Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jul 18, 2012

Return to skateboarding game roots in this high-definition remake of the earliest games from the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series.

What is the benefit of including only THPS and 2 mechanics?

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By napalm

So, while I am on a pseudo-tirade today, I figured I would pose this interesting question:

What is the benefit of including only Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and Pro Skater 2 mechanics?

I believe it is widely regarded that all four Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games are absolute classics, with each entry in the franchise expanding and building, evolving the skateboarding mechanics so that the system is all-around robust, varied and allows for maximum creativity as well as varying styles the player is able to bring to the games.

I feel there is a certain creative loss by breaking down and doing away with the evolution of the series by stopping this HD-ification at Pro Skater 2. In playing just a small snippet of the game, the mechanics and collision detection have grown on me, and I am now able to enjoy the game more than I did in the first instance that I played the demo. But, in my experience, there is a mechanical limitation that has come with stripping down the skateboarding system to its near barebones, and it is obvious that this system was developed so as to be the standard for this particular entry. (It's not necessarily that I want to be able to anti-casper into a kick trick and go back into an anti-casper after landing every jump, but more so, I am limited in how far I want to push the mechanics. This has led to redundancy, much more "safe" gameplay and a bit of boredom.)

Unless Robomodo are planning on creating a Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD 2, I can't really see this particular games having legs in a year, especially with this stripped down system they decided to go with. (And honestly, I really don't want to play Los Angeles (3) with the Pro Skater 2 mechanics.)

What does everybody else think about the mechanical choices in this game? Do you think we could see an HD 2 in two years' time? How would the mechanics look? Or, is this it for the HD-ification of the Pro Skater franchise? (I would like this to be about mechanics and gameplay. The case has already been stated for the level selection.)

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#2  Edited By alistercat

The benefit is appealing to people who didn't like the subsequent games. I think mechanics like getting of your board and spine transfers etc, helped the problem of bailing all the time.

Driam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Driam

Being able to sell you the good shit as DLC.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Tylea002

Just one of the many corners cut.

Crushingly disappointing.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
    Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

@Driam said:

Being able to sell you the good shit as DLC.

This.

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By phrali

if they give you everything with your initial purchase, how are they supposed to get you to buy dlc?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.