

As for Deniable Ops, there isn't anything called that but there are side missions that can be played co-op or solo (theres one set thats only co-op) that range from "don't touch anyone" to a horde mode type where you face growing waves of enemies in a single relatively small location.

Side note: they could not have shit the bed on Sam any more if they tried, he sounds like a generic CoD or BF character. Michael Ironside is sorely missed.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tries too hard to make all different playstyles viable and ends up feeling without focus and direction.

People didn't like conviction because it didn't have that classic splinter cell gameplay but atleast it felt like it had a proper direction with the panther stuff which it executed near perfectly.

Blacklist tried to do every different playstyle which ended up making all the options feeling a little halfassed. Make a really awesome stealth game like Chaos Theory or make a really awesome action game like Conviction

cav86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By cav86

This is my game of 2013, I loved everything about this game. The campaign, the co-op, the multiplayer are all top notch, my only gripe with this game is that I wish it has a few more multiplayer maps. I was hoping for some DLC maps but I haven't heard any news out there, the coverage on this game went dark and apparently it didn't sell very well which is a shame.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Klei

@pie said:

Tries too hard to make all different playstyles viable and ends up feeling without focus and direction.

People didn't like conviction because it didn't have that classic splinter cell gameplay but atleast it felt like it had a proper direction with the panther stuff which it executed near perfectly.

Blacklist tried to do every different playstyle which ended up making all the options feeling a little halfassed. Make a really awesome stealth game like Chaos Theory or make a really awesome action game like Conviction

Ghosting in Blacklist isn't half-assed, it's just as badass as in Chaos Theory. You just have a more acrobatic Sam who doesn't (sadly) bother with humorous interrogations.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@shagge said:

@flameboy298 said:

@deranged said:

Kinda. They rolled it into the main game as side missions, and I didn't find them nearly as replayable as Deniable Ops. However, they're still a lot of fun.

This but the multiplayer definitely compensates for the distinct lack of variety in terms of co-op modes.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blacklist is, in my opinion, the true sequel to Chaos Theory. It's a fantastic game, and definitely an improvement on what they were trying to go for in Conviction with the different playstyles.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I didn't really care for Conviction, or any of the previous Splinter Cells I had played. I thought Blacklist was one of the best games released last year.

TeamJersey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think Blacklist is supremely entertaining. It has great single player and the co op is also great fun. There is a ton of content here.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got it free with my GTX660 SC when it was still on pre-order and as soon as it launched it was installed and being played. Very fun game. one of the few shooters that I have played in the last couple years that I can say is actually very very fun. And I am talking single player. Multi is pretty good too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.