Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tomb Raider

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 05, 2013

A young and inexperienced Lara Croft is shipwrecked on a mysterious island in this reboot of the beloved action adventure franchise, which departs from the mood of prior games in the series.

What is the "fan service" moment

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I didn't play the game yet. Might not. I'm a huge TR fan, but this game is a disheartening shift from what I know and love into what I hate. (uncharted)

What's the 'fan service" moment all the reviewers mention but won't talk about?

mrflibble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By mrflibble

It's at the very end of the game, it wouldn't spoil the plot to reveal it but might be more enjoyable if you don't know its going to happen (though you can probably guess).

Lara kills the last boss with two pistols, it's a QTE. I thought it was a nice little moment.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fan service is an end game spoiler

Throughout the game you're rocking a pistol, a shotgun, an assault rifle and the bow. At the very end when Lara is aiming her pistol at the last boss and he's aiming his back at her, she shoots him, the pistol flies out of his hand and he drops from the high mountain top - Lara catches the flying pistol, then looks at the dual pistols in her hands with admiration with a look that says "this... this fits me. I'll be doing this in the future" And a dual wielder was born!

OneAndOnlyBigE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By OneAndOnlyBigE

I was really hoping they were going to let you keep them while exploring the island after the credits. No dice though.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Humanity

I was really hoping they were going to let you keep them while exploring the island after the credits. No dice though.

I was really waiting for her to rip off her pants so that she's wearing the symbolic shorts but no dice either. Considering how trashed her clothes get throughout the game I say that was a missed opportunity, but it would probably just stir up more sexism controversy. Archaeologists don't wear shorts, duh.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By TheHT

@officegamer: Oh my god, she actually says that? Did generic rock music start playing immediately after?

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's at the very end of the game, it wouldn't spoil the plot to reveal it but might be more enjoyable if you don't know its going to happen (though you can probably guess).

Lara kills the last boss with two pistols, it's a QTE. I thought it was a nice little moment.

Yep, very much this moment. I really enjoyed it but it's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things and I recommend experiencing it via playing the game in a fresh state of mind without spoiling it for yourself. It's certainly not worth playing the game for that little moment alone. If the new direction really bothers you I would just ignore the game but I personally found it to be surprisingly entertaining even as someone that is a big fan of the TR legacy.

Some of the hatred for the game as well as the Uncharted comparisons seem quite overstated but the TR reboot isn't your old comfortable formula either.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#8 jeanluc  Staff

@theht said:

@officegamer: Oh my god, she actually says that? Did generic rock music start playing immediately after?

She doesn't actually say that. The scene also doesn't play out that way. He drops his pistol in the fight, she grabs it, holds both pistols up and shoots him till he falls off. Then she goes and helps Sam.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeanluc said:

@theht said:

She doesn't actually say that. The scene also doesn't play out that way. He drops his pistol in the fight, she grabs it, holds both pistols up and shoots him till he falls off. Then she goes and helps Sam.

Ohh yeah I guess I falsely remembered some small details, probably because it's been a while since I beat it.

However I didn't say that she said those words, I said she gave the guns a look that said that, it was her expression, and it was awesome.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@jeanluc said:

@theht said:

Ohh yeah I guess I falsely remembered some small details, probably because it's been a while since I beat it.

However I didn't say that she said those words, I said she gave the guns a look that said that, it was her expression, and it was awesome.

oh my mistake. well that's not too bad then.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.