Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jul 18, 2012

Return to skateboarding game roots in this high-definition remake of the earliest games from the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series.

Tony Hawk wanted the game to ditch the old soundtrack.

TopCat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By TopCat88

Source: http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/tony-hawk-pro-skater-hd-will-be-a-question-not-a-statement

I just read a good piece on THPS:HD over at The PA Report. I wondered what you guys thought of this...

Hawk also wanted the game to feature all new songs. That way fans of the game could be introduced to new bands, the same way a generation of gamers were turned on to the punk and ska bands from the first games.

Although I admire Hawk for wanting to be heavily involved in the development of the game, I can't help but think he's missing the point of a remake. Initially, the fears of the old soundtrack being missing were due to Robomodo not being able to secure licenses. Now it seems like it was possible, but Hawk wanted new songs so we're ending up with a 50/50 split. I guess this is better than nothing. I can't wait to see what the soundtrack is as my biggest memory of those games is the music and it will seem strange thrashing around those levels with a different tunes.

Also, this really annoyed me.

The hidden VHS tapes have been converted to DVDs.

Why does that change need to happen? Scared that the kids will not be down with collecting tapes. Completely unnecessary and for me, will undermine the nostalgia. Not that either of these things will stop me playing this.

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Roomrunner

The VHS/DVD thing seems silly to get mad about. Though DVD is a poor representation of modern media as well.

The soundtrack... I understand the nostalgia for it. I used to love Goldfinger and The Suicide Machines too, but I see his point more clearly. I'd rather the next generation of that music get it's share(like Big D And The Kids Table and Bomb The Music Industry!)

Also, as much as I loved the soundtrack to those games, I always ended up eventually turning on my own music nearby after a while.

TopCat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TopCat88

I guess you make sense. I'm not tearing down the walls about the VHS thing. It's just such a pointless change. I can just imaging the meeting where they discussed: "How to modernise the concept?"

If they choose some good tracks to mix in with the old stuff then maybe we'll soon forget all about the issue. Would a new/old soundtrack menu option be too much to ask?

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By benpicko

Two things: I'd prefer a new soundtrack as well, and why would they choose DVDs? Who uses DVDs anymore?

JM12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By JM12088

Because Microsoft might not like them using bluray.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By williamhenry

@benpicko said:

Two things: I'd prefer a new soundtrack as well, and why would they choose DVDs? Who uses DVDs anymore?

I haven't kept up with skate videos recently, but I can't image too many of them are on Bluray. So updating them to DVDs makes sense. Really though, its such a small change. Who really cares about what kind of collectible it is?

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I use DVDs.

Deathawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Deathawk

Really what does it matter if they're DVD's or Bluray's? I mean they look almost identical.

Nintendude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Nintendude

Wouldn't this be the best way to do it?

Having the mix of both soundtracks as a default and enabling you to choose if you want only old or only new songs.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I've pointed it out before, but I think it's worth pointing out again that this game actually isn't a remake.

It's a new game, just heavily based on the first two and features the same levels from them, so I don't think it's a problem if there are some changes, especially if they're as insignificant as this. The soundtrack really shouldn't be an issue either, since both platforms support custom soundtracks.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@benpicko said:

The majority of planet Earth.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@benpicko said:

Me.

Hawk has a good point on the soundtrack. Put some new bands nobody has heard of and kids might discover their favourite band like so many did with the originals. Most of the bands from the old soundtrack are prolly not making music any more.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#13  Edited By alistercat

@WinterSnowblind said:

I've pointed it out before, but I think it's worth pointing out again that this game actually isn't a remake.

Exactly. A reference to the originals, not actually them. Besides, if you want a soundtrack you can listen to the songs and if you literally just want the original games they are readily available to play.

stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By stubbleman

You know, I used to be worried about the soundtrack for about two seconds. But then I said to myself, I said "Wait a minute. I can play what the fuck ever I want while I play the game." Then I immediately stopped caring what they do with the soundtrack. I'd just as soon hear some new songs anyway. If I want to listen to Psycho Vision on loop for four hours while skating on the warehouse, I can do that on my own. It doesn't need to be built into the game for my sake.

Tobiass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Tobiass

@JM12088 said:

No one uses Bluray. Subscription bases streaming and on demand downloads are the new thing. Bluray is for stupid people that find those things too complicated.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Tobiass

@JM12088 said:

No one uses Bluray. Subscription bases streaming and on demand downloads are the new thing. Bluray is for stupid people that find those things too complicated.

Yep, all those stupid people in other countries that don't have fast enough Internet to make streaming an enjoyable experience (and all those copyright issues too!) and how about those guys who prefer having an actual collection, just out of personal preference, and don't get me started on those people who like the bonus content. All stupid reasons!
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By OllyOxenFree
    @Tobiass

@JM12088 said:

That comment was so stupid it almost gave me cancer.
    MegaMetaTurtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By MegaMetaTurtle
    @NekuSakuraba
    @Tobiass

@JM12088 said:

Yep, all those stupid people in other countries that don't have fast enough Internet to make streaming an enjoyable experience (and all those copyright issues too!) and how about those guys who prefer having an actual collection, just out of personal preference, and don't get me started on those people who like the bonus content. All stupid reasons!
    That and the fact that services like Netflix suck in the rest of the world when compared to the US library.

Plus, it's nice to have an actual physical copy of a movie you love :)
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By musubi

I think Hawk's head is in the right spot on this. Hr was obviously Successful in getting us to latch onto the songs he picked for the first game. People shouldn't let biased nostalgia blind them to what is forward progress. At least he had enough sense to not try to shove any gimmicks in the game. I mean they COULD have shoehorned in support for the RIDE board. And they didn't.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By musubi
    @Tobiass

@JM12088 said:

Nothing matches the fidelity of Bluray. Streaming HD looks nice but it's still not on caliber with Bluray.
    Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bell_End

we do get mad about petty stupid shitty pointless things these days don't we

mscupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By mscupcakes

@Demoskinos: Bluray will never beat that crisp, clean look of vinyl though.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BradBrains

@WinterSnowblind said:

It's a new game, just heavily based on the first two and features the same levels from them, so I don't think it's a problem if there are some changes, especially if they're as insignificant as this. The soundtrack really shouldn't be an issue either, since both platforms support custom soundtracks.

has this been confirmed because ps3 customer soundtracks are in like two out of the hundred games I own.

TimmyChaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TimmyChaw

Should be collectible flash drives, lol...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.