Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Torchlight

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 27, 2009

Torchlight is a Diablo-style action RPG from Runic Games. The game features three classes, randomly generated dungeons, and lots and lots of loot.

If you own a hacked copy of Torchlight...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By demonbear

... you should go out back and hang yourself. Because you suck so much you don't deserve life.

Seriously I don't mind people pirating games from Activision or Blizzard or Square because those are massive corporations, greedy to some level and, while its wrong to do it, I don't care as much.

But an independant developper comes out with a nice game, one of the best diablo clones you could ask for ( single player ), its got charm and style, and you won't even pay 20$ for it?

Get out of my internet, you disgust me!

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Fallen189

I'm reporting this stupid thread, sorry.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@Fallen189 said:
    " I'm reporting this stupid thread, sorry. "
    Why? he does make sense, fuck those people who pirate this game, these guy deserve the money.
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By demonbear

Why? Why everytime piracy is on the table on these boards, its getting locked? Its so taboo here its like trying to have a conversation about sex on the Disney forums, sheesh.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By FunExplosions

I agree... but what provoked this thread?

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Fallen189
    @Bucketdeth said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    Why? he does make sense, fuck those people who pirate this game, these guy deserve the money. "
    Because what's the REAL discussion purpose here? This just in : People pirate games.

Yeah, it's not "Good for the industry", but it will happen, it does happen, and it will never stop happening.

If he discussed it in a coherent and well thought out manner, maybe it would be worth reading. But all he said was "Fuck pirates, go kill yourselves LOLOL INTERNET"
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By demonbear
    @FunExplosions said:
    " I agree... but what provoked this thread? "
    These days at work, theres like 4,5 people playing this game and none of them paid for it. And when confronted about it, No one cares. And it pisses me off, i had to tell somewhere. Plus I think there is a high concentration of people here playing on pirated consoles and hacked pc games. 

If we would be allowed to talk about it on these boards i think we'd be surprised of the results...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Fallen189 said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    Why? he does make sense, fuck those people who pirate this game, these guy deserve the money. "
    Because what's the REAL discussion purpose here? This just in : People pirate games.  Yeah, it's not "Good for the industry", but it will happen, it does happen, and it will never stop happening.  If he discussed it in a coherent and well thought out manner, maybe it would be worth reading. But all he said was "Fuck pirates, go kill yourselves LOLOL INTERNET" "
    So he posted his thoughts on pirates, it might not be a wall of text but it's fucking true, it pisses me off when small companies like this who make awesome games and release for $20 get a kick in the face. 
    Of course it's going to happen, you can't stop them all, but thats like saying "Oh yeah those people in Africa, yeah there starving but they'll always starve" that maybe a little extreme but it's true.
    Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Out_On_Bail

I agree but it's hypocritical to say it's okay to pirate from one company and not from another. Pirating games is wrong, regardless of who made them.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By demonbear
    @Bucketdeth said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    Because what's the REAL discussion purpose here? This just in : People pirate games.  Yeah, it's not "Good for the industry", but it will happen, it does happen, and it will never stop happening.  If he discussed it in a coherent and well thought out manner, maybe it would be worth reading. But all he said was "Fuck pirates, go kill yourselves LOLOL INTERNET" "
    So he posted his thoughts on pirates, it might not be a wall of text but it's fucking true, it pisses me off when small companies like this who make awesome games and release for $20 get a kick in the face. Of course it's going to happen, you can't stop them all, but thats like saying "Oh yeah those people in Africa, yeah there starving but they'll always starve" that maybe a little extreme but it's true. "
    That's alright, Fallen probably owns a pirated copy ;)

@Out_On_Bail said:

" I agree but it's hypocritical to say it's okay to pirate from one company and not from another. Pirating games is wrong, regardless of who made them. "

On paper, yes, but there much more impact on the independant dev. It could kill them. You cannot ignore that fact.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Out_On_Bail said:
    " I agree but it's hypocritical to say it's okay to pirate from one company and not from another. Pirating games is wrong, regardless of who made them. "
    I agree with this.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By End_Boss

Yep, pirates definitely suck, especially those short-sighted and self-absorbed ones that think stealing their shit is edgy.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#13  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
    @Out_On_Bail said:
    "I agree but it's hypocritical to say it's okay to pirate from one company and not from another. Pirating games is wrong, regardless of who made them. "

Exactly.  There is no excuse for pirating games whatsoever.
    cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By cinemandrew

Pirating games is definitely wrong, and it's definitely an issue, but Torchlight is selling fine. It's been on Steam's top 10 since it was released. From what I understand, they base that list off of the amount of money it's bringing in, and not number of units. So if it's tied with MW2 (It's not, just an example), that means that for every copy of MW2 that's sold on Steam, Torchlight sold 3. That's pretty impressive considering it was actually in the top 5 for quite some time. 

People shouldn't be pirating this game. Especially considering the excellent price point. Fortunately though, it doesn't seem to be affecting sales too much. There's a ton of people out there who have seen the value in this product and paid their $20 happily.

i69edUrGpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By i69edUrGpa
    @Fallen189 said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    " @Fallen189 said:

OMG OMG OMG OR YOU COULD JUST NOT COME IN THIS THREAD. GOOD THING YOU DON'T CARE WAY TOO MUCH ABOUT ANYTHING!!! I LIKE YOU SO MUCH!!! CAN WE WATCH HENTAI TOGETHOR AND FINISH IN EACHOTHERS HAIR?!! BECAUSE YOU TOTALLY SEEM COOL ENOUGH!!! OMG OMG OMG
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By demonbear
    @Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
    " @Out_On_Bail said:
    "I agree but it's hypocritical to say it's okay to pirate from one company and not from another. Pirating games is wrong, regardless of who made them. "
    Exactly.  There is no excuse for pirating games whatsoever. "
    Sure, but go ask to Infinity Ward if piracy is hurting them, and then go ask Runic. 

Like it or not, there Is a difference. I never said it was ok either, i said i dont mind as much.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By ajamafalous
    @demonbear said:
    " ... you should go out back and hang yourself. Because you suck so much you don't deserve life.  Seriously I don't mind people pirating games from Activision or Blizzard or Square because those are massive corporations, greedy to some level and, while its wrong to do it, I don't care as much.  But an independant developper comes out with a nice game, one of the best diablo clones you could ask for ( single player ), its got charm and style, and you won't even pay 20$ for it?  Get out of my internet, you disgust me! "
    How many games has Blizzard released in the last 10 years that weren't expansions for WoW?
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By demonbear
    @ajamafalous said:

" @demonbear said:

" ... you should go out back and hang yourself. Because you suck so much you don't deserve life.  Seriously I don't mind people pirating games from Activision or Blizzard or Square because those are massive corporations, greedy to some level and, while its wrong to do it, I don't care as much.  But an independant developper comes out with a nice game, one of the best diablo clones you could ask for ( single player ), its got charm and style, and you won't even pay 20$ for it?  Get out of my internet, you disgust me! "
    How many games has Blizzard released in the last 10 years that weren't expansions for WoW? "
    I'm sorry, when you charge cash for pets in your mmo, guess what? You're officially greedy. But that's not the subject here.
    Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Hamst3r
    @demonbear said:
    On paper, yes, but there much more impact on the independant dev."
     I'm on your side with this. Just sayin', since there will be a bunch of people not agreeing with you in this thread. :P
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By demonbear
    @cinemandrew said:
    " Pirating games is definitely wrong, and it's definitely an issue, but Torchlight is selling fine. It's been on Steam's top 10 since it was released. From what I understand, they base that list off of the amount of money it's bringing in, and not number of units. So if it's tied with MW2 (It's not, just an example), that means that for every copy of MW2 that's sold on Steam, Torchlight sold 3. That's pretty impressive considering it was actually in the top 5 for quite some time.   People shouldn't be pirating this game. Especially considering the excellent price point. Fortunately though, it doesn't seem to be affecting sales too much. There's a ton of people out there who have seen the value in this product and paid their $20 happily. "
    Man I really hope you're right. We've seen lots of those independant studios struggling on the pc market and finally shut down because mainly of piracy.

But you do make a good point though, Steam is a new factor in the equation compared to 3,4 years ago.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ajamafalous
    @demonbear said:
    " @ajamafalous said:

" @demonbear said:

How many games has Blizzard released in the last 10 years that weren't expansions for WoW? "
    I'm sorry, when you charge cash for pets in your mmo, guess what? You're officially greedy. But that's not the subject here. "
    When did they charge cash for pets?
    Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Meltac

Well, I'm buying the gamer later today =D

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Fallen189
    @i69edUrGpa said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    OMG OMG OMG OR YOU COULD JUST NOT COME IN THIS THREAD. GOOD THING YOU DON'T CARE WAY TOO MUCH ABOUT ANYTHING!!! I LIKE YOU SO MUCH!!! CAN WE WATCH HENTAI TOGETHOR AND FINISH IN EACHOTHERS HAIR?!! BECAUSE YOU TOTALLY SEEM COOL ENOUGH!!! OMG OMG OMG "
    How unbearably cute. You're really sweet :3

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#24  Edited By Atlas

All piracy is wrong, regardless of the publisher. People need to stop being jerks.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By demonbear
    @ajamafalous said:

" @demonbear said:

" @ajamafalous said:

" @demonbear said:

I'm sorry, when you charge cash for pets in your mmo, guess what? You're officially greedy. But that's not the subject here. "
    When did they charge cash for pets? "
     http://us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100000763

You're welcome.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ajamafalous
    @demonbear: I thought you meant combat pets.

These are both non-combat pets and half the money goes to charity.
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By demonbear
    @ajamafalous said:
    " @demonbear: I thought you meant combat pets.  These are both non-combat pets and half the money goes to charity. "
    Incorrect, one of them, half the money goes to charity, the other, the cat one, is pure bitchin' profit.

Stop being a fanboy and also, this is not the subject of this thread.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ajamafalous
    @demonbear: You only linked me to the panda, which is all I saw. Also:

@demonbear said:
    " Stop being a fanboy "
    Yawn. Call me a fanboy because I disagree with you.

Anyway, to "keep this on topic," yes, Torchlight definitely deserves to be purchased. I'll end up buying it if it goes on sale, as I enjoyed the demo.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Where's the discussion? Flagged.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By demonbear
    @TheMustacheHero said:

" Where's the discussion? Flagged. "

don't be an ass then, let's discuss. What do you think? Do you think it matters to independant devs more that piracy hurts their sales or not?
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @demonbear said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:

" Where's the discussion? Flagged. "

don't be an ass then, let's discuss. What do you think? Do you think it matters to independant devs more that piracy hurts their sales or not? "
    How about you put that in your original thread that just giving an opinion about why we should give them our money because they're a small developer.
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#32  Edited By Symphony

Torchlight is well worth the $20 it costs. I enjoyed it immensely.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By angelkanarias

Well, piracy itself is ''wrong'', so it doesn't matter against who you are using it. Yeah, that sucks, but that's the way things roll in dA iNtErNeTz.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Diamond

You're a hypocrite for saying you don't mind if big publisher games get pirated.  Nothing different about small ones and big ones.  People lose their jobs, don't get pay raises, and most importantly to customers it raises prices and reduces game quality.

edit : but yea, flagged too

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35  Edited By killroycantkill

Why does it matter that it is an independant dev? I have yet to play the game since I just bought NGS2 and MW2 but I will eventually. I'm on the side of "its not ok to pirate games in general". Its really easy to hate a big coporation, if your argument is "These little developers need the money because their small" its kind of flawed because people who work for Activision and EA also need game sales to support themselfs. I guess in short (shorter than this two line paragraph) it shouldn't matter if a developer is big or small, game shouldn't be pirated because people make a living with this things and as long as its a good game it dosen't matter what company its from you should always buy it instead of pirating it.

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Aeterna

It's just like music, people will download and thus know of more music and the income revenue will come from concerts instead of record sales on a disc-based medium. 

It's actually proven in multiple studies that the music business is doing better because of people pirating, they're actually spending more money on music than before. 
    Same thing with me; I now buy more games that I enjoy than before.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator  Online

Indeed it's important to support indie developers. With big publishers in the industry often only being willing to go with the time-tested formulas of the types of games that they know will sell it's often up to the indie companies to come out with niche titles and/or push the limits of video game innovation. Buying indie games instead of pirating them not only keeps these companies in business but also sends out the message that consumers enjoy the kind of originality and other great elements that many indie developers are bringing to the table, which many big corporations just aren't.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#38  Edited By citizenkane

The hypocrisy in this thread is mind blowing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.