Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tomb Raider

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 05, 2013

A young and inexperienced Lara Croft is shipwrecked on a mysterious island in this reboot of the beloved action adventure franchise, which departs from the mood of prior games in the series.

Tomb Raider Sequel Headed to Next-Gen

• 99 results
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Now that she's "survived" and proven herself, I hope the sequel focuses more on raiding tombs and solving crazy puzzles while still busssin' heads when people get in the way.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@joeyravn said:

@oraknabo said:

If it has more/bigger tombs, less combat and less reliance on QTEs, I'm interested.

This. So much of this. You know, put more emphasis on raiding tombs than on "surviving".

Surviving is a good idea when it is not synonymous with "shooting dudes in the face".

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#53  Edited By falconer

@larrydavis: I keep hearing that her run on Birds of Prey was good, but Batgirl has been so actively terrible that there's not a chance in hell I ever want to take part in anything she writes, past or future. Her legion of tumblr fans certainly doesn't help things either.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

Fantastic, the reboot was great.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, of course. This is a blockbuster franchise. How is this news?

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By MarkWahlberg

@falconer said:

@oraknabo said:

@falconer said:

Gail Simone is involved? Well, this is going to be terrible.

I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not, but I wasn't impressed at all with Rhianna Pratchett's writing, but 90% of Simone's work I've read has been great. Whether you like her work or not, she should bring big improvements over the last game.

Try to read the first arc of New 52 Batgirl without gouging your eyes out. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Well, Suicide Squad was ok in a 'this seems like one of those Joss Whedon shows' kind of way, and she does have a sizeable following, so to have her as a bullet point when they're just going to be giving her editorial mandates about what needs to happen anyway, it's probably a smart move. Especially after the pre-release conversations the last time around.

edit: she's just writing the comic series bridgin the two games anyway. Which might be a trial run for hiring her, but anyway. No need to panic.

klinkcow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Great game, it deserves another shot!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#58  Edited By Yummylee
    @the_nubster said:

@yummylee said:

Cool beans. Hopefully they'll opt to move the reboot series forward with a more tongue-in-cheek approach, or at the very least give it a more light-hearted tone akin to Uncharted. That is if it's still going to be driven by high-octane action anywhoo.

I enjoyed Tomb Raider, though I know that I would have enjoyed it so much more if it didn't take itself so damn seriously.

it needed to lighten up a bit (which would have been foolish, since Uncharted already does that tone and style of action so well), or make the character arcs more fleshed-out and the encounters with enemies less frequent and much, much more meaningful.

I agree, and while I'd prefer the latter route, it's much more likely that they're going to build on from its action-heavy and bombastic beginnings. As such I'd prefer they then add in some personality, instead of toiling over all of this gritty doom and gloom. Or at the very least don't force Lara through a series of hardships in the cutscenes, only to contrast that with stuff like regenerating health and earning ''XP'' for skinning animals.

Though since her origin 'story' is past us, hopefully that means she'll be a lot more comfortable in kicking ass and blasting fools with her dual-pistols in the sequel. More tombs to raid would be nice, too.

Lingxor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Will this one be declared a financial failure too when it doesn't sell eleventy million copies?

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By cikame

I don't like that he felt the need to apologize for incoming business models, just hire a better animator and we're golden.

Nerolus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Just beat Tomb Raider, this makes me pretty happy.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

@markwahlberg said:

edit: she's just writing the comic series bridgin the two games anyway. Which might be a trial run for hiring her, but anyway. No need to panic.

Ah, okay, good to know then. Thanks!

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kkotd: The graphics card thing is cross-promotion which most likely gives Square free marketing for products. Similar to the way you see Iron Man on Dr. Pepper cans and Taco Bell commercials.

And having pre-order incentives on their own site doesn't equate to losing money. If they were to give you 10 dollar for a purchase of the next Square game on their site they're essentially making the price equivalent to what they would be selling at retail (or around the price I suspect they'd be making at retail after retail's 10-20% cut).

Saw it everywhere? I never saw a single ad apart from the first E3 trailer and that Conan Clueless Gamer. That's anecdotal, but so is your view of it. It's a case of them needing to find better ways of marketing their product, not necessarily less of it.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excellent I really enjoyed playing Tomb Raider earlier this year and would like to see a continuation of this TR universe.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yay. Stoked for this!

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#66  Edited By ptys

Great although a can wait a few years... Mass Effect next please... take your time though Bio-Ware.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What does "next-gen" mean? It will only work with the next cycle of graphics cards or something?

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By leebmx

Look forward to the next generation of hair-tech.....

@gunslingerpanda Is that a joke I don't get? It means it's for PS4 and XboxOne

Avatar image for chilipeppersman
    chilipeppersman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#69  Edited By chilipeppersman

I loved tomb raider, so im super game for this!

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Hopefully this one will be a prequel to the prequel telling me the story about how she became so skilled at everything, and i mean everything. Hopefully somewhere along the way there might be story, i dont know, we have to see if that part fits in somewhere.

Killerfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully now we've gone through the survival phase, we can can get into the 'raiding tombs and shooting wolves in the face' phase.

JackG100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

More focus on stealth, less on killing a million dudes. More focus on survival, more focus on tombs... then I am in. Tomb Raider was alright, but imo the "kill every guy in sight"-mechanics of modern gaming is becoming tiresome. I want alternatives, I want tension in my games and just shooting everyone doesn't provide that tension.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@joeyravn said:

@oraknabo said:

If it has more/bigger tombs, less combat and less reliance on QTEs, I'm interested.

This. So much of this. You know, put more emphasis on raiding tombs than on "surviving".

Surviving is a good idea when it is not synonymous with "shooting dudes in the face".

Hence the quotation marks, implying irony.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60061752a57
    deactivated-5e60061752a57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going through Tomb Raider at the moment and my only knocks against it are the QTE's and the locked FoV.

Lotta fun otherwise.

And those DLC skins for Lara are actually kind of worth it, esp. at the Summer Sale price.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope TressFX 2.0 is in it.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Actually I don't think this helps. The last TR games was far too spiritually distant from teh souce than I woudl have liked. I think a bit of time, a new studio, and even a whole new mindset is what is needed. Hey, it okay if you like that game, but I (just talking about me here) think Crystal D will just double down on their poor choicies, and that is not what I want at all.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Solh0und

Liked the reboot alot. Not my GOTY but I really liked it. I'm down for a next-gen sequel. Just remove multiplayer altogether please.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome! I really enjoyed Tomb Raider so I'm happy it's getting a sequel.

Splid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Well woulnd't it just be a clone at that point? I'm playing through it at the moment and i really like the tone. I think it's a really great setup for the evolution of Lara :)

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome, now hopefully Square Enix won't have their sales expectations like 20 million in the first month

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

Glad to hear this. I really enjoyed the game and was worried from all the talk about Square Enix calling it a "failure."

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yay! More tombs, less killin', please!

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, that is fantastic news. Tomb Raider is one of the few games I've played that has come out this year, and it's already my game of the year so far. The story was dark, and great. Lara herself was a surprisingly badass character yet endearing at the same time. And, the graphics were beautiful, too. My only complaint was the Quick-Time Events (Or QTE). They were really frustrating, and tested my resolve to continue playing the game.

But overall, I am so looking forward to a sequel to Tomb Raider. I was on the fence about buying an X-Box One, but I'm on board now.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I was hoping with all of the big level executive changes going on at Square that hopefully they would cut back on some of their lamer business practices, one of which is announcing all of their games way too early. Guess not.

divergence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By divergence

this is good news. I purchased Tomb Raider recently and was immediately struck by how much care and attention they put into the game. While I haven't finished the game and in fact find a lot to dislike with the combat, if they can learn from some of the low points of the current game I have no doubt they can make something special on their next one.

More adventuring and less getting blown up or burned up! That simple. Thanks!

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I should really get around to playing the "first" one.

Norusdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@nictel said:

Happy that the ridiculous sales targets set by Square Enix have not stopped a sequel from happening.

This. TR sold well and was an awesome game. Square-Enix just wanted it to sell an unreasonable amount because THEY suck. So I'm really glad their suckage didn't stop them from making a TR sequel.

Love the new LC

Mike88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they make a better sequel. The last game was all Michael bay explosions , constant action ,constant enemies that wouldn't stop pooping up:P. Less enemies would made the game better , pace the break times of the action ,more exploring and discovering. Tomb Raider should have been more like The Last Of Us , that game has a perfect balance when it comes to action and exploring. Constant shooting tires me out , and then I put the game down, that's how I roll.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Ezekiel

I hope it's harder. The upgrades and enemy placements made the shootouts too quick and easy. I would prefer if they removed the upgrades for most weapons, to let you pick up any weapon during combat. The arrows need to be more easily noticed and it would be nice if the survival elements weren't as shallow. There should be a bigger incentive for exploration than main menu extras and game completion. Lastly, I hope setpieces are used more sparingly and realistically. They felt overly staged.

HellknightLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Now I just need to get the first one... well I'm betting this will be on PC... and Steam will throw in the first one as a preorder bonus. So it will work out nice for me... in a year or so.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#92  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Glad this is getting a sequel, was worried the rebooted franchise was going to get canned after Tomb Raider didn't sell enough.

prezabelincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YAY!

darkest4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great game, it deserved a sequel.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I just want a decent Tome Raider game to come out...

Avatar image for asmundergunderson
    Asmundergunderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kind of surprised to see this after Square's earlier comments. Really pleased though, would have been a bummer to just ditch it all after setting everything up like that.

Nightfang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This is great news!

Plipster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#98  Edited By Plipster

The reboot is the only Tomb Raider game I actually finished and I really enjoyed it (As opposed to just muttering "fuck it" and never coming back when I got stuck on the olde games) glad it's getting a sequel.

TangoUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Promising start, but I'm hoping for fewer enemies, fewer WW2 links, better environments, more historical architecture and more puzzles and platforming.

JakeMoore1106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played the first one yet! Is it worth playing?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.