Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tomb Raider

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 05, 2013

A young and inexperienced Lara Croft is shipwrecked on a mysterious island in this reboot of the beloved action adventure franchise, which departs from the mood of prior games in the series.

Job Listing Suggests Multiplayer Coming To Tomb Raider

• 67 results
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

The latest Tomb Raider reboot might just have more than a new Lara, new moves and mechanics, and a new origin story to share. A Crystal Dynamics job listing suggests that the studio is planning to add some sort of online component to the game, which would make Tomb Raider the first title in the core franchise to support multiplayer.

No Caption Provided

Here's the boilerplate from the producer listing that was once available over at Gamasutra. It mentions that Crystal D is looking for a dude or dudette with "demonstrable project experience" to handle a "production role" in the multiplayer portion of an upcoming "action-adventure title." The assumption here is that it's Tomb Raider that ad is referring to.

"Crystal Dynamics is looking for a talented, enthusiastic, and highly organized individual with demonstrable project management experience to take on a major production role in the multi-player part of an upcoming action adventure title. For this role, we are looking for an individual with outstanding communication skills and a proven track record in production, having successfully produced or managed a team designing multi-player parts of an AAA title."

== TEASER ==As Destructoid notes, this is pure speculation on our part. Crystal D could be, after all, just looking for people to implement multiplayer into another, unannounced action-adventure game it's working on. We're biting on this speculation, though, because it seems unlikely that Crystal D has two games this far along in the development process.

It's obviously unknown what kind of multiplayer this could be. In the Lara Croft downloadable, Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light, Lara partnered up with Totec to solve various co-op-focused puzzles. As MTV notes, co-op seems to be the safest guess, as Tomb Raider "Odd Ball" or "Infection" competitive game types seem pretty silly. But, hey, we don't know anything for sure.

Tomb Raider is set for a 2011 release on the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC.
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

The latest Tomb Raider reboot might just have more than a new Lara, new moves and mechanics, and a new origin story to share. A Crystal Dynamics job listing suggests that the studio is planning to add some sort of online component to the game, which would make Tomb Raider the first title in the core franchise to support multiplayer.

No Caption Provided

Here's the boilerplate from the producer listing that was once available over at Gamasutra. It mentions that Crystal D is looking for a dude or dudette with "demonstrable project experience" to handle a "production role" in the multiplayer portion of an upcoming "action-adventure title." The assumption here is that it's Tomb Raider that ad is referring to.

"Crystal Dynamics is looking for a talented, enthusiastic, and highly organized individual with demonstrable project management experience to take on a major production role in the multi-player part of an upcoming action adventure title. For this role, we are looking for an individual with outstanding communication skills and a proven track record in production, having successfully produced or managed a team designing multi-player parts of an AAA title."

== TEASER ==As Destructoid notes, this is pure speculation on our part. Crystal D could be, after all, just looking for people to implement multiplayer into another, unannounced action-adventure game it's working on. We're biting on this speculation, though, because it seems unlikely that Crystal D has two games this far along in the development process.

It's obviously unknown what kind of multiplayer this could be. In the Lara Croft downloadable, Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light, Lara partnered up with Totec to solve various co-op-focused puzzles. As MTV notes, co-op seems to be the safest guess, as Tomb Raider "Odd Ball" or "Infection" competitive game types seem pretty silly. But, hey, we don't know anything for sure.

Tomb Raider is set for a 2011 release on the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC.
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By raiz265

multiplayer boobs \o/

Condor120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Condor120

sounds like a party

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, Dirty Lara? Have they rebooted the series so many times that they ran out of ideas how to reboot it? Not even Sonic has rebooted that much.

VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By VooDooPC
    @Video_Game_King said:
    " Wait, Dirty Lara? Have they rebooted the series so many times that they ran out of ideas how to reboot it? Not even Sonic has rebooted that much. "
    It's gritty Lara, not rich Lara.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By JJWeatherman

I'd bet this turns out to be true. Multiplayer is practically required these days.    

Sykosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sykosis

I'm kinda more excited about the fact that Crystal D is hiring.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Vorbis

Brutal deaths, the survival theme and a non-back breaking rack has me actually interested in a TR for the first time in years, don't mess it up by adding a forced multiplayer aspect that people will forget about a week after release,

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Crono
    @VooDooPC said:

" @Video_Game_King said:

" Wait, Dirty Lara? Have they rebooted the series so many times that they ran out of ideas how to reboot it? Not even Sonic has rebooted that much. "
    It's gritty Lara, not rich Lara. "
    Actually it's coprophilia Lara.
    Cazamalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Cazamalos

why they just don't hire naughty dog

digital_sin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By digital_sin

Sounds like really bad news.I really wish they would focus on the single player, you know, the Tomb Raidery aspect.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By PhatSeeJay

I wouldn't mind a reboot that leads to an encounter with a certain Drake in the sequel.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By prestonhedges

"this is pure speculation on our part" ... "we don't know anything for sure."

Cool story bro.

Downsize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Downsize

Hopefully it's coop.  Last thing I wanna see is a bunch of Lara's running around throwing spears at each other.

xXwindoverXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By xXwindoverXx

If they make it like Uncharted 2's multiplayer, then I will listen

CommanderZx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CommanderZx2

Lara Croft Guardian of light has multiplayer

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FunExplosions
    @raiz265 said:
    " multiplayer boobs \o/ "
    o/
    PaulRevere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PaulRevere

Multiplayer seems unnatural for Tomb Raider.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Winternet
    @FunExplosions said:
    " @raiz265 said:
    o/ "
    o/o
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By raiz265
    @Winternet said:
    " @FunExplosions said:
    " @raiz265 said:
    o/ "
    o/o "

?
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FunExplosions
    @raiz265 said:
    " @Winternet said:
    " @FunExplosions said:
    " @raiz265 said:
    o/ "
    o/o "
    %  ? "
    I think Winternet was trying to say that he tried to intercept the high five, but instead missed my hand, so my arm came down on his head. 

I'm pretty sure that's what's happening right here.
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By raiz265
    @FunExplosions said:
    " @raiz265 said:
    " @Winternet said:
    " @FunExplosions said:
    " @raiz265 said:
    o/ "
    o/o "
    %  ? "
    I think Winternet was trying to say that he tried to intercept the high five, but instead missed my hand, so my arm came down on his head.  I'm pretty sure that's what's happening right here. "
    Now that makes perfect sense!
    Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Omb Raider.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Winternet
    @raiz265 said:
    " @FunExplosions said:
    " @raiz265 said:
    " @Winternet said:
    " @FunExplosions said:
    " @raiz265 said:
    o/ "
    o/o "
    %  ? "
    I think Winternet was trying to say that he tried to intercept the high five, but instead missed my hand, so my arm came down on his head.  I'm pretty sure that's what's happening right here. "
    Now that makes perfect sense! "
    o|o  

Clearly.
    Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

#26  Edited By Spiritof
    @Winternet said:
    " @raiz265 said:
    " @FunExplosions said:
    " @raiz265 said:
    " @Winternet said:
    " @FunExplosions said:
    " @raiz265 said:
    o/ "
    o/o "
    %  ? "
    o|o   Clearly. "
    ~o~
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By jakob187

Yeah, any form of competitive multiplayer would seem pretty silly.  Doesn't it, Uncharted 2's own Nathan Drake?

SOUNDS FUCKING STUPID!
     SOUNDS FUCKING STUPID!
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By benjaebe
    @Video_Game_King said:
    Crystal D hasn't really rebooted the series more than once, and that was when they first got it. Legend was a reboot because Angel of Darkness sucked and was Core's failed "reboot" of the series, Anniversary was an homage and remake of the first game and Underworld was a sequel to Legend. Guardian of Light was a spin-off game.

I kind of hope they focus on the single player portion of the game. The multiplayer position they're hiring for could very easily be another GoL-like title, though in my dreams it would be another Legacy of Kain game.
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @benjaebe: 

But that still makes, like, three reboots of the same franchise, four if you count the fact that people liked that spin-off isometric thing. Maybe that's a sign that Tomb Raider should just die gracefully?
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Video_Game_King said:
    " @benjaebe:   But that still makes, like, three reboots of the same franchise, four if you count the fact that people liked that spin-off isometric thing. Maybe that's a sign that Tomb Raider should just die gracefully? "
    The only real reboot has been Legend.  Angel of Darkness tried to take the series in a new direction, but it still continued the original story.  If you want to get really technically, Legend wasn't really even a reboot, it was a direct sequel to the original game, ignoring everything that came after that. 

Guardian of Light (the isometric download title) was a spin-off, but still part of the Legend series.
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @WinterSnowblind: 

I'm still counting it as three or four reboots:

• The PS2 game nobody liked.
    • The remake or sequel or whatever, it may have been two different games.
    • The spin-off that people oddly liked.
    • This one. Hell, it even uses the "only use the series title to make everybody forget just how crap the previous stuff was" technique that Sonic first used, maybe.
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Video_Game_King: I don't think it's fair to apply the logic of "that was a reboot, because I say so".  Angel of Darkness was a terrible game, and it did try to reinvent the series, but it didn't reboot anything.  Legend was the first (and only reboot) and was made when Crystal Dynamics took over the series.  Like I said, it was actually a direct sequel to the original game and just ignored all the sequels that gradually got worse and worse.  The spin-off told a completely separate story and wasn't supposed to fit anywhere into the timeline, it was actually really good and will likely continue independently from the main series.  Hence why they dropped the Tomb Raider title from it, it's supposed to be separate and in now way fits into the definition of reboot. 

This new game is the only other one that can be called a reboot and even then acts as more of a prequel to Legend.  Also, the fact she's dirty is hardly how they're hyping this as being a reboot.  Try free roaming environments, and survival gameplay.
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @WinterSnowblind: 

But still, that makes at least two reboots, and it's near impossible to avoid calling this one anything but a reboot. The prequel status doesn't exactly make it less of a reboot; if anything, it makes it more of a reboot ("we're putting our failures behind us, and we're giving the series a fresh start! Yea!"). Also, yea, dirty Lara isn't much for reboot status, but I still don't like how that's already been done before. Why does she need to be dirty?
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Video_Game_King: Like I said, they're doing far more than making her dirty.  They've revamped the gameplay and turned it into more of a survival game with open world exploration.  Personally, I think this sounds pretty great, and I like that they haven't just gone for the easy route and made an Uncharted clone.  She's dirty and injured to play up the survival aspects.  She's in a bad state, outside of her element and getting worse.  It's supposed to make her seem like more of a vulnerable character, rather than pushing for the sex appeal that most of the earlier games went for. 

Also bare in mind that the first game was released over 15 years ago.  Technology and gameplay has advanced considerably since then, the fact this is the second time they've rebooted the series/gameplay is hardly anything to be ashamed about.  Most other games that are this old have done exactly the same or died off completely.
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#35  Edited By jacksukeru

Goddamnit the spam!

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @WinterSnowblind: 

I only give the series a hard time because when I first played the original Tomb Raider, I hated it. And then it froze several times.
    RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By RobotHamster
    @SpiritOf said:
    " @Winternet said:
    " @raiz265 said:
    " @FunExplosions said:
    " @raiz265 said:
    " @Winternet said:
    " @FunExplosions said:
    " @raiz265 said:
    o/ "
    o/o "
    %  ? "
    o|o   Clearly. "
    ~o~ "
    ) o ( 
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By warxsnake

Whats with all the fucking spam bots

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By Faint

yeah, lets just stick multiplayer in everything and forget the concept of a good single player shall we? it's like how hip hop and the atrocity they call r'n'b (which it certainly isn't) is all you see on tv these days and all you hear on radio. i like a good multiplayer game, but this is just getting ridiculous.

ILuvMsMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ILuvMsMarvel

Frankly, I could care less about the multi-player aspect. I just can't wait to play a pre-TR Lara.

On a side note, would be cool to play a "in training" Sam Fisher. You know, like pre NSA and early years.

Set

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Set
    @ILuvMsMarvel said:
    "

Frankly, I could care less about the multi-player aspect. I just can't wait to play a pre-TR Lara.

On a side note, would be cool to play a "in training" Sam Fisher. You know, like pre NSA and early years.

"
    The expression is "I couldn't care less".
    DBagalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DBagalot
    @RobotHamster said:
    " @SpiritOf said:
    " @Winternet said:
    " @raiz265 said:
    " @FunExplosions said:
    " @raiz265 said:
    " @Winternet said:
    " @FunExplosions said:
    " @raiz265 said:
    o/ "
    o/o "
    %  ? "
    Now that makes perfect sense! "0
    o|o   Clearly. "
    ~o~ "
    ) o (  "
    0[0
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By napalm

^ 
    <   .   x   .   > 
             v 

omg look what i made

Shami_Sansi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#44  Edited By Shami_Sansi

I hope they do Co-op. No matter how bad a game is, i'd buy it if it had co-op.  
    There's always a good time to be had when it comes to co-op. 

CO-OP!

ezdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#45  Edited By ezdude
    @DBagalot said:
    " @RobotHamster said:
    " @SpiritOf said:
    " @Winternet said:
    " @raiz265 said:
    " @FunExplosions said:
    " @raiz265 said:
    " @Winternet said:
    " @FunExplosions said:
    " @raiz265 said:
    o/ "
    o/o "
    %  ? "
    o|o   Clearly. "
    ~o~ "
    ) o (  "
    0[0 "
    how about omg
    Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Winternet
    @ezdude said:
    " @DBagalot said:
    " @RobotHamster said:
    " @SpiritOf said:
    " @Winternet said:
    " @raiz265 said:
    " @FunExplosions said:
    " @raiz265 said:
    " @Winternet said:
    " @FunExplosions said:
    " @raiz265 said:
    o/ "
    o/o "
    %  ? "
    o|o   Clearly. "
    ~o~ "
    ) o (  "
    0[0 "
    how about omg "
    More like ogo 

BAM!
    BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#47  Edited By BBQBram

Does anyone else feel obligatory multiplayer is ruining single player campaigns? Sure, sometimes it's awesome and it doesn't always detract from the quality of the single player game but more and more it seems like publishers forcing devs to put in some abritrary multiplayer mode just for the bullet point checklist.

*Commence Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood mp flame war

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By Skald

Considering the fact that I will never buy a Tomb Raider game at full price anyway, this doesn't really affect me. I still feel like I should say that this seems very blah.

shinluis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By shinluis

Daaamnnnn yooooooooouuu multiplayer component bullet pooooooooooooooooinnnntt!!!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By penguindust

I, personally, am never too interested in multiplayer because most of it seems to revolve around being the first to put a bullet in the head of your opponent.  Since Lara Croft has never been a combat focused franchise, I would hope that any multiplayer wouldn't devolve into team fragfests and CTF.  Perhaps some sort of traversal race where players gather components to construct a device.  Anyway, it will be interesting to see what they have in mind.  Even though it's still a game of tag, the break from the norm found in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood should inspire other game studios to think outside the proven parameters. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.