Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tomb Raider

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 05, 2013

A young and inexperienced Lara Croft is shipwrecked on a mysterious island in this reboot of the beloved action adventure franchise, which departs from the mood of prior games in the series.

Tomb Raider Definitive PS4 edges out XB1 in performance.

• 166 results
    ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

If you took two PCs and put a video card with the PS4 gpu specs into one and the Xbox One gpu specs into the other (all other components being equal) and ran the Tomb Raider PC version on the two machines with the same settings, the difference would be nowhere near as large as the Tomb Raider PS4 and One differences we see.

That bad news is that in the long run, as games are built from scratch on the new console platforms, the lowest common denominator takes precedence, thus making the performance gaps between competitors even smaller. Multiplatform developers don't have too much motivation in making either console version better than the other. Hell, they sometimes barely make the PC port any better and those development costs/efforts are much more easily justified.

Halomaste19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 12

Going back to play older 3d games, its always the ones that run at 60 fps that look less old and dated. 60fps is the prefered speed for games, in my mind, and I will always hope games can hit that. I always turn settings down on my PC ( my pc sucks) to hit as close to 60 as I can. It just feels better. 30 is not unplayable, but I much prefer 60.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I already have the Tomb Raider Definitive edition

Its the PC version

heis24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Giantbomb. Getting to the bottom of the most important topics.

Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

What has this thread become?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

@wolfgame said:

If we are setting a precedent in which the naturally assumed "better" version of these multiplatform titles is Sony, then that is very dangerous for Microsoft. I have no doubt that growing pains will get worked out to some degree, but this isn't very reassuring. I am not saying that as an attack on MS. I haven't purchased a next gen console, but I think even the people who would categorize themselves as "MS Fanboys" would want to hold Microsofts feet to the fire on this issue.

This could become a reality, last gen i always bought the 360 version of a game over a ps3 version because 9 times out of 10 it ran smoother, had less glitches/game breaking bugs and even when this wasnt the case anymore near the end i had already gotten into the habbit. It only takes a few months of this to get gamers setting a preferred platform and even when the issue has been resolved its too late.

This really needs addressed now, MS have to get infront of this before it damages their brand for a full generation. Will they go bankrupt over a few ill ported games? no, but they will lose those with multiple platforms which will cost them a fair amount of cash.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By musubi

So more comparisons from Kotaku. Seems the PS4 version even edges out the PC version slightly.

http://kotaku.com/tomb-raider-on-ps4-is-more-definitive-than-on-xbox-o-1508613136

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't know if people are aware, since I didn't bother to read through the entire thread, but Xbox One and PS4 versions are being developed at two different studios.

Nixxes made the PS4 version and gave support to United Front Games who made the Xbox One version. Which could be another reason other than the hardware difference, as to why there are such a difference in the frame-rate between the two versions.

EDIT: Here is the link to Nixxes website where they state the above: http://www.nixxes.com/nixxes/newsdetail/20-uk/news/167-trhd-announced

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#161  Edited By joshwent

So more comparisons from Kotaku. Seems the PS4 version even edges out the PC version slightly.

http://kotaku.com/tomb-raider-on-ps4-is-more-definitive-than-on-xbox-o-1508613136

I wish they'd port the new version over to PC as well. Some of those differrences seem pretty major. I haven't had a chance to play TR yet, but I only have a PC, so I feel like now I only have the option to play a visually inferior version of the game. Weird situation.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#162  Edited By shinjin977

Goddamn people get so defensive. The entire first page was consist almost entirely of people going "who cares? stop picking on the xbox!"

This is fucking consumer information. If the more powerful ps4 was running this game at 30fps and no TressFX, I want to know about it. Now, because news outlet is airing this information in comparison to X1 all of a sudden its "console warz, console warz.". Wtf. Imagine if the pc version of this game actually had pc sites talking about how shitty TressFX was implemented in that version? Is that also console war? What if they compare it to the clearly worst ps3/360 port? At some point, people need to get off the console war argument bullshit and actually talk about the less than desirable port of these games. If a lot of ports turn out the same way for a particular system then tough shit. No need to get defensive about it. If you care about performance get a pc? That is a shit argument and you guys know it. I have an SLI Titan pc and I still want to know about this. You don't care? Then don't click on this and spam the entire first page with "I don't care post". You can say "hey, it sucks X1 seems to struggle performance wise but I still enjoy all the functionality that is unique to it, so I don't mind it much." That is a valid, informative argument. A forum is for discussions and that dismissive shit is terrible.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By AlexGBRO

@ericdrum: it will depend on the number of units of the console if the ps4 has a larger instal base than the xbox one ps4 could be the console that devs focus and just tune down the xbox one version so it can run on that console (like BF4 or even COD: ghost or AC4)

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if people are aware, since I didn't bother to read through the entire thread, but Xbox One and PS4 versions are being developed at two different studios.

Nixxes made the PS4 version and gave support to United Front Games who made the Xbox One version. Which could be another reason other than the hardware difference, as to why there are such a difference in the frame-rate between the two versions.

EDIT: Here is the link to Nixxes website where they state the above: http://www.nixxes.com/nixxes/newsdetail/20-uk/news/167-trhd-announced

I'm going to guess that that's exactly to reason for the differences. Nixxes does nothing but port jobs(and really damn good ones at that) while United Front is an actual developer who is, presumably, focusing on their own game(s) right now. That they didn't just give Nixxes both versions seems completely nonsensical to me.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goddamn people get so defensive. The entire first page was consist almost entirely of people going "who cares? stop picking on the xbox!"

This is fucking consumer information. If the more powerful ps4 was running this game at 30fps and no TressFX, I want to know about it. Now, because news outlet is airing this information in comparison to X1 all of a sudden its "console warz, console warz.". Wtf. Imagine if the pc version of this game actually had pc sites talking about how shitty TressFX was implemented in that version? Is that also console war? What if they compare it to the clearly worst ps3/360 port? At some point, people need to get off the console war argument bullshit and actually talk about the less than desirable port of these games. If a lot of ports turn out the same way for a particular system then tough shit. No need to get defensive about it. If you care about performance get a pc? That is a shit argument and you guys know it. I have an SLI Titan pc and I still want to know about this. You don't care? Then don't click on this and spam the entire first page with "I don't care post". You can say "hey, it sucks X1 seems to struggle performance wise but I still enjoy all the functionality that is unique to it, so I don't mind it much." That is a valid, informative argument. A forum is for discussions and that dismissive shit is terrible.

THERE ARE LEVELS OF IRONY HERE THAT YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND.

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@village_guy said:

I'm going to guess that that's exactly to reason for the differences. Nixxes does nothing but port jobs(and really damn good ones at that) while United Front is an actual developer who is, presumably, focusing on their own game(s) right now. That they didn't just give Nixxes both versions seems completely nonsensical to me.

Then what's the excuse for all the other games that are worse on Xbone? They probably could have went 720p/60fps but since this Tomb Raider port to next gen is all about making it look nicer visually they decided to go for 1080p/30. The PS4 didn't have to make that choice. Every game that did get to 1080 on xbone (basically the sports games and forza) had to sacrifice other stuff too. Forza has no AA with jaggies everywhere and pre-baked lighting,no day/night cycle, etc. Not sure why people are still blaming devs for this stuff when it's clearly the limitations of the Xbone.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

So apparently the X1 version runs some of the cutscenes in 900P. All the in game stuff is 1080P though. Weird that prerendered stuff was in 900P.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By rollingzeppelin

From the footage I've seen it looked liked the Xbone version was locked at 30 fps, so it wouldn't surprise me if it could do a higher frame rate, but one of the higher ups decided to lock it to avoid noticeable dips in frame rate. Ultimately, as long as you are not exposed to the PS4 version, I'm sure the xbox one looks and plays perfectly fine. Hell, some people might prefer the constant frame rate to one that is higher but constantly changing.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#169  Edited By LiquidPrince

From the footage I've seen it looked liked the Xbone version was locked at 30 fps, so it wouldn't surprise me if it could do a higher frame rate, but one of the higher ups decided to lock it to avoid noticeable dips in frame rate. Ultimately, as long as you are not exposed to the PS4 version, I'm sure the xbox one looks and plays perfectly fine. Hell, some people might prefer the constant frame rate to one that is higher but constantly changing.

It also hits as low as 18 fps on some of Digital Foundry's comparisons (albeit for a short moment). PS4 version never gets lower then 40.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquidprince: Well then...SOUND THE ALARM!

But in all honesty I don't really care seeing as I'm not particularly interested in getting either console at the moment. I guess later on when some games come out for it that really push some boundaries I'll be more into the new consoles, but by then it will probably be more obvious which console has more bang for the buck.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I've really noticed on this version between the frame rate being ~60fps and the incredbily superior DS4 I've been able to feel vast improvements in the actual gun play and how much more easy it is for me to line up spit second head shots.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.