Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Torchlight

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 27, 2009

Torchlight is a Diablo-style action RPG from Runic Games. The game features three classes, randomly generated dungeons, and lots and lots of loot.

Torchlight- And so it begins!

Grambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By Grambo
    No Caption Provided

As of last night, I am amazedastoundedin awe of addicted by the game Torchlight. I have heard a few things here and there about the game in general but as usual I thought nothing of it. However, I grew tired of listening to my friends banter on about how much fun they were having with Diablo 3! So! I did what any other console gamer would do and looked for a game similar to Diablo. And what do you know?! Torchlight is actually developed by some of the same people responsible for Diablo! I hopped right on that. For a decent price of.. What was it? 1200 Microsoft Points? Bought the game, downloaded from the Marketplace, and began my quest!

Because I've never played an action rpg before, I knew more about rocket science than this... But, I learn fast.

No Caption Provided

I looked over the 3 playable classes and quickly chose the one that fit my play style; the Berserker. This juggernaut of a character specializes in melee combat and also has a defensive spec tree. When it comes to video games, I am intent on never dying, so I like to get the best gear, health, and defensive stats as possible. Other than that, I had no idea what to do.

After a short little dialog intro you're thrown into the mine town of Torchlight. With little more than a thirst for adventure I barreled through the "Tutorial" part of the game. Which surprisingly, is almost nonexistent! You actually have to learn how to play the game instead of having your hands held through the first hour or so... Props to the DEV team on that!

Anyway, I was just slugging my way toward glory and fame when all of a sudden... I realized that I needed some sleep.

I absolutely cannot wait to play this game again! I would recommend it to anyone looking for a change in pace or atmosphere. Torchlight is well worth the money and time. I'm already looking forward to the newest Torchlight release this summer!

I will keep a blog going throughout my adventures! SO please come back for more, if you're interested! Thanks!

OH! And follow me for any updates and activities pertaining to Torchlight, Torchlight II, or any other subjects you wish to learn more about.

Grambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Grambo
    No Caption Provided

As of last night, I am amazedastoundedin awe of addicted by the game Torchlight. I have heard a few things here and there about the game in general but as usual I thought nothing of it. However, I grew tired of listening to my friends banter on about how much fun they were having with Diablo 3! So! I did what any other console gamer would do and looked for a game similar to Diablo. And what do you know?! Torchlight is actually developed by some of the same people responsible for Diablo! I hopped right on that. For a decent price of.. What was it? 1200 Microsoft Points? Bought the game, downloaded from the Marketplace, and began my quest!

Because I've never played an action rpg before, I knew more about rocket science than this... But, I learn fast.

No Caption Provided

I looked over the 3 playable classes and quickly chose the one that fit my play style; the Berserker. This juggernaut of a character specializes in melee combat and also has a defensive spec tree. When it comes to video games, I am intent on never dying, so I like to get the best gear, health, and defensive stats as possible. Other than that, I had no idea what to do.

After a short little dialog intro you're thrown into the mine town of Torchlight. With little more than a thirst for adventure I barreled through the "Tutorial" part of the game. Which surprisingly, is almost nonexistent! You actually have to learn how to play the game instead of having your hands held through the first hour or so... Props to the DEV team on that!

Anyway, I was just slugging my way toward glory and fame when all of a sudden... I realized that I needed some sleep.

I absolutely cannot wait to play this game again! I would recommend it to anyone looking for a change in pace or atmosphere. Torchlight is well worth the money and time. I'm already looking forward to the newest Torchlight release this summer!

I will keep a blog going throughout my adventures! SO please come back for more, if you're interested! Thanks!

OH! And follow me for any updates and activities pertaining to Torchlight, Torchlight II, or any other subjects you wish to learn more about.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Seedofpower

Yeah man next one should be pretty sweet. I'm pumped for it.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Torchlight is awesome. Try not to use the word "toon".

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By impartialgecko

Running into any framerate issues? I only played some of the PC version but I heard the XBLA port was kind of rough in spots

Grambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Grambo

@Rolyatkcinmai: Sorry! I played WoW so I'm used to calling any characters toons.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TentPole

I believe the term "toon" is always stupid, but then again I am a snooty fuck.

Congrats on finding a great game.

Grambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Grambo

@adam1808: I have actually! My xbox is some sort of old so it has problems sometimes. I just figured that's what it was. It's not bad but sometimes when alot is going on it lags. How's it for you?

Grambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Grambo

@TentPole: Alright, well this is my first time and I'm trying to get into blogging. Thanks for the criticism! I'll stop using Toon!

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By sickVisionz

I did the same thing. I wanted to play Diablo 3, my PC couldn't so I purchased similar games (Too Human, Torchlight, and Dungeon Siege 3).

Dungeon Siege has the most enjoyable combat, but the camera is god awful for the type of action it's trying to have. Torchlight is pretty cool. I think it has the best loot but god, the game is too much of a cakewalk. Not being able to switch difficulty on the fly is a real bummer. I wish I'd known that normal was like the difficulty setting for people playing on a X-box 360 but are so unfamiliar with video games they couldn't tell someone what a X-box 360 was.

I'm still itching to try Diablo 3 though. The combat looks a little better (although I really wish someone would make like a Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta with random dungeons, loot drops, and gear that gave you status effects) than Torchlight.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Christoffer

I put more hours into Torchlight than I'll ever do on D3, so yeah, I think it's a pretty awesome game. I'm excited for the sequel.

Also, killing stuff fast may sometimes be better then turteling when trying to stay alive :)

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ravenlight

Having put hundreds of hours into both Torchlight and the collective Diablo series, I've got to say that while Torchlight is easier to just pick up and play, I find Diablo more rewarding in the long term.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12  Edited By impartialgecko

@Grambo: It doesn't happen to me anymore now I run it on a PC, but yeah I don't think the XBLA version can handle all the particle effects. When I played it on 360 it would chug a bit when I was surrounded or was using my more powerful AOE abilities

ShenaniganZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ShenaniganZ

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

Torchlight is awesome. Try not to use the word "toon".

I second that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.