Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 13, 2010

Splinter Cell: Conviction is the fifth installment in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell franchise. Sam Fisher breaks apart from the Third Echelon in order to find the people responsible for the death of his daughter, only to find that not everything is what it seems.

SCC will get DOCKED 2 full points for Black&White. Dev,AMCRY!!!

EliteShadowDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By EliteShadowDog

I like SCC all but the god awful black&white feature. I can be ok with no body dragging and no non lethel take downs. But I will flat out say that I think the person on the dev, team that drove this game to far into production that had everyone conviced to do a black&white feature is going to be fired.

I honestly think SSC is going to get docked close to 2 full points from game site reviewers just because of this. I say this becuase what this feature does is make the game look bad I mean real bad UGLY!!! Splinter Cell has always been about great graphics and lighting. And SSC looks to have some of this problme being you cant see it when you want becuase your always going into some bad terrible looking grey fade of black&white.

Sad thing is you really do not even need this. You can pretty much tell when your out of site anyway. This feature could go down as one of the worst design choice in a game franchise history from what other wise is a good game.

Ecinsiefil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ecinsiefil

So IGN will give it a 9.1 instead of a 9.3? Interesting.

Atlantus_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Atlantus_Air

I respectfully disagree. I'm glad my only option is to kill, and the Black and White gives me a clearer vision if I'm seen or not. Dragging bodies slowed down the pace ridiculously. And the game definitely does need a higher anti-aliasing filter. I do see where you coming from though.

EliteShadowDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EliteShadowDog
    @Atlantus_Air said:
    " I respectfully disagree. I'm glad my only option is to kill, and the Black and White gives me a clearer vision if I'm seen or not. Dragging bodies slowed down the pace ridiculously. And the game definitely does need a higher anti-aliasing filter. I do see where you coming from though. "
    Yeah dragging bodies and stuff is no big deal to me. What I'm saying is Splinter Cell games have always been great in graphics. The Black&White thing really brings this down and I find myself just wanting to run out of cover just to get the colors and graphics back.
    canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By canucks23

I found the black and white kinda distracting at first, but i got over it. The graphics aren't amazing with color anyways. I don't really care for the black and white, but it's not like it's going to ruin my experience.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By PerryVandell

I would like to know the mathmatical equation this person used to determine how having a black and white feature (which I personally think is pretty fucking cool) makes the score go down exactly 2 points.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Drebin_893

This is embarrassing.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Icil
    @EliteShadowDog said:
    "... no body dragging and no non lethel take downs ..."
    Jesus, I didn't know these were absent. They really neutered stealth in this game.

I agree with the B&W comment. I try to spend as much time as I can in the darkness, so I'm kind of forced to have a shittier graphics experience when I play because of that.
    Atlantus_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Atlantus_Air
    @EliteShadowDog said:
    " @Atlantus_Air said:
    " I respectfully disagree. I'm glad my only option is to kill, and the Black and White gives me a clearer vision if I'm seen or not. Dragging bodies slowed down the pace ridiculously. And the game definitely does need a higher anti-aliasing filter. I do see where you coming from though. "
    Yeah dragging bodies and stuff is no big deal to me. What I'm saying is Splinter Cell games have always been great in graphics. The Black&White thing really brings this down and I find myself just wanting to run out of cover just to get the colors and graphics back. "
    Hmmm, I think the Black & White thing is OK. I wouldn't detract 2 points but I will agree with you it makes it look worse.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By iamjohn

Cool story bro.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By Ineedaname

Bah, I was really hoping you were going to score it high aswell.

I won't buy it now.

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bionicicide
    @EliteShadowDog: 
    The gray-scale mechanic was the deal breaker for me. After 5 runs, I got used to the non-traditional strafing, reloading, and 2 buttons dedicated for cheat kills (AKA mark and execute)... but not the gray-scale. 

Such a shame too, one of this generation's graphical highlights when in color (excluding cutscenes).
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

All the other games, you were mostly seeing black or green.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bicycleham

You're getting pissed about this now?

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Nictel

I saw this on the frontpage and didn't think of conviction on reading SCC... I thought Black&White was about the game B&W.... That game obviously has left scars... Damn you Peter Molyneux, Damn you.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By cstrang

The day a video game reviewer docks a game two full points for a stylistic graphical choice is the day I choose to never take that reviewer seriously ever again.

When will people learn:  Graphics don't mean a goddamn thing compared to good gameplay.  Or even story.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jimbo
    @Nictel said:
    " I saw this on the frontpage and didn't think of conviction on reading SCC... I thought Black&White was about the game B&W.... That game obviously has left scars... Damn you Peter Molyneux, Damn you. "
    *Tickles Nictel's belly... before cuffing him upside the head*

How are they not making a new B&W game for Natal?  It's perfect.
    Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bionicicide
    @ThePhantomnaut said:
    " All the other games, you were mostly seeing black or green. "
    But they fixed that so you don't need a nightvision filter to see in the shadows, see: beginning/outside of EMP building level in demo.

Pretty artsy fartsy if you ask me.
    sgt1shot1kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sgt1shot1kill

Am i the only one that always had to use night vision the entire time because the game was too damn dark? You basically had to play the whole thing in black in white, which always made me mad because the games always looked so good. Personally i think the new system is better, and i rather have bits of black in white instead of having to play the whole game that way.

EliteShadowDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EliteShadowDog

WOW interesting interview. First the good part they confirm that the realistic setting will be harder in the full game then it was in the demo. Then is is what really pissed me off he says he admits that they really wanted to put in dragging bodies but could not because they ran out of time

That is bad he admits that the game basicly is not what he wanted and knows we wanted it> WTF?
     http://www.gametrailers.com/video/launch-party-splinter-cell/64093

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#21  Edited By Hailinel
    @Jimbo said:
    " @Nictel said:
    " I saw this on the frontpage and didn't think of conviction on reading SCC... I thought Black&White was about the game B&W.... That game obviously has left scars... Damn you Peter Molyneux, Damn you. "
    *Tickles Nictel's belly... before cuffing him upside the head*  How are they not making a new B&W game for Natal?  It's perfect. "
    God, my arm would go dead from beating the shit out of my tiger dude for failing to follow every single command I ever gave it.
    BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By BigBoss1911
    @EliteShadowDog said:
    " WOW interesting interview. First the good part they confirm that the realistic setting will be harder in the full game then it was in the demo. Then is is what really pissed me off he says he admits that they really wanted to put in dragging bodies but could not because they ran out of time  That is bad he admits that the game basicly is not what he wanted and knows we wanted it> WTF?  http://www.gametrailers.com/video/launch-party-splinter-cell/64093 "
    You cant even drag bodies around anymore? Ubisoft you disappoint me.
    foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By foggel
    @Icil said:
    " @EliteShadowDog said:
    "... no body dragging and no non lethel take downs ..."
    Jesus, I didn't know these were absent. They really neutered stealth in this game.  "
    Wow, uh... 50% hype loss. I was hoping it was just the demo.
    Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bionicicide

Funny how Assassins Creed II has body dragging, but this doesn't. I mean sure it was slow in previous, but just like everything else with the new Sam, animate dragging to be faster.

snoopdye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By snoopdye
    @ThePhantomnaut said:
    " All the other games, you were mostly seeing black or green. "
    Agreed.
    DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#26  Edited By DJJoeJoe

Too many people are delusional about how fun dragging dead bodies around really is. If you want it bad enough there is a perfectly good game already out that will let you drag those bodies around to your hearts content, Chaos Theory.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.