Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2

Game » consists of 38 releases. Released Sep 04, 2020

The second high-definition remake of the first two games in the long-running Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series.

You can complete goals ONCE...?! (Edit: FIXED)

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Phoenix654

Edit: The below issue has largely been fixed via patch. You can now play through the game with any pro and do the goals with them for progression. This does make it slightly awkward as I'll have to beat them AGAIN as Tony Hawk since it counts as a separate progression, but whatevs, this is great. Kudos to the devs for fixing it, skate on, y'all.

Holy shit... this game went from something I thought was amazing to utterly heartbreaking just now. I played through the game as the man himself, Tony Hawk, and then was excited to go back through as other skaters but... all the goals are completed already. When I pick any other skater, the goals are done.

All of them.

I can't play the goals again. I'm done.

What the actual fuck? Who decided that was a good idea? Am I missing something? Is there a way to reset goal progress so you can play the game more? Or is this just a score challenge now?

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Isn't that how it always was? At least this game has the account based challenges as well to kind of keep you going if you want. But it always just devolved into a high score thing after that.

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noboners: Not in the originals, at least up until THPS3. You could complete goals with each skater. It gave me a reason to go back and learn the levels really well and also search for stat/cash icons.

stise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you go to the Ranked and Free Skate tour and select "Speed Run" you can replay the goals as much as you want.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phoenix654: aw man I did not remember that. Truly a bummer then.

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Phoenix654

@stise: that’s a strange place for them to put that... on the one hand, I like them supporting the speed run community with a mode all their own, but this has no time limit. And if you get all the goals too fast, you can actually have a less than two minute run, or you could just roll around getting points forever, so your score wouldn’t be comparable to a regular run... thanks for pointing it out though, I guess it’s better than not getting to play them at all anymore.

@noboners: yeah, really threw me for a loop. Maybe I’m just wound up about it too much, I don’t know, it’s been a rough week. I just had this planned as my “go back and pick at this for the rest of the year” kind of game, so it feels like something was pulled out from under me.

stise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By stise

@phoenix654: Yeah, it's kinda unfortunate that there's no way to exactly replicate the career sessions. Though I'll say that as someone who mostly plays THPS as a score attack-style game, I like the way they've organized things. It makes it so that replaying goals can be integrated much more smoothly into my usual playstyle than before.

Sorry it's been a rough week, hope things start looking up for you soon.

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stise: hopefully I can get used to it, it’s only day one after all.

Thanks duder. I hope so too.

Judoboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got nothing to add except I also am super bummed about that design choice. I just wanna zone out and go through all the objectives with multiple skaters.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Agreed that I'm bummed about that, but there are skater specific challenges for everyone that sort of make up for it at least

jtucci31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For real this sucks. I played with Muska first, maxed him out, and then wanted to do it again with my created skater but couldn't. So I just quickly ran through the levels to get the stat points to max him out. Odd choice for an otherwise well-designed game.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can you delete the save file and then go again?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems like something that should be easy to patch in as an option and that's something they should do for those who want it. On the other hand...I actually really like this choice because it allows me to just play whatever level I want with whatever skater I want. It's not that it would have been terrible the old way, but I like the freedom, especially because there are so many skaters this time out. I don't need to grind all the police cars in San Francisco 21 times or whatever. I think that the best option would just be to let people either reset the goals manually or just select between "goals unlock for all skaters" and "goals unlock per skater." I'm sure they have some post-launch support planned (THPS3+4 DLC would be ideal but probably just create a skater/create a park stuff) so hopefully they will add that while they're updating the game.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I was pumped there was no "do everything with every skater" stuff.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I neither love it nor hate it, though what bugs me a lot about this decision is that they went through the trouble of not requiring every skater to do every task...but still requiring every skater to collect the skill points in every level to max out their stats. Huh? The skill points are typically trivial, rarely difficult gets that without the other challenges to dress up the levels around them amount to needless busy work. It's just odd that they would remove the fun parts of the game but require the tedious one.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Taking cash icons out of 2 gives you less to do as well. I might hold off on this now, given the likelihood I'll tear through it on a weekend.

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: To be fair, having spent more time with it, they do have a lot of challenges for each skater to accomplish. All you get for doing them is experience points, special trick slots, and more board designs for them, but yeah. If it's a sticking point, maybe hold off. I should say the game does feel fantastic, 10/10 on that front, absolutely nailed it. That's what made this design choice all the harder to swallow for me at least.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ToughShed

That sounds like a big misstep to me. Hopefully a patch can fix that. I hate when games do things like that.

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toughshed: the most recent patch has fixed this, I edited the initial comment and title of the thread to reflect it.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool. I still fancy picking it up when it's cheap.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

They just added dozens of hours of gameplay with one patch,so glad they fixed this

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.