Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Too Human

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Aug 19, 2008

In this action-RPG from Silicon Knights, players take on the role of the Norse god Baldur, whose protective feelings towards humanity and refusal to augment his body with cybernetics lead the other Aesir to label him "too human".

Am I really the only one who enjoyed the hell outta Too Human?

• 50 results
    Avatar image for hardcorebunni93
    hardcorebunni93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hardcorebunni93

The concept was really interesting, the story executed it quite well with a strong cast of characters(as someone who is interested in Norse mythology outside of the Marvel universe and in, at least in terms of JMS's run and the little I've read by Walt Simonson , some of the adaptions of the gods, godesses and demi-god were remarkably conceptualized ) voiced by a great cast of voice actors in general and above all a theatrical approach to the storytelling i.e. cutscenes versus the usual cinematic approach. In terms of gameplay, I remember there was an insane amount of fuss over the control scheme which I found incredibly refreshing as well as the actual combat which combined with the loot system gave the player something to really invest in and shadowed the problems that did exist in terms of gameplay. Graphics were decent enough, nothing stellar, I'll admit but my only serious gripe (although it was quite serious when playing in the harder difficulties on my 2nd and 3rd playthrough) was that horrendous Valkyrie scene which is a great idea in terms of the transposition of Norse mythology into the actual gameplay but after the 5th time you just want to skullfuck the winged cunts. Anyways, I haven't managed to play the game again since I sold my 360 2 years ago but the game is still on my shelf and I'd really love to play it again. Along with BioShock, the ME trilogy, Saints Row 3 to name a few off my mind, it's one of the most interesting games I've played this generation. Am I really alone in my opinion of the game or are there enough people like me or at least interested enough in what the first game did to actually merit the discussed trilogy from Silicon Knights?

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By tim_the_corsair
    @hardcorebunni93 Based upon the sales data, I'd say you were, in fact, the only person who enjoyed that absolute shitshow of a game.
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

Yes. Out of seven billion people, you...

Too Human

...all right, yes.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Cloudenvy

Pretty much, yeah!

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BraveToaster

Yes, and you have been rewarded the Golden Cheeseburger of Uniqueness. May you bask in the awesomeness of being a one-of-a-kind snowflake.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I enjoyed Too Human, but not enough to adore it.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShadyPingu

Okay, who had the .gif response last time? I did an image search but couldn't find it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By csl316

I enjoyed what came out of Too Human. Namely, a Video Thing featuring Choco Tacos.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By toowalrus

Really Really.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11  Edited By Levio

@Encephalon:

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MikkaQ

Careful now, or Jeff will come at you with his Japanese airsoft deagle.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#14  Edited By Dimsey

I thought it was okay. Just okay.  
    Not holding my breath for more.

hardcorebunni93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hardcorebunni93

Okay, well, not that surprising a feedback though. Could I get some justification though? I've always heard the usual barrage of "it was a shitfest" and whatnot, but never actually heard anything concrete other than people hating the control scheme...

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By foggel

Well, I loved racking up a good combo but the difficulty made that nearly impossible.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By _Zombie_

@believer258 said:

Yes. Out of seven billion people, you...

Too Human

...all right, yes.

Beat me to it by an hour.. crap.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Wemibelle

I tried to enjoy it but the combat just felt boring to me. Not really any skill to it. The story also seemed like it was all over the place (in the three hours or so I played of it). I'm pretty sure I still have it but it probably will never get played.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Getz

I was gonna post my Critical Miss comic here, but as it turns out you really are the only one.

Go figure.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SomeDeliCook

I have a friend who enjoyed it.

So unless you are him...

Actually Dyack enjoyed the hell out of it too, and I know that's not my friend

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By landon

It had great loot. That's about all that it had going for it.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By ajamafalous

FUUUUUCK YOUR THREAD TITLE FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ajamafalous

I actually did enjoy what I played of Too Human. Combat was kinda bad though.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Bad combat, poor controls, ugly look, kind of nonsensical.

The techno-Viking stuff (doof doof doof doof...oh wait, that's Techno Viking) had moments of being interesting, but even that has kind of been done before, and better.

hardcorebunni93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hardcorebunni93

@ajamafalous said:

What's wrong with it? Btw, I asked people to get more specific in their criticism of the game and so far there's been mostly generic and vague negative comments about the game in general. One guy said he didn't enjoy the combat as it was too hard, another said it was too easy. I was glad to see someone mention the "awesome loot" as some of the weapons you started getting at the high levels, as in 2nd and 3rd playthroughs were insanely awesome in terms of art design as well as power and as long as you scaled up the difficulty you wouldn't feel too overpowered while still having a nice challenge. And seriously, of all the bad vibes, no one is singling out the Valkyries??!!

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ajamafalous
    @hardcorebunni93 said:

@ajamafalous said:

What's wrong with it?

"Am I the only one?" 

As far as the combat goes, I didn't like the way it controlled. I think the game would've been much more well received if they hadn't tried to map a ton of different functions to the right stick.
    hardcorebunni93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By hardcorebunni93

@ajamafalous said:

@hardcorebunni93 said:

@ajamafalous said:

What's wrong with it?

"Am I the only one?" As far as the combat goes, I didn't like the way it controlled. I think the game would've been much more well received if they hadn't tried to map a ton of different functions to the right stick.

"The only one who enjoyed the hell outta" it. Yeah, I remember reading that complaint a lot. Personally I though it brought a dimension of finesse to the combat of games of the genre, in terms of console gaming at least, by removing some of the button-mashing it just felt fresh. Maybe Silicon Knights should've gone with the traditional control scheme with the face buttons for the strikes and the default double joystick option with the non-controlable camera. Anyways, I got a hang of it quite soon, took me a few run throughs through the demo and was slashing fools left and right, on the ground and in the air with tremendous glee. An RPG where you play a Viking demigod who apart from mythical swords, scythes, hammers and other melee weapons had pistols, machine guns and rocket launchers, etc. where there was a really neat combo/juggling system in place with the ability to then alllocate experience points into skills. I really don't see what you guys find so mediocre and boring about the game in general and the combat in specific and really feel like everyone in this thread should give it an earnest try but hey, go fuck myself, right? :P

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AssInAss

You're not the only one, I spent 150 hours on it from trying all the different classes and getting them to Level 50, for that epic loot. It's not the most polished, but it was really my first deep foray into dungeon crawler loot games and so I got really into the minutiae of charms, runes, etc.

I love the cyber-norse mythos, really unique combination. The voice acting and story was engaging and really well-done, Baldur's VA (Crispin Freeman) gave a great performance esp when he's betrayed by the council and lashes at Freya.

Ice Forest can go suck a dick, though.

Too bad I won't get the continuation to this cliffhanger:

No Caption Provided
    MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MegaLombax

I tried to like the game, i really did. the controls were not to my liking and the visual effects weren't that nice i thought. Granted, I only put in about maybe 5-6 hours in that game. But I found myself unable to to continue playing.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By frankfartmouth

People are jumping down your throat because you led your thread title with "Am I the only one." I did it awhile back too, not realizing that it would seem to be taken literally by half the people who read it. It's a figure of speech. I don't think anyone who says that really thinks they're the only one on earth who _________. It's just a shorthand way of saying, "I haven't run into many people who like this game or whatever, so who else feels the same way?" But so it goes. Naughty on you.

And I never played Too Human, so I can't say, but I had a friend who really liked it.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@hardcorebunni93: No, you are not a snowflake.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it.

But the gameplay felt very wooden and rickety, inventory was a mess, abilities were unclear and the game itself felt like it belonged on a previous generation.
    I did like it though, but the game was crushed under its fault in my eyes, shame since it had potential.

hardcorebunni93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By hardcorebunni93

@frankfartmouth: I see, so just your everday internet game forum wise-assery.

@GunslingerPanda: Best news of the day, bro.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Karkarov

It wasn't as bad as the reviews made it out to be. But it wasn't that good either. I had fun playing it through once and heck I even still own it what with the trade in value even when it was new not being worth the effort. The story was fun for those who know norse mythology and didn't mind a new take on it but the gameplay itself was just par. So yeah I enjoyed it okay I guess but it isn't making any sort of favorite games list. I am amazed you played it through more than twice ;p.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35  Edited By Justin258

@hardcorebunni93 said:

@ajamafalous said:

@hardcorebunni93 said:

@ajamafalous said:

What's wrong with it?

"Am I the only one?" As far as the combat goes, I didn't like the way it controlled. I think the game would've been much more well received if they hadn't tried to map a ton of different functions to the right stick.

"The only one who enjoyed the hell outta" it. Yeah, I remember reading that complaint a lot. Personally I though it brought a dimension of finesse to the combat of games of the genre, in terms of console gaming at least, by removing some of the button-mashing it just felt fresh. Maybe Silicon Knights should've gone with the traditional control scheme with the face buttons for the strikes and the default double joystick option with the non-controlable camera. Anyways, I got a hang of it quite soon, took me a few run throughs through the demo and was slashing fools left and right, on the ground and in the air with tremendous glee. An RPG where you play a Viking demigod who apart from mythical swords, scythes, hammers and other melee weapons had pistols, machine guns and rocket launchers, etc. where there was a really neat combo/juggling system in place with the ability to then alllocate experience points into skills. I really don't see what you guys find so mediocre and boring about the game in general and the combat in specific and really feel like everyone in this thread should give it an earnest try but hey, go fuck myself, right? :P

I think he was pointing out that "Am I The Only One"? thread titles have been incredibly overused and a certain section of the internet (myself included, not gonna lie) are smartasses to the ones that use that phrase for the simple reason that out of seven billion people, it should be quite obvious that you are never, ever, the only one.

I know it can feel like it sometimes, but a better phrase might be "Did you also like Too Human?" or "I actually liked Too Human" or something to that effect.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Canteu

I loved too human, and was sad when they cancelled the trilogy. It had so much potential that a second game would be able to iron out all the issues and make it less retarded in terms of design.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MeierTheRed

Nope, i beat it multiple times. I can't say it was a good game. But it was a decent game, and it was pretty addictive collecting all that loot.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Elazul

Well, as Jeff kept talking about it for weeks on end and how he couldn't stop playing it, I'd say no. It may not have been an objectively great game, but that didn't stop some people from having a good time with it.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#40  Edited By pyromagnestir

I'm actually disappointed no one put up that image. You've all let me down this day.

I wanted to give the game a shot because Eternal Darkness had built up a lot of good will from me, but I never did. Everything about the gameplay made it sound like they singled me out, figured out what I didn't enjoy, and then they put that in the game. Still sorta interested in giving it a chance though.

Wesker411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Wesker411
    @pyromagnestir: I was soo pissed when this game was announced. Was hoping for another Eternal Darkness, game was so good. Not sure why they don't make another.
    pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#42  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Wesker411: Nintendo has the rights to another Eternal Darkness, I think. That's part of the problem. At the time I was happy they were trying something different, and it did sound intriguing. But it just turned out to be very much not in my taste.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By pweidman

No you weren't. I loved it and have many friends who did as well. The only legit gripe imo, was the camera. It could be wonky and cause cheap deaths, but you got used to it, and the endgame, if you had the patience to get there, was glorious with a capital G. A shame Dyack f-ed up the set-up and PR for the game so bad; it never had a chance for the trilogy to continue...not even one piece of DLC came out. What a douche he is.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I enjoyed it. It had a lot of flaws and I wouldn't blame anyone for not liking it, but it certainly wasn't deserving of all the hate it sometimes gets.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By glots

Both of 'em sequels should come out, just so you could visit your local gameshop and ask the clerk for "One Too Human Three, please."

Never played it myself.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#46  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I liked it. At least enough to occasionally complain about how Two Human will never be made. Yeah, the game had plenty of faults, but it had enough good ideas that a sequel could have been truly great if it addressed the issues with the first.

Laxaloot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Laxaloot

Too Human was not a great game, or even a "decent" game. But I, too, enjoyed it. I don't know why. Maybe something about the 90's era invisible walls everywhere, the cement hair that can't move, and the dying animation that gave Navi a run for the "Most annoying part of a video game award" allowed the combat system to really shine. I have no idea. But I had a good time playing it.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By musclerider

I enjoyed it a whole hell of a lot considering you can get it for less than $5.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By stryker1121

@hardcorebunni93: I'd agree with your first point regarding the concept, but the game's pretty dire otherwise. More disappointing than anything I've played this gen. I love the dev but the game world SK created was sterile and the gameplay got extremely grindy very fast. SK took a great concept and made a boring, repetitive dungeon crawl...IMO.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By connerthekewlkid

it was okay but not spectacular

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.