Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Torchlight

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 27, 2009

Torchlight is a Diablo-style action RPG from Runic Games. The game features three classes, randomly generated dungeons, and lots and lots of loot.

Torchlight coming to XBLA

sterbacblu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By sterbacblu

The XBLA House Party starts next month and Torchlight is part of the lineup.  According to PR...

"Torchlight" (Runic Games Inc./Microsoft Corp.) E10+ (Everyone 10+) A highly regarded PC game with more than 800,000 units sold to date, "Torchlight" is now coming to Xbox LIVE. Combat is more exciting with revamped controls and mechanics, new armor and quests. There's even an exclusive new pet for your character. Send a select goodie or two to your friends on Xbox LIVE* to share the fun for the first time.    

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

Nice. Those Runic guys deserve all the sales they can get. They seem like cool dudes.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By jasta

Nice one, however I've already played the shit out of the PC version, so I wont be buying it.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Meltac

I'm just going to wait for Torchlight 2, but I hope that it'll sell well on XBLA. 

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By triple07

Sweet might pick it up. Still I played it a bunch on my Mac when Steam came to Mac so not sure. Still I love Torchlight so I hope it sells well.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By mazik765

I'll probably pick this up if only to support the Runic guys, and for real achievements!

sterbacblu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sterbacblu

I'll at least get the trial to see how it plays with a controller.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By JJOR64

:D

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Daveyo520

That share the fun better mean co-op. If so new stuff is great.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Axersia

Anyone else starting to get a little tired of Microsoft buying exclusivity on everything lately? This game was announced for both PSN and XBLA back in August and now it's an XBLA exclusive because Microsoft handed them a bunch of money and is publishing it.

I suppose I don't care too much as I've already played the PC version, but I was fully prepared to double dip for such an excellent game. Now I'll have to think twice before buying another Runic product as this is no way to treat your fans. Don't make any mention of a PSN version if there's a possibility it won't get released.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Jeust
    @Axersia said:

" Anyone else starting to get a little tired of Microsoft buying exclusivity on everything lately? This game was announced for both PSN and XBLA back in August and now it's an XBLA exclusive because Microsoft handed them a bunch of money and is publishing it. I suppose I don't care too much as I've already played the PC version, but I was fully prepared to double dip for such an excellent game. Now I'll have to think twice before buying another Runic product as this is no way to treat your fans. Don't make any mention of a PSN version if there's a possibility it won't get released. "

I don't know which is the bigger fool... 

You don't know why it won't release on PSN for now. The world isn't black and white. It might have to do with Runic games putting more effort for now on the XBL version, not to miss out on the XBLA House Party event, could have to deal with PSN and XBL requirements (like the size of the game, fees,...), might be about intricacies of programming for each of the services, or because of Microsoft's direct support, or some other thing. You're hating what you don't know.  
    Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Noodles
    @Axersia said:
    " Anyone else starting to get a little tired of Microsoft buying exclusivity on everything lately? This game was announced for both PSN and XBLA back in August and now it's an XBLA exclusive because Microsoft handed them a bunch of money and is publishing it. I suppose I don't care too much as I've already played the PC version, but I was fully prepared to double dip for such an excellent game. Now I'll have to think twice before buying another Runic product as this is no way to treat your fans. Don't make any mention of a PSN version if there's a possibility it won't get released. "
    Don't blame Runic, blame Microsoft. It's bad business to turn down a deal like that; the extra promotion alone will probably make them more money than a PSN version.

And really, you were going to play this on PSN even though you have it on PC? For shame.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Enigma777

I don't see the appeal of this game. I love Diablo as much as the next guy, but this just seems like a cheap knockoff with a lame artstyle. Then again it will probably be the closses console owners will ever get to Diablo 3 :(

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lautaro
    @Jeust said:

" @Axersia said:

I don't know which is the bigger fool...  You don't know why it won't release on PSN for now. The world isn't black and white. It might have to do with Runic games putting more effort for now on the XBL version, not to miss out on the XBLA House Party event, could have to deal with PSN and XBL requirements (like the size of the game, fees,...), might be about intricacies of programming for each of the services, or because of Microsoft's direct support, or some other thing. You're hating what you don't know.   "
     Bad news for PlayStation 3 owners, though: "No PS3 plans to speak of," Baldtree says. "Microsoft is acting as the publisher on this one."  
      http://www.destructoid.com/torchlight-xbla-detailed-but-no-plans-for-ps3-version-190947.phtml#ext
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jeust
    @Enigma777 said:

" I don't see the appeal of this game. I love Diablo as much as the next guy, but this just seems like a cheap knockoff with a lame artstyle. Then again it will probably be the closses console owners will ever get to Diablo 3 :( "

You have to see that these guys are part of the team that developed Diablo 1 and 2, and left almost in its entirety Blizzard. 

You are wailing like Diablo 3 will be the shit, when in truth there isn't much to be optimistic about it. The art style and vibe of the game is completely different from what it were and the team developing it said that will imprint their own vision into Diablo 3. The only thing that assures some trust is the Blizzard trademark, but given Starcraft 2, I think that they were more acclaimed in the past. 
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Axersia said:
    Buying exclusivity is always bad for gamers.. But Sony are guilty of the same thing, infact, usually far more so. 
    In this case, the game is being published and funded by MS, so I don't see the big deal.  It's no different from say..  inFamous being exclusive to the PS3, simply because Sony publish it. 

Beyond Good & Evil on the other hand is another story.  But a PSN version will likely come eventually.
    hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hexx462

Very curious to see how this pans out. If it controls well I may get roped back in for the achievements. Plus it'll be fun to play on a 42" HDTV.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Enigma777
    @Jeust said:

" @Enigma777 said:

" I don't see the appeal of this game. I love Diablo as much as the next guy, but this just seems like a cheap knockoff with a lame artstyle. Then again it will probably be the closses console owners will ever get to Diablo 3 :( "

You have to see that these guys are part of the team that developed Diablo 1 and 2, and left almost in its entirety Blizzard.  You are wailing like Diablo 3 will be the shit, when in truth there isn't much to be optimistic about it. The art style and vibe of the game is completely different from what it were and the team developing it said that will imprint their own vision into Diablo 3. The only thing that assures some trust is the Blizzard trademark, but given Starcraft 2, I think that they were more acclaimed in the past.  "
    Diablo 3will be the shit. There is absolutely nothing I've seen of it that points otherwise....
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-06-torchlight-xbla-better-than-on-pc  

Article about the changes.  New quests, armour and controls changed to work better on the 360 pad as well as a few of the game mechanics. 
    Sounds good and should work fine.  I don't see any reason why a game like this couldn't work really well on consoles, despite what a few PC gamers will inevitably chime in with saying. 
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jeust
    @Enigma777 said:

" @Jeust said:

" @Enigma777 said:

You have to see that these guys are part of the team that developed Diablo 1 and 2, and left almost in its entirety Blizzard.  You are wailing like Diablo 3 will be the shit, when in truth there isn't much to be optimistic about it. The art style and vibe of the game is completely different from what it were and the team developing it said that will imprint their own vision into Diablo 3. The only thing that assures some trust is the Blizzard trademark, but given Starcraft 2, I think that they were more acclaimed in the past.  "
    Diablo 3 will be the shit. There is absolutely nothing I've seen of it that points otherwise.... "
    It will be good, but I don't believe it will on par to the hype around it. 
    AndyPhifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AndyPhifer

@Axersia said:

"Anyone else starting to get a little tired of Microsoft buying exclusivity on everything lately? This game was announced for both PSN and XBLA back in August and now it's an XBLA exclusive because Microsoft handed them a bunch of money and is publishing it. I suppose I don't care too much as I've already played the PC version, but I was fully prepared to double dip for such an excellent game. Now I'll have to think twice before buying another Runic product as this is no way to treat your fans. Don't make any mention of a PSN version if there's a possibility it won't get released."

A true Runic fan might recall that the whole reason they did Torchlight was to practice the process, do a sort of beta for the game they really want to make (the MMO) and make money to fund that future MMO. So sure, be mad if you want to, but with the cash they're getting they'll be able to invest in future games and hopefully the full-blown MMO version of Torchlight. They set out to make money, as does anyone in a business, and they have now made money. Deal with it.
    mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mesklinite
    @Axersia said:
    "Anyone else starting to get a little tired of Microsoft buying exclusivity on everything lately? This game was announced for both PSN and XBLA back in August and now it's an XBLA exclusive because Microsoft handed them a bunch of money and is publishing it. I suppose I don't care too much as I've already played the PC version, but I was fully prepared to double dip for such an excellent game. Now I'll have to think twice before buying another Runic product as this is no way to treat your fans. Don't make any mention of a PSN version if there's a possibility it won't get released."

PS3 isn't the easiest platform to develop for. For a small developper I'm sure making some for 360 is much less effort then PS3 if you already have the game running on PC. It's natural that this happens, microsoft makes windows.
    fazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By fazzle

If it's more than 400 points, it's overpriced. 

Not as a knock on the game, just more based on the fact that Steam has it on sale for 5bux every other week, it seems like.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SomeJerk
    @Axersia said:

I'm with you on this. Fuck Microsoft and their exclusive buying bullshit, the EU would tear them to pieces for anti-competitive asshole behaviour if they got the chance, similar to how I won't touch Intel or Nvidia or Creative Labs because of their crimiinal scumbag business practices it looks less and less likely I will ever buy an MS console. This is what your Gold subscription money is going towards people, fucking over gamers so a company with infinite funds can make even more money from you.
    Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Meltac
    @somejerk said:
    " @Axersia said:

I'm with you on this. Fuck Microsoft and their exclusive buying bullshit, the EU would tear them to pieces for anti-competitive asshole behaviour if they got the chance, similar to how I won't touch Intel or Nvidia or Creative Labs because of their crimiinal scumbag business practices it looks less and less likely I will ever buy an MS console. This is what your Gold subscription money is going towards people, fucking over gamers so a company with infinite funds can make even more money from you.
    "
    YEAH FUCK MICROSOFT! THEY HATE US GAMERS AND ALL GAME DEVELOPERS! LETS FIND MR GATES AND BURN HIM!
    groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By groin
    @somejerk said:

" @Axersia said:

"
    I just renewed my Xbox Live Gold for 3 years. Are you mad?
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Enigma777
    @somejerk said:
    " @Axersia said:

"
    This... can't actually be serious, right? No one in their sane mind actually thinks like that, do they?
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By zombie2011

Getting this day one.

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By hexx462
    @somejerk said:
    " This is what your Gold subscription money is going towards people, fucking over gamers so a company with infinite funds can make even more money from you."
    Really? Is this worth getting all bent out of shape over? Also Torchlight has been available on PC for over a year and doesn't require a monster PC to run. Should 360 owners be ranting and raving about not being able to play Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Infamous, or PSN exclusives? Is Sony  FUCKING them over too?  Elaborate. 

Console exclusives are fact of life.
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bouke

Sweet! If Diablo doesn't get a console port: i'll just play this instead!

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Axersia
    @hexx462 said:
    " @somejerk said:
    " This is what your Gold subscription money is going towards people, fucking over gamers so a company with infinite funds can make even more money from you."
    Really? Is this worth getting all bent out of shape over? Also Torchlight has been available on PC for over a year and doesn't require a monster PC to run. Should 360 owners be ranting and raving about not being able to play Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Infamous, or PSN exclusives? Is Sony  FUCKING them over too?  Elaborate.   Console exclusives are fact of life. "
    Those are all games by first/second-party developers and were never announced as multiplatformers to begin with. That's my main gripe with this. Back in August they explicitly stated they've been working on console versions for quite some time already and were planning to release the game on both PSN and XBLA by the holidays. Then everything went quiet for a while and all of a sudden news surfaces that it's an XBLA exclusive now. This certainly isn't the first time this has happened either. Hell, at this point we don't even know if they pulled the same crap with BG&E HD and Hard Corps or if they're just timed exclusives.

Doesn't that sound like a jerk move to you? Seriously, you can have Shatter. You can have Trine. You can have Joe Danger. I don't give a crap. Just don't take games away I've been expecting.

Perhaps you just don't understand seeing as your name is green and mine is gray.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Axersia said:

Those are all games by first/second-party developers...

So you have no problem with buying the whole development company to get exclusive rights, but you take offense to buying exclusivity rights to a single title?

I don't see much of a difference between the two.
    hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By hexx462
    @ProfessorEss said:
    So you have no problem with buying the whole development company to get exclusive rights, but you take offense to buying exclusivity rights to a single title?  I don't see much of a difference between the two. "
    There isn't any difference. Though I will concede that the bait and switch would be disappointing if one were excited for the (Runic) announced PSN version. That being said, this whole deal is nothing new or unprecedented for this industry from both Microsoft and Sony.

@Axersia said:
    " Just don't take games away I've been expecting. Perhaps you just don't understand seeing as your name is green and mine is gray. "
    Was actually kind of with your post until you dropped that precious little nugget.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.