Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Total War: Rome II

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 03, 2013

The successor to the acclaimed Rome: Total War and the eighth main entry in the Total War series, Total War: Rome II returns the series to classical antiquity.

What factions are you playing?

Avatar image for deactivated-616d38c07628a
    deactivated-616d38c07628a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm playing as Sparta(yeah I know pretty cheese), they got some really good troops, but their economy isn't that great. Fun to have a challenge though :)

So my fellow duders what are you playing as? Or what faction are you going to choose?

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

I'm definitely going to start with Rome. It may be vanilla, but it would be wrong to play this game without playing its central faction. My second choice will be Parthia. I had a ton of fun with them in the original Rome.

Bam_Boozilled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bam_Boozilled

Haven't gotten the game yet, but I've definitely been thinking about it. If I'm going to pick a faction I want to stick with it for the long haul. Unlike my Medieval 2 where I play a faction for 100 turns then lose the save or switch.

Rome seems like the obvious choice, and I'll want to play it at some point. I feel like that is the safest, but most common faction. Like England in Med 2. And for some reason I really don't want to play the faction everyone else plays.

The Greek City States in Rome 1 were my favorite(Armored Hoplites were legendary), and to this day are the only faction I've fully conquered the map with for any Total War game. Unfortunately that means paying an extra 8 dollars because I didn't preorder.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Captain_Insano

Rome as the Cornelia

after that I think the Suebi sound interesting and I'd like to play as a Barbarian faction

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Rome, and it's awesome. Love the new wrinkles to the game.

I imagine next I'd try Carthage, really trying to rewrite history and wipe Rome out, and then I'd probably give an eastern faction a shot, one that has cavalry archers (my favorite style of army throughout history). Hopefully one of the playables covers that style, I haven't checked.

JNeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rome for me as well. Their unit roster is more diverse and well, ROME!

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By donkeycow

Rome, because i enjoy kicking over Carthage's sand castle

Olu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Egypt, because they ahve crazy unit diversity. Hoplites, elephants, archers, camels, chariots, a lot of good pikes, they even have some barbarian mercenaries.

eggshellskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By eggshellskull

Rume currently, then probably Sparta for some sweet infantry action. I've always loved the maneuver of playing the Parthians though, and with the smoother unit pathing and response time I imagine cavalry on massive scales will be fun! I'm sure I'll give them a shot as well.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing Macedon on very hard difficulty and having a blast; picked 'em due to the way they have expanded the campaign-map so very far to the east. I mean to recreate Alexander the Great's career by tackling the seemingly impossible. That said, I conquered the greek state-cities and made protectorates of them, and after having cleared out the region got REALLY pissed at Rome who'd just snuck in and robbed me of one of the cities that should've been mine. As a result, I attacked the fuckers from the coast, between Carthage and I, they barely have any military strength left. I've just conquered Naples, and have an army standing at the gates of Rome as we speak.

Unsure what I'll do after this; maybe britannica, that'd be fun and very different.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I imagine next I'd try Carthage, really trying to rewrite history and wipe Rome out, and then I'd probably give an eastern faction a shot, one that has cavalry archers (my favorite style of army throughout history). Hopefully one of the playables covers that style, I haven't checked.

Try Parthia :), they have some really good cavalry, either with lance or bow. Met some of those cavalry they have in eastern Turkey and I lost many dudes to their charges

eggshellskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@do_the_manta_ray: Britannia is pretty awesome in this game culturally. They lack a lot of economy or military bonuses that other factions get, but they actually enjoy conflict, meaning that the more you fight the happier your people are. Easy way to take vast amounts of land and maintain a happy population. Pretty accurate to how the Brits behaved in real history as well.

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Elwoodan

I'm jumping back and forth between Rome-Julia and the Iceni, playing as Rome is a really awesome, because I've been conquering along a historically-accurate route.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@bamsen said:

@artisanbreads said:

Try Parthia :), they have some really good cavalry, either with lance or bow. Met some of those cavalry they have in eastern Turkey and I lost many dudes to their charges

Thanks for the tip man I will next.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gave up my Spartan game for now. My economy is in shambles, did many mistakes early on, 20+ factions at war with me and my unhappiness is too great :-/. Maybe a silly tip, but dont anger the Selucid Empire early on. Started a new game as Athens, and man this is going so much better. Captured the province Illyria(the balkans), wiped out Epirus and considering going against the barbarians to the north. And people like my a lot better in this game. Is epirus still alive in your games? They been wiped out before turn 5 in my 2 games

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.