Torchlight III announced (kind of)

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1 rorie  Staff

It turns out there's been/was going to be a free to play Torchlight game running called Torchlight Frontiers which is going to be dismantled (it was in alpha) and renamed Torchlight III. Also they're going to shift from the F2P model to a full-price model. I don't know if I necessarily care (I really liked TL1 but found 2 to be less enjoyable), but, hey, there's always room for another ARP-G in the world.

arcadefire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I want an arpg that middles between Diablo 3 and Path of Exile. TL1/2 just didn't quite grab me as I wish it had. Preferrably in a different universe. Demons and what not gets pretty tiring after awhile.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@arcadefire: Have you played Grim Dawn? I think that's a good middle ground between the two.

arcadefire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge said:

@arcadefire: Have you played Grim Dawn? I think that's a good middle ground between the two.

I've heard about it a lot but I've never looked into it. How active is the multiplayer on it?

My gripes with PoE basically stems from not being able to keep up with the season/grinding whereas D3 is fun but way too easy.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully some of that feedback included "don't make this a live-service, shared-world, dumbed-down boondoggle like Diablo." I could really go for a solid, no-frills single-player ARPG. Diablo 3 was kind of bad, and while PoE is okay for what it is, it's gotten so damn complicated over time that it's really hard to recommend to new players.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 34

#6 sparky_buzzsaw  Online

I'm hopeful for this so long as it doesn't turn into some kind of cash-grabby microtransaction heavy thing. But good on them for paying attention to the market, listening to feedback, and deciding to go a different route with their thing.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@arcadefire: I'm a solo bolo guy with ARPGs, so I can't speak from experience, but I know it's rather popular.

And yeah, it's definitely not a faceroll like D3, while also being less event-focused than either. Now, it's worth noting that I'm not very far into it... I haven't even finished the story. But initial impressions are very strong.

Avatar image for soimadeanaccount
soimadeanaccount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this going to be online only and game as a service kind of thing?

I am playing through Grim Dawn right now, and having a good time with it precisely because it isn't online only.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Interesting. It sounds like the feedback was overwhelmingly against a free-to-play model. I mean, taking feedback while alpha testing your game is one thing. Completely changing the proposed business model before release seems like a step further than most companies are willing to go. I hope this game does well for them.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh wow so they scraped all the stupid ideas from Froniters eh? I played in the alpha and thought it was super bad. Interesting to see they just ended up cutting off all the fat and salvaging what bits were still ARPG. I'm kinda looking forward to this now.

JoeDangerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice I'm on board. I'm starting to get a bit sick of these types of games, but the D2 Necromancer just did too many things right so I have to hold out that another game can find that same groove.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice! I really liked Torchlight 2 (although it got way to hard for me) and I was looking forward to another game when (I believe) they announced they were shutting down or something.

It'd be nice to have a good ARPG that isn't completely dark(although I do love grim dawn)

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This genre has lost me hard. Almost every game in it is the fucking same at this point. Their uses of loot is boring and makes it all seem like busy work and the combat in most of them is totally mindless. Some even have taken all build consideration out as you can swap all your abilities and things on the fly. I just don't get whats behind these decisions but until something changes it up I can't get excited for another ARPG.

BigSocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stephen_von_cloud: Yeah. I had fun with Diablo III playing through with a friend, where it functioned something like a glorified chat room and was something mindless for us to do while we talked, but I played Torchlight II's console port last year and in addition to being kind of buggy on Xbox (it wouldn't launch for like a month after I bought it, which was a known issue they took way too long to fix, and then when I played it a bunch of achievements failed to trigger and it crashed a few times) it was just sort of boring. The "story," such as it was sucked, the gameplay was super repetitive, and the loot just wasn't interesting enough to carry the game. Maybe with mods on PC or in co-op it could have been a decent time waster, but I just did not have a lot of fun with it (though I did finish the story.)

On the other hand the thing they were making for Torchlight Frontiers just sounded like a nightmare corporate disaster that nobody wants to play, so at least this will excite people who still like AARPGs, even if I personally may not enjoy it.

I know that Runic is no more, but what I'd really like would be a Hob II. I played Hob about a year ago even though that game was also buggy I ended up really enjoying it. Hob's deeper combat, much stronger worldbuilding/visuals, and puzzles and traversal made for a much more satisfying experience for me.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Loved the first two games; in fact, TL2 was the last RPG of this variety that I really got into. Glad to see they're making another one.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Once again, a Torchlight game is going to launch around a Diablo game when there were many perfectly fine years available.

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought I heard news that Runic Games had shut down not all that long ago. Loved the 2nd game, not sure how I feel about this game though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.