Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's The Division 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 15, 2019

An online-only open-world shooter-RPG sequel to The Division.

Torn between this and Destiny 2: Forsaken

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Junkerman

So long story short: Not much time to game these days, kids, job, family... I'm looking for something I can mindlessly excel at in the hour or two I get to myself a night.

I wanted to enjoy Div1 but at Launch it just had some things that turned me off and I fell off pretty quick.

Destiny 2 is legit lots of fun to play... but god damn if those guys don't piss me off by charging me ANOTHER 80 bucks to play the game I want to play a year, 2 years later...

Sounds like Div2 is the first time someone has made one of these games the right way out of the gate.

I'm not super into loot grinds, its enjoyable but I don't live for it, I guess I'm wondering if the moment to moment gameplay for Div2 is actually fun enough to compete with Destiny?

Varitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I played Destiny 1, 2, Forsaken (got bored and haven't finished this one though), Division 1, currently playing Division 2. Kinda... not sure what answer you're expecting to get asking that comparison in Division 2 forum, but go with Division 2. In here you can do

• Main missions
    • Side missions
    • Glorious outposts capturing
    • Hunting for caches
    • Helping settlements to improve
    • Probably something else after getting to level 30, but I'm not there yet
    • PvP in dark zone
    • PvP more classic way

So plenty of activities in an hour or more.

Destiny looks good, plays smooth, but kinda mostly meh imo. This forsaken is probably the last destiny I've bought.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fair point!

I guess I’m worried the gameplay will get boring, even though the systems in place seem the best out there- I’ve seen a bunch of quick looks and everyone seems really excited about it - but what I’m seeing just seems like a very horizontal cover based shooter without a lot of spectacle or action set pieces.

So I guess I’m wondering if that’s in there too and people just aren’t showing it.

Cool levels, exploration, suspenseful encounters etc..

Most of what I’ve seen in all the coverage is just people in the streets ducking for cover behind cars or parkades.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean the encounters are fantastic. It's the Halo model of a really well crafted arena and a smart AI to fight against. I've seen cool set pieces in the form of particularly clever room layouts but it's not particularly big on spectacle.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So long story short: Not much time to game these days, kids, job, family... I'm looking for something I can mindlessly excel at in the hour or two I get to myself a night.

I wanted to enjoy Div1 but at Launch it just had some things that turned me off and I fell off pretty quick.

Destiny 2 is legit lots of fun to play... but god damn if those guys don't piss me off by charging me ANOTHER 80 bucks to play the game I want to play a year, 2 years later...

Sounds like Div2 is the first time someone has made one of these games the right way out of the gate.

I'm not super into loot grinds, its enjoyable but I don't live for it, I guess I'm wondering if the moment to moment gameplay for Div2 is actually fun enough to compete with Destiny?

You do realize that they're continuing to work on the game and need to make a living, right?

Varitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished enemy faction HQ. After doing that some other maaaaassive system unlocked. So I'd say if u go 1 hour per day - this game will keep you going for a while.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Junkerman

@nnickers: I totally accept that - and happily support it if the quality is there - but I don't think I'm alone in feeling taken advantage of regarding Bungie's value proposition for Destiny. RE: The pretty much unanimous criticism the series has faced since Launch.

@efesell Yeah that's really cool to hear! I've seen a lot of praise regarding the AI and how aggressive they can be, that has me totally interested.

deckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I much prefer Division 2 to Destiny 2 - more activity variety, better for soloing, better exploration, etc.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By Hestilllives19

Personally I think the 2 are hard to compare, they are very different looter games. But from a strickly gameplay perspective, both Anthem and Destiny 2: Forsaken are far superior to Division 2 imo, from a moment to moment outlook. But Anthem suffers from a myriad of issues, most notably just not being a very rewarding loot game, and not including the fact that all of the game outside of it's gameplay is rather bad. Destiny 2 on the other just honestly might be too big of a game to really take in an hour or so each day solo. It's a game best played a bit obsessively and with a group, so you won't be getting the full scope of what it has to offer the way you will likely be playing. But at the same time, you will also likely be able to play it rather religiously and never run out of stuff to do. Personally, Destiny 2 is wearing a bit thin for me mostly due to the new 50 Power Grind and not just a ton of new content in Season of the Drifter to justify doing the same Activities I've been doing since September 90% of the time, but I've also put in like 600 hours since September, so my issues probably aren't the same as most. Owning Forsaken + Annual Pass is a massive amount of game for people who haven't played it at all. Division 2 on the other hand has tons of incredible systems supporting it's gameplay, world is great and feels alive (the 3rd Stronghold I did last night was one of my favorite missions in gaming in awhile, probably since Forsaken's Shattered Throne), and can more easily be taken in as a solo player. But until they add a World Tier 5 and the Raid (both are coming, just not immediately), there just isn't as much group Activities to do with friends as something like Destiny 2: Forsaken. It's also just a 3rd person cover shooter with rather weak abilities (far inferior to that of Division) that often makes the gameplay feel a bit boring. That's not to say there isn't a ton to love about Division 2, there is, and I'm having a blast playing through it right now, but I can't see myself sticking around it for more than the next couple weeks until they add more content. If I was you, I'd probably lean Division 2 mainly due to the easier solo game aspect, but it's hard to say exactly what you are looking for. Both Division 2 and Destiny 2 have really solid communities here at Giant Bomb supporting and talking about the games on Discord (Division/Destiny) so if you ever do plan to talk about, learn about, or group up with other duders to play either, I highly recommend checking those out. I hope this helped.

Sidenote: All of the updates to Division 2 are coming for free, so if cost is part of your consideration, that's definitely a worthy thing to keep in mind. Destiny 2's Annual Pass, which I highly recommend mostly due to the new 640 bounties that let you skip probably 2 months of grinding, has gone on sale as well as Forsaken several times, so it's likely you could end up picking it up for about $40 rather than the $75 generic asking price (Forsaken + Annual). Forsaken also includes Warmind and Curse of Osiris for free if you didn't play those DLC's. But it's very likely in September there will be another $40 content drop. Good if you are like me and enjoy the new content Destiny offers, probably bad if you are in the camp that thinks they overcharge players for DLC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.