Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tomodachi Life

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Apr 18, 2013

When a variety of Miis live in an apartment complex on a secluded island, relationships and bizarre situations happen in this comedic life situation game for the Nintendo 3DS.

Tomodachi Life now Available in NA - First Impressions

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Hi just want to give people a heads up that Tomodachi Life is now available on the eShop in North America. Grabbing it now and am really looking forward to this game. If your hesistant on this game It says on the promo you can be friends with Shaq.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

hot diggiti, I'm curious about this one, especially street passing.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Interested in it, though hearing some early opinions as me a little worried it's not what I'd be looking for.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@machofantastico said:

Interested in it, though hearing some early opinions as me a little worried it's not what I'd be looking for.

Looks like sims / animal crossing mixed with something like Incredible Crisis. Probably more on the sims / animal crossing side though. Most reviews I've read of this game have used the words "odd" and "weird" to describe it. I guess take that as you will.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#5  Edited By MachoFantastico

@machofantastico said:

Looks like sims / animal crossing mixed with something like Incredible Crisis. Probably more on the sims / animal crossing side though. Most reviews I've read of this games have used the words "odd" and "weird" to describe it. I guess take that as you will.

The idea of The Sims meets Animal Crossing peaks my interest greatly and that trailer they released was great, so I'm hopeful it's wacky and fun at the very least.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@machofantastico said:

@i_stay_puft said:

@machofantastico said:

Looks like sims / animal crossing mixed with something like Incredible Crisis. Probably more on the sims / animal crossing side though. Most reviews I've read of this games have used the words "odd" and "weird" to describe it. I guess take that as you will.

The idea of The Sims meets Animal Crossing peaks my interest greatly and that trailer they released was great, so I'm hopeful it's wacky and fun at the very least.

The cashier at the super market has a wood block for a face. Yeah the game is probably pretty wacky. Still trying to figure out how to become best buds with Shaq.

Mitch0712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm downloading it now. I will also see what Shaq is up to.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de
    deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

I'm kinda worried that this game will get repetitive after a while - and judging by some of the reviews up there, I might be right - but still, I'm incredibly excited for it, and I'd probably be buying it at launch if it weren't for Mario Kart 8 and Ultra Street Fighter IV backing my wallet up into a corner and bludgeoning it to death with a lead pipe. Anyone who's willing to make Miis of the GB staff and upload the QR codes here is my new best friend

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By Humanity

@i_stay_puft: So on a scale of 1-to-Hitler, how much were you offended by it thus far?

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I read somewhere that the day to day gameplay is even shorter than Animal Crossing.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@humanity: Not really sure about the being offended part about it. I heard there was some controversy a few weeks back but it's still a nintendo game. So I'm a few hours in and it kinda feels like you're a prison warden and you just gotta make sure your mii's survive the island.

Mini games are kinda wonky, not as wonky as wario ware but up there.

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#12  Edited By lumley

I'm still on the fence about this one. Here's a couple of the review scores that hit this morning, one from each end of the review spectrum:

Eurogamer- 5/10

Tomodachi Life is a simple, throwaway toy, then - one with plenty of cute tricks, but not quite enough of them to stop you from tossing it aside after a handful of hours.

Nintendo Life - 8/10

Despite concerns regarding its suitability for core gamers, Tomodachi Life is a title which has truly universal appeal; the barrier to entry which exists in many pieces of software — Animal Crossing: New Leaf included — is all but removed here, making this feel more like a casual mobile title.

The price is slightly off putting for me, half it and it's a no-brainer but £30/$40 seems a bit steep.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

For those wondering where Shaq is at you actually have to go to tomodachi life website for the QR codes. You can also add some other celebs like Christina Aguilera and Shaun White but I decided to pass up on them cause they're not Shaq.

QR code for Shaq

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By fattony12000

I received this video game from Osaka on the 29th of May, 2014:

No Caption Provided

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Heh after taking several images I finally got the prompt for image share. If people wanted to they could upload the images taken in this game to facebook, twitter, or tumblr through the browser on the 3ds. This game is freakin weird.

Also Shaq lives in a football / soccer decorated apartment in my game.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Random question: is there a limit to the amount of Miis you can have in the game? I know there's a limit of 100 in Mii Maker but it seems like you can make Miis in the game itself, so...

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@steamrickroller said:

Random question: is there a limit to the amount of Miis you can have in the game? I know there's a limit of 100 in Mii Maker but it seems like you can make Miis in the game itself, so...

The starting apartment where all the Mii's live is 24 rooms and each Mii I've added so far have taken one room. I'd assume there has to be a way to add more since if Mii's get together they'd probably move in together and open up a slot. I guess the only way to really find out is to fill up the 24 rooms first and see if the current apartment goes into construction or opens up a new apartment.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MindBullet

On the one hand, there is very little "gameplay" here, but on the other hand the first thing Shaq said when he moved in was "look in my belly" followed by an x-ray view of his empty stomach.

@steamrickroller said:

According to the official website, the limit for Tomodachi Life is also 100 Miis.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Alright, so from what I've gathered so far from playing this it's a game you can play at your own leisure like Sims & Animal Crossing but there is less for you to do compared to those games. I haven't unlocked everything on the island but so far all there really is to do is either interact with the Mii's if they have a shout / or scribble thought bubble on them, or purchase things like food and clothes for your Mii. There should be other things to do from what I've seen in trailers for your mii to do such as a music concert area but so far I haven't unlocked that part yet.

If there is something as a main objective to this game it would have to be making sure each mii's happiness level is fulfilled. Some of the ways in which you can accomplish this could be something simple like introducing them to other mIi's on the island, interacting with the mii's yourself (this is where the weird wario ware like mini-games comes to play), give them presents, clothes, food and so forth. When you start fulfilling there happiness bar they level up and this is when you get something of an in-game reward that you pick from. The in-game rewards vary to gifts for your mii, room decorations, money, mii phrases, and music. I'm still early in the game and haven't unlocked all the locales on the island but I think I was hoping for something more similar to Animal Crossing. This game just feels like a cheapin' down version of a voyeuristic Sims since the only fun I've had from this games is spying on Shaq and taking pics of him rolling on the ground. I'll keep playing it since the game does have a weird sense of humor I find charming and hopefully the other locations I haven't unlocked yet will add some new variety to the game.

One last thing I'd like to add is most of the fun for me came from the wario ware like mini-games from either interacting with the mii's or giving a mii a specific item. Without giving away too much since they are actually pretty fun to discover on your own here is a tiny example of what one path led me to.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Vuud

I have a ton of pictures but here's the best (and totally worth the price of admission):

Nintendo censored the words 'screaming' and 'peanuts' but is fine with 'Satan' and 'impotence', go figure.
    Nintendo censored the words 'screaming' and 'peanuts' but is fine with 'Satan' and 'impotence', go figure.
    No Caption Provided

Now the absolute highlight is @alex having an epic rap battle with Christina Aguilera:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Sorry, Alex. Gigu is also an exceptional rap battler.

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Oh man, that Alex... I eagerly anticipate someone making a town with only Giant Bomb staff Miis, and colleagues of theirs. Ryan and Lang in a rap battle would be next-level baller.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By Tom_omb

I was on the fence, but I think I'm going to have to pass on this one for now. As charmed as I am, there just doesn't seem to be enough game play for the price. Maybe this is a game best watched, rather then played. Looking forward to a proper quick look follow up to that Unprofessional Friday nonsense.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I'm kinda worried that this game will get repetitive after a while...

That's the reason I'm able to enjoy the coverage and the footage enough but know I shouldn't buy it. Like Animal Crossing, I'm sure the novelty of it would wear off too quickly and I would never touch the game again. Just not the type of game that hugs onto me.

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Amikron
    No Caption Provided

Hard to say no to that kind of offer.

bizzama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@landon said:

I read somewhere that the day to day gameplay is even shorter than Animal Crossing.

Kinda- there's less to do in one sitting, but you can come back after an hour or two and have more stuff to do. Basically, most of the gameplay revolves around your Miis having problems and asking you to help solve them, which can involve minigames, setting your Miis up with each other, buying them clothes, etc. So once you've solved everyone's problems, there's nothing to do unless there are events going on. But if you put the game down for an hour or so and come back, they'll have a whole new set of problems, so there's more to do, unlike in Animal Crossing, where I found at a certain point I would just boot up the game, do the daily stuff, and shut it off and not touch it for the rest of the day because I'd done everything I could do that day.

It is less of a game than I was expecting- I thought you'd have direct control of your Mii at least, but you don't. However, it seems the key is to have a shitload of Miis, so that way there's always something happening or some kind of drama starting. I stopped making my own Miis after making like 4 of them and just looked up QR codes, which is SO much easier. But it is SUPER wacky and Japanese in the best way, so that's good.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Have any of you guys praised the Virtual Boy yet?

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Amikron

@bisonhero: No but getting one as a treasure from a minigame was probably the best reward I could ask for.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Vuud

It really is more like the Sims than Animal Crossing. In Animal Crossing you're a character in the game doing stuff to help build up your town. In Tomodachi you don't play a character in the game, you are YOU, and it's just about you interacting with the Mii's and watching them do silly stuff. I can see why some might not think there's much a game here, but it's still very entertaining.

So if I had to describe Tomodachi Life, I'd say it's a simplistic version of the Sims with Mii's and it's Japanese as all hell.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

It feels like a cruel joke that Nintendo would release this game in Massachusetts first. At least release it in a state that hasn't legalized same-sex marriage, yet.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've enjoyed it quite a bit so far. It's humor hits me pretty well and making the different people have been fun. It may get old eventually but I'm having a good time a few hours in for sure. If Nintendo releases QR codes for characters and stuff I think that could be a cool aspect of it.

I wouldn't compare it to the Sims too much at least for me because all I ever did is build houses in that game and I'm enjoying the interactions of the characters a lot so far in this.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Been out for a bit, how are people still enjoying the game?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.