Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 13, 2010

Splinter Cell: Conviction is the fifth installment in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell franchise. Sam Fisher breaks apart from the Third Echelon in order to find the people responsible for the death of his daughter, only to find that not everything is what it seems.

Thoughts on Splinter Cell: Conviction so far...

kakanoucia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Edited By kakanoucia

Well guys I know there are people very disappointed with this game, but I am absolutely loving it.  I liked the other Splinter Cell games and coming into this I knew I was gonna experience a whole different game.  Sure I do miss some of the old moves Sam could so (splits between walls anyone?) but playing this game feels like I am in my own version of Taken (loved that movie) or the Bourne Trilogy (never tried the game but this obviously seems much better than that). 
    kakanoucia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By kakanoucia

Well guys I know there are people very disappointed with this game, but I am absolutely loving it.  I liked the other Splinter Cell games and coming into this I knew I was gonna experience a whole different game.  Sure I do miss some of the old moves Sam could so (splits between walls anyone?) but playing this game feels like I am in my own version of Taken (loved that movie) or the Bourne Trilogy (never tried the game but this obviously seems much better than that). 
    Astalder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Astalder

It feels better in some ways, and worse in others.  The movement, shooting, etc feels good.  Some of the things they took out don't seem justified though, I'm not a fan of Sonar Goggles instead of Night Vision goggles, it's way more punishing trying to see in the dark than it should be (the black and white actually makes it easier to accidentally walk into the light).  Insta-fail missions and traps, also a big negative.  Also there are a lot of noticeably linear points where the choices are play Rainbow Six, or shoot out 4-8 lights and call that stealth.  Chaos Theory was and will definitely be remaining my favorite, Conviction is competent (I'd give it an 8/10) and definitely better than Double Agent, but in their quest to make the game more accessible they forgot some of the lessons learned in previous Splinter Cells and left a few too many things out.  Night vision goggles, for example, != inaccessible.  Vents != inaccessible.  Disarming traps instead of battling the difficulty of seeing through sonar goggles != inaccessible.

In short, making the game more accessible is fine, hell I'm getting impatient in my old age anyways (lol 27), but mistakes in gameplay changes shouldn't be automatically granted a pass under the guise of accessibility.

kakanoucia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kakanoucia
    @Astalder:
    I agree the change was pretty big, and yes chaos theory was GREAT, I remember having great co-op moments with my brother in that game.  The co-op in conviction was good but it just didn't have that same charm.  I could understand the singleplayer campaign having to depend on mark and execute because of Sam Fisher's current personality, but with Archer and Kestrel they should've kept classic Splinter Cell gameplay in that.  I understand it might've taken longer to make the game but come on for a game that was delayed so much, it's got enough glitches, slow-downs (during my playthrough in co-op), 2 VERY short campaigns and horde-mode style multiplayer.  I thought the gameplay was great, it wasn't like other splinter cell games I agree a lot of things were missing but with double agent the series did feel like it needed to change.  MGS3 from MGS2 was a pretty big change, but still kept that Metal Gear charm in the gameplay, and yes a ton of cutscenes...Splinter Cell Conviction made the change but kept a lot of things out.  That's why my review was a 3.5/5 and not a 4, definately not 5.  The game was great, campaign and co-op were very satisfying, deniable ops was ok, but it just didn't feel like a full package worth the $60, and was probably completely unrecognizable as a Splinter Cell game to most Splinter Cell fans.  It was definately a great stealth-action game and people who are unsure should give this a try as a rental for sure.
    tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By tactis

I just beat the SP campaign I really loved it, thought it was very well done, I am about to play some co-op when my friend comes I never played any Splinter Cell games before because I usually dont like stealth games that much but I thought this one looked more my style and I was right.

ProjektGill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By ProjektGill

I think I got a headache while playing through the one part where you have to  (not really a spoiler) navigate all the invisible lasers by using the sonar googles.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By project343

Absolutely adore it. 

My problem with the criticisms made? Across the board, critics are arguing that stealth is unnecessary, and 'shooting dudes in the face' (to paraphrase Jeff) is the easiest option. With this, gadgets are apparently useless. I, personally, use gadgets very frequently (with both the EMP grenade and proximity mines being my favourite). Moreover, there's a satisfaction that comes with the stealth that you don't get with a gun. Shooting guys in the head is the equivalent to choosing the easiest option on a JRPG , and mashing X.  

The stealth is optional. And to those who argue that there is a lack of punishment for aggressive action  [Joystiq], they seem to ignore the fact that Hunter and Infiltration (in my opinion, the two best game modes) both punish players for going in guns-blazing.

kakanoucia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kakanoucia
    @project343:
    Yes I agree I found myself using the sticky cam and the EMP a lot.  I played it through with some parts stealth and some action, it was a stealth-action game after all.  The last-known position also gave an interesting new way of flanking enemies each time I was detected.  It felt like I was some lethal badass (much like batman in Batman Arkham Asyllum.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.